FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: congrats flint & sheriff !!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

OK, I'm still waiting to find these stats that show crime goes up everytime unemployment and/or poverty go up!

Won't happen because there is no correlation.
Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
last time here

your still missing the point dude...still missing the point... Confused Confused
lord help us. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:50 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

The old "high employment equals more crime" is the same old excuse the apologists have been making for years. The thing that causes an increase in crime is an increase in criminals period.

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:50 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
The old "high employment equals more crime" is the same old excuse the apologists have been making for years. The thing that causes an increase in crime is an increase in criminals period.

No no no silly...the thing that causes crime is laws. If we legalized everything, there would be NO crime, hence no criminals. Now wouldn't that be a perfect world?
Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:02 pm 
last time here

put the bottle down FC

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:27 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I'm not missing the point.

The point is. Unemployment and Povert have a cause! It doesn't create an outcome of criminal behavior. Lack of education is the majority factor in Crime and Unemployment and Poverty!

Just because occasionally, high crime and high unemployment stats appear to be closely related.

Look beyond what you think you see. Poverty in Flint has been flat at 33 percent for 7 years. Up from 32 percent for the ten years prior. Crime was on a downward trend until 2003. 2004 saw a drastic increase. Unemployment was going down. (Again, no correlation).

Flint's drop out rate of 67 percent, has more to do with crime in the Flint area than any other issue.

If your going to continue down this road. Let me agree with you for a moment and give you a senerio.

1. GM opens a new plant and has 5000 jobs to give to Flint residents. How many criminals without a high school education will get a job?

2. With the new job base and lowered unemployment, will crime go up or down?

answers: 1. NONE 2. It will go up.

Just because you and I think that if we had a better job and had the money to buy what we wanted that WE WOULD NOT COMMIT CRIMES. That doesn't mean those that have already choosen their path will do the same.
Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
last time here

i still know that lack of viable employment is a CONTRIBUTOR to
desolation which is a CONTRIBUTOR to some acts of crime.
i can SHOW you examples. on this issue we will have to agree
to disagree..

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:49 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Don't forget to factor in those who feel they're too smart to "work".

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

oh sure dave, there are those who do not wish to work. i know some
of those types too, although to say that lack of employment is NOT
a contributing factor is incorrect... Cool Confused Confused Confused Cool

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:54 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
i still know that lack of viable employment is a CONTRIBUTOR to
desolation which is a CONTRIBUTOR to some acts of crime.
i can SHOW you examples. on this issue we will have to agree
to disagree..

You say you have an example? GIve it!
Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:41 pm 
last time here

give it?? no no no teddy. come and meet them.
Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:32 pm 
Gumby
F L I N T O I D

It is all or nothing with these people. What part of "only one of many factors" do you not friggen understand?

Guess what I even know that in some cases unemployment has nothing to do with the crime.
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:53 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Howdy y'all,

Crime is going to happen no matter what goes on, people commit crimes that don't have jobs, that do have jobs, that don't have children, that do have children, that do have a house, that don't have a house.

Thing is with criminal stats or any stats at all is they can always, always manipulated to state what you believe. That's why I will look at stats and then statistically reject them. Wink

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:42 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
give it?? no no no teddy. come and meet them.
Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you

Come and meet who?

The Criminals who have no reguard for anyone else willing to tell you they will rob you if you don't give them a job? That attitude and situation is criminal in and of itself? What is it that is so hard for you to understand. THEY ARE CRIMINALS wether they ahve a job or not!
Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:56 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Thing is with criminal stats or any stats at all is they can always, always manipulated to state what you believe. That's why I will look at stats and then statistically reject them.

While I agree that that's can be manipulated. I just used what is available. Crime stats, demographics such as poverty, and employment and education. These are what the government puts out. Not 100% correct. But when loooking at them over the coruse of ten to fifteen years. You can see trends. None of which follow any pattern remotely supporting the idea that Unemployment or poverty affect crime in that crime goes up when unemployment or poverty go up. It actually shows a complete oppisite.

Don't take my word. Research it yourself. There are many websites you can view demographic maps for free. Not even half the areas that have high crime have high unemployment or poverty.
Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:02 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: