FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: AG-Cox Opposes Blue Cross Plan to End Oversight, Raise Rates
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Thanks, Terry, for the Free Press link on this Blue Cross legislation for individual health care insurance. I was not aware of it but found additional references. Among the many sponsors of this legislation are Lee Gonzales and Brenda Clack. It appears to me the Insurance Commission has not been doing its job overseeing the rates charged for health insurance in this state.

In the HB 5282 and HB5283 Legislative Analysis it is stated: "Other Adjustments. Plan options, number of family members covered, Medicare eligibility, and tobacco use could also be used to establish premiums. The maximum surcharge for tobacco use could not exceed 35 percent of the premium." Note also, CRC Tax Outline on Michigan Tobacco Tax, http://www.crcmich.org/TaxOutline/Sales/tobacco.html, shows the history of increases in the tax to current rate of $2.00 per pack.

Any more increases in Blue Cross premium costs and I'll be back among the uninsured! I'll leave what I currently pay for premiums in a health care savings account for individual pay health care. If that doesn't cover it then providers who might treat me without payment can just file a claim against my estate when I die. (According to a couple people on MLive I can't be denied health care.)

------------------------------------------

AG - Cox Opposes Blue Cross Plan to End Oversight & Raise Rates on Old, Sick and Vulnerable
Contact: Rusty Hills or Matt Frendewey, Media Contacts 517-373-8060
Agency: Attorney General

December 3, 2007

DETROIT - Attorney General Mike Cox today called on the legislature to defeat a package of bills promoted by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Michigan (HB's 5282-5285) and urged the Governor to veto the bills if they come to her desk.

"Every change in this package of bills is aimed at increasing profits for a benevolent charity that is already making record profits now!" Cox said. "And the people, especially the old, sick, and most vulnerable, will pay more or lose insurance coverage. This is not about improving the quality of health care. These changes promote profits over people. They should be stopped."

"None of these bills will become law without the Governor's signature. I call on Governor Granholm to announce her opposition and stop these bills now," Cox added.

The package of bills (HBs 5282-5285) put forth by Blue Cross would:

• Eliminate "community rating" and force seniors and sicker
citizens to pay more than current law;
• Allow Blue Cross to charge new customers with certain illnesses
up to 80% more, without challenge;
• Allow Blue Cross to charge new customers with serious illnesses
up to 250% more, without challenge;
• Double the time available to deny coverage for pre-existing
illnesses, up to 12 months from the current six months;
• Triple the margins Blue Cross can keep from every premium
dollar (30% of every premium dollar);
• Enable Blue Cross to raise rates without consideration of their
surplus, for the first time ever;
• Allow Blue Cross to charge individuals more for health insurance
based on where they live, for the first time ever; and,
• Eliminate the role of the Attorney General to argue against rate
hikes and eliminate the ability of the Office of Financial and
Insurance Services (OFIS) to set rates.

"Oversight of rate requests by the Blues is critical," Cox said. "Just this year, our intervention reduced the Medigap rate hike, saving seniors $97.5 million initially, and more than $69 million annually after that."

Bill Knox, Associate State Director for Government Affairs for AARP, said: "The bills would kill the community rating system and allow a wide range of premiums based on health status, age, and geography. AARP favors a 'pure' community rating system with a single premium for everybody regardless of status. The bills would price older and sicker folks out of the individual market."

Charles Bell, Programs Director for Consumers Union, the nonprofit publisher of Consumer Reports, said: "Consumers Union strongly opposes the Blue Cross-sponsored legislation. These bills would drive up costs for many consumers and restrict access to coverage. The proposed legislation also contains many harsh anti-consumer provisions such as longer waiting periods for consumers with pre-existing conditions and elimination of both the policyholders' and Attorney General's ability to seek rate hearings. Such measures would hurt consumers across the board and have very negative impacts on vulnerable groups such as early retirees and chronically ill and disabled consumers who buy their own coverage. These bills are fatally flawed. They should be squarely rejected by policymakers."

These proposed changes come on the heels of record-breaking profits and rate increases by Blue Cross:

• Blue Cross' surplus is $2.8 billion, the highest in history and more
than double the $1.3 billion of five years ago;
• Since 2005, Blue Cross has spent hundreds of millions of dollars
purchasing five new companies from across the country;
• Blue Cross' premium rates for Group Conversion increased 92%
from 2003 to 2007;
• Blue Cross' premium rates for individuals increased 79% from 2003 to 2007;
• Over the last five years, Blue Cross and its subsidiaries have made more than
$1 million in profits per day; and,
• Since 2004, Blue Cross' top officers salary and benefits packages increased
by more than 42%, including Blue Cross President and CEO Richard Whitmer's
compensation of $4,253,558 in 2006.

"And all of this is happening against a backdrop of greater need," Cox noted. "One out of every four Michiganders is uninsured or on Medicaid, and the numbers continue to grow."

According to Cox: "The Blues want it both ways - they want to maintain their tax-exempt status, which is worth at least $75 million each and every year but eliminate state oversight; charge individuals based on where they live, for the first time ever, and triple their ability to make profits."

"The Blues were established to be a benevolent charity. With this package of bills, Blue Cross wants to abandon its historical mission to care for the oldest and sickest, and they want to gut the Attorney General's historical mission to protect them," Cox concluded.

Source: http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-164--181130--,00.html
Accessed: December 17, 2007

Reference: House Bills 5282-5285, http://www.michiganlegislature.org

Group challenges 24% Blues rate hike in Lansing
December 10, 2007
By Patricia Anstett, Free Press Medical Writer

"LANSING — A consumer challenge to a proposed 24% average rate hike for individual Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan began today, a case that will bring rate hikes or refunds to thousands of Michiganders.

The case affects 19,000 people under the age of 65 with individual Blue Cross policies but it has more important implications, given pending legislation that would end the ability of consumers and Michigan’s Attorney General to challenge Blue Cross rate hikes."

Source: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200771210040

2 polls, 2 views on Blue Cross rate-hike legislation
December 14, 2007
By Patricia Anstett, Free Press Medical Writer

"Two separate polls released this week from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and a coalition of commercial insurers reach opposite conclusions about how Michigan citizens view pending rate-changing legislation."

"Each poll asked about a four-bill legislative package promoted by Blue Cross to alter how it sets rates among individual policy holders and ending consumer and attorney general challenges to those rate hikes."

Source: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071214/BUSINESS06/712140380/1019/BUSINESS
Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:45 pm 
last time here

jesus!!! as it is i already use castor oil for every sickness i get!!!!!!
Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:30 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

From the Office of the Michigan Attorney General,
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Fact Sheet

THE NEED INCREASES
• One in four Michigan citizens is uninsured or on Medicaid. 1
• Between 2001 and 2006 the number of uninsured citizens (under the age 65) has
grown by more than 74,000.
• Between 2001 and 2007 the number of citizens on Medicaid has grown by nearly
• The number of Michigan small businesses providing health insurance to employees
decreased by 3% between 2000 and 2004.2

BLUE CROSS CASH RESERVES INCREASE
• Blue Cross reserves doubled to $2.8 billion between 2001 and 2006.

BLUE CROSS SALARIES INCREASE
• Blue Cross increased the compensation for its officers by 42% between 2004 and
• The president of Blue Cross – Michigan's compensation rose by more than 130%
between 2003 and 2006, from $1.8 million a year to more than $4.253 million a
year.

BLUE CROSS RATES INCREASE
• Premiums for individuals have increased 79% from 2003 through 2007.
• Premiums for group conversion3 have increased 92% from 2003 through 2007.
• Blue Cross sought a 50% hike in Medigap premiums for seniors in 2007.
o The Attorney General fought this and decreased the premium hike to 19%, saving
Michigan's seniors over $97.5 million dollars initially, and $69 million per year thereafter.

1 The data in this segment is from three sources: U.S. Census Bureau, Table HIA-6: Health Insurance Coverage Status & Type of Coverage by State (Michigan); Michigan Department of Human Services, Key Statistics Tables for FY 2001 & 2007, Table 12: Medicaid Eligibility; and http://www.statehealthfacts.org/profileind.jsp?ind=125&cat=3&rgn=24
2 U.S. Department of Health & Human Services: Medical Expenditure Panel Survey
3 Definition of Group Conversion: Process by which members who are no longer enrolled though a group may obtain individual converage(sic) , paying premiums directly though to the plan.

Source: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ag/11-30-07_Fact_Sheet_217268_7.pdf
Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:31 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I guess they don't get what medical care means.

Will they let me die of a stroke? No. But what about all the drugs I'll need afterwards? Check ups?

I had a fibroid that ruptured last year while I wasn't working. They didn't let me bleed to death from it, but because they're not "life-threatening" (at least, most of the time), they weren't going to give me surgery for them.

If that's our standard for "care", we really are screwed. But why should I be surprised. Most things that were our mark of excellence as Americans - our humanity towards others, our belief in inalienable rights -- are gone or in shambles.
Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:47 pm 
last time here

amen.

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:39 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Most things that were our mark of excellence as Americans - our humanity towards others, our belief in inalienable rights -- are gone or in shambles.

Humanity towards others. Jeez I guess, since we send Billions of tax dollars around the world to feed and clothe millions of suffering folks many who actually despise the USA. Here at home we have many taxpayer funded give away programs to help those who cannot or simply refuse to help themselves. You show me a more generous and caring country on the face of the earth. Loss of rights? well the only one that comes to mind is from a previous thread about the 2nd ammendment being constantly harrased by the left . You can let me know of some more rights we have lost since I am having trouble coming up with any. We are guaranteed the right of Life Liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness. But happiness is not guaranteed. Very Happy

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:58 pm 
last time here

yeah. the "i got mine" crowd....... Sad Embarassed Embarassed

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:14 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Still waiting for that list of rights we have lost.? still waiting,waiting.

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:43 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Twotap, I'm not available 24/7 to reply -- I'm usually only here during the day.

Loss of privacy. Illegal wiretapping = illegal search & seizure. Ignoring the Geneva Conventions. Extraordinary rendition. Media companies are merging -- erosion of a free press. Free speech: see Bong Hits 4 Jesus.

Providing for the common defense, another core responsibility of government. Well, while we wage our little ghost war over there over oil, we haven't done anything to fix the ports, we can still get bombs through airports, and the borders are broken.

It's hard to enjoy your inalienable right of LIFE or THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS if you're chronically ill and can get no care.

Great Britian recently passed us as the largest contributor to the world bank, despite their TINY economy compared to ours.

As a percent of our economy, we do not give that much aid around the world. We are surpassed by many other countries.

What else can I say...
Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:19 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

[quote]Loss of privacy. Illegal wiretapping = illegal search & seizure. Ignoring the Geneva Conventions. Extraordinary rendition. Media companies are merging -- erosion of a free press. Free speech:
quote:

Not a very impressive list. Confused I must say I dont remember myself or personally know anyone affected by any of the above. Loss of privacy??? Illegal wiretapping, well I suppose that does impact someone making over seas calls to known terrorists which I and most of my family avoid doing. Ignoring the Geneva conventions? Well darn I suppose their was a time or two we may have made a captured terrorist a tad uncomfortable but thats war. Eroision of free speach. I gotta agree with that one cause their are a bunch of folks trying to shutdown such evil venues as talk radio, fox news , and of course those darn internet blogs. War For OIL.??? Rolling Eyes Cmon I expected more from you. Even Hillary dosent make that absurd claim. By the way Good morning. Very Happy Very Happy

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:39 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Did you just read what you wrote? You AVOID doing it! I should have no fear of making any phone call I want! I should be able to call damn Saudi Arabia if I like.

You should never wait until it's something that might personally affect you. It's the principle! Because it will go on and on until it ABSOLUTELY affects you, and you'll be one of those people who wonders, "how did this happen? how did we get here?"

MADE A TERRORIST OR TWO UNCOMFORTABLE? Oh my god, I'm trembling I'm so angry at that. We have tortured INNOCENT people! People who just happen to be unfortunate enough to live in Afghanistan and have a name like Muhammed (not unlike arresting anyone named "Mike Smith" in this country, because one may be a suspected terrorist?). And they don't even have the RIGHT TO KNOW what they are accused of! This is exactly what I'm talking about!!

Go on You Tube and find the blogger who had himself waterboarded. You see what the hell you know about being a bit uncomfortable. Water being forced into your lungs... hmm, if that's not torture, I don't know what the f* is.

Please don't be so dismissive of such horrors without really knowing about it. Even Jewish interrogators in WWII didn't subject the Nazis to this sort of thing. And what's worse, waterboarding, throughout the ages, has never been about getting true information, or information at all. It's been about forcing a false confession. Period.

True intellectual around the world know it's about CONTROL of the oil. It's not absurd, it's a FACT. Ask Noam Chomsky. Ask Howard Zinn, the greatest historian of this generation.
Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:17 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
MADE A TERRORIST OR TWO UNCOMFORTABLE? Oh my god, I'm trembling I'm so angry at that. We have tortured INNOCENT people! People who just happen to be unfortunate enough to live in Afghanistan and have a name like Muhammed (not unlike arresting anyone named "Mike Smith" in this country, because one may be a suspected terrorist?). And they don't even have the RIGHT TO KNOW what they are accused of! This is exactly what I'm talking about!!

You do have a reliable source to back that up dont you?
Heres what gets me trembling with anger Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by twotap on Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:42 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well what do ya know just about what I expected. Rolling Eyes

Chomsky is a prolific author whose principal linguistic works after Syntactic Structures include Current Issues in Linguistic Theory (1964), The Sound Pattern of English (with Morris Halle, 1968), Language and Mind (1972), Studies on Semantics in Generative Grammar (1972), and Knowledge of Language (1986). In addition, he has wide-ranging political interests. He was an early and outspoken critic of U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War and has written extensively on many political issues from a generally left-wing point of view. Among his political writings are American Power and the New Mandarins (1969), Peace in the Middle East? (1974), Some Concepts and Consequences of the Theory of Government and Binding (1982) [this is actually a book on linguistics, not politics --www.chomsky.info], Manufacturing Consent (with E. S. Herman, 1988), Profit over People (1998), and Rogue States (2000). Chomsky’s controversial bestseller 9-11 (2002) is an analysis of the World Trade Center attack that, while denouncing the atrocity of the event, traces its origins to the actions and power of the United States, which he calls “a leading terrorist state.”[/b]

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:55 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

And of course once again another blame America first intellectual. Great Rolling Eyes .
Put Away the Flags
by Howard Zinn

On this July 4, we would do well to renounce nationalism and all its symbols: its flags, its pledges of allegiance, its anthems, its insistence in song that God must single out America to be blessed.

I believe I will refrain from furthur posts in this thread cause lets face their aint no way I can compete with two leftist intellectual professors.. Laughing Laughing Laughing beside I fear the name calling is about to begin. Shocked Sad

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:09 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

It should be, it's my post. My thoughts.

My reference to Zinn and Chomsky are purely in relation to the motivations for war: oil.

Go watch waterboarding. Read the CIA guy's own account, which was published just last week in the NY Times and the Washington Post.

NON SEQUITUR. 9/11 doesn't mean we just torture anyone we want! It's pretty convenient when there's no risk you'll ever be a POW.

I find it ironic that this war has cost us more American lives than 9/11 did. Bloody brilliant. As my friend who recently returned from Afghanistan puts it, "If this is supporting the troops, I'd hate to see what happens if they didn't..."

And again, America's loss of moral leadership because of issues like this is the great tragedy of my generation.
Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:50 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: