FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Move to digital TV begins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Mark Bonto
F L I N T O I D

00SL2, yes – that’s the new idea (Paul’s). That if enough people raise hell with Philly, then
Philly could possibly re-open it. But we aren’t holding our breath.

No, the Flint studio closed 11-30-07 for all equipment, studio, and editing purposes, and officially closed on 12-14-07. That’s when all PA programming stopped airing from Flint Comcast. This is the reason why you’re seeing all reruns on 17 (and being simulcast on 916). As I mentioned, I’m one of the few producers who’s fortunate enough to have several other options to continue doing my show. Most other producers weren’t that lucky.

Yes, Comcast's letter from Southfield said they'd provide local studio facilities and equipment, but not in Southfield. Just in the local programming areas. That’s another one we won’t hold our breath for.

Right again - PEG programming is required to have 8 hours of programming each day to keep the station viable. Here’s the kicker: It doesn’t necessarily have to be PA programming. It can be a college football game Comcast has shot, an original-educational program from them, or even a Comcast-originated show. Under this new universal franchise agreement, PEG doesn’t necessarily have to be public access!
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:22 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Odd, the Flint Journal doesn't also cover the Flint Comcast problems. Flushing Township Supervisor Andy Trotogot says no one seems to care about Comcast's raise in rates, but the FJ didn't publish his phone number so people could complain to him. Maybe everyone should register complaints to The Flint Journal--think they'd have any influence?

Comcast rates rising in Genesee County by as much as 13.5 percent
Posted by Ron Fonger | The Flint Journal December 28, 2007 14:00PM
Categories: Genesee County, Top Stories

GENESEE COUNTY -- Comcast cable customers are about to get socked with one of the first price hikes of 2008, bills as much as 13.5 percent more than they pay now.

Comcast, the county's leading cable provider, is telling customers about the increases, which take effect Jan. 15, in their most recent bills. Statewide, the average bill is increasing 3.6 percent, a company official said.

"A lot of that has to do with programming costs and there's a lot of variety of different programming a customer can choose," said Patrick Paterno, a Comcast spokesman. "There's a lot of options."

There's been no escaping higher prices for cable television recently in this area.

Charter Communications, which serves the Fenton, Linden, Davison, Montrose, Lapeer, and Owosso areas, also announced higher 2008 prices recently.

"To me, it seems like Comcast is pretty much a monopoly (and) they are making a ton of money on the customers," said Diane Guzak of Grand Blanc Township.

"If it goes up much more, we may have to look at something else," Guzak said.

Paterno said higher prices for customers reflect the higher cost of providing better services, including the planned addition of at least 30 high-definition channels in 2008.

The price for Comcast Internet access isn't being changed and hasn't been increased in four years, officials said.

Paterno said customers may react to higher cable rates by scaling back on the package they buy, but few cancel altogether and return to old-fashioned antennas or switch to satellite.

"It's just too much of a hassle to change," Guzak said. "I did look into (satellite) and it's not that much of a reduction."

Comcast is required to notify its customers and local units of government when it raises prices.

Officials in Flushing Township received the price-hike notice from Comcast, but Supervisor Andy Trotogot said he hasn't heard a word of complaint from cable customers.

Cities and townships lost whatever leverage they had with cable companies when the industry was deregulated as a part of the federal Telecommunications Act of 1996.

That decade-old act was promoted as the best way to open telecommunications to competition, but in most areas there remains only one cable provider.

Trotogot said customers have accepted paying more for cable, and Comcast has helped itself by improving its customer service.

"We haven't had a (single) call of complaint," Trotogot said. "Most people don't seem to care."

Source:
http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2007/12/comcast_rates_rising_in_genese.html
Accessed: December 28, 2007
Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:23 am 
Mark Bonto
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Odd, the Flint Journal doesn't also cover the Flint Comcast problems. Flushing Township Supervisor Andy Trotogot says no one seems to care about Comcast's raise in rates, but the FJ didn't publish his phone number so people could complain to him. Maybe everyone should register complaints to The Flint Journal--think they'd have any influence?

There you are! 00SL2, have you been hiding? Laughing

To answer you above - no. The FJ probably wouldn't have much influence, but it wouldn't hurt to call them. Comcast hates, absolutely despises, bad publicity. If the local paper gives them a shot or two, it may possibly help. Hey, it's worth a try!

Just because the FJ didn't publish Andy Trotogot's phone number so people could complain to him, doesn't mean much, either. Don't get me wrong, it might have helped, but readers could've easily picked up a phone book or Googled Yellow Pages. com. It doesn't take much to find Flushing Township or the FT Supervisor's office phone numbers.

This is our whole problem. Most people complain and don't like it, but do nothing or very little. Local contacts are good and certainly won't hurt, but we need to get ahold of Philly. for both situations - the sjyrocketing cable costs and the loss of loca PA access. Everyone needs to go to www.saveaccessflint.org for the latter. If you want to complain about the rates, the 13.5 percent increase - YOWZAA Shocked Shocked Shocked then let's unify and complain together. Remember, the one thing we've found constant is that Comcast hates bad publicity and likes increasing customer sales. Thanks, too, for including that article!

Watch national award-winning “Comedy On Tap” Thursdays and Fridays at 8pm. Both on Comcast channel 17. Go to my website at: http://markbonto.com and listen to me, and see me live at The White Horse on the radio: Wednesdays 7-7:30am on WKUF 94.3 FM.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Mark, I didn't really expect the FJ to publish Trotogot's phone number to complain to. Smile My guess is that the average person using Comcast service doesn't realize there is anyone to complain to about Comcast raising rates other than to Comcast itself.

I visited saveaccess but don't understand what it is I can/should do except add my name to a list. The application to get on the list has a blank for "organization" and I'm not supporting as part of an organization. How do we "unify and complain together"?
Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:37 pm 
Mark Bonto
F L I N T O I D

00SL2, I totally agree that the average person probably doesn't realize there’s anyone to complain to about Comcast’s rates other than Comcast itself. Shocked Shocked Shocked That's why we need to spread the word!

As far as complaining about the increasing rates, that's a tough one. Most people get fed up and either get a Dish or bite the big one and pay the extra money. Writing Comcast headquarters will realistically probably only feel good at best. Not really resolve any complaints. But it's still letting them know how you feel. If enough people do it, they may cringe a bit, but my guess is they're thinking that since they're the behemoth and we're the little guy they don't care. Maybe enough "little guys" like us can make a dent. Remember what they say about the squeaky wheel....

How do we "unify and complain together" about PA here in Flint? Here's what most people are doing with the saveaccess site. Just go ahead and click on that little notebook and add your name to the list. I understand Paul is getting quite a big list of names together on that and I believe he will contact them all. It's also for showing our support to the Comcast execs and state legislators we contact. The blank for "organization" on the application just leave, that's right, blank. Sorry - I tried not to say that.

Most importantly, that site is geared for as many of us as possible to contact those state legislators (the top graph) who supported the bill. They're the bad guys. The ones who opposed it are the good guys (the middle graph). Ask those bad guy legislators WHY? Ask them, "Why on Earth did you vote on the universal franchise agreement? This means no more locally-originated public access programs, Mr. Legislator, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching those cheesy, but locally-oriented shows. I was entertained. They informed me. They made me feel good. Made me cry. Made me laugh. Especially Mark's show."

Okay, you don't have to say all that (except the part about "watching Mark's show"). Chances are they don't know what they did. They don't know what they voted for. They didn't understand the implications of it. They had no clue. Just like this increase. This 13.5% increase. What does that come out to a month more? Whatever it is, it's a lot. Yeah, like they needed the extra money.

Thanks for your continued help and concern, 00SL2! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Watch national award-winning “Comedy On Tap” Thursdays and Fridays at 8pm. Both on Comcast channel 17. Go to my website at: http://markbonto.com and listen to me, and see me live at The White Horse on the radio: Wednesdays 7-7:30am on WKUF 94.3 FM.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:13 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Mark, I didn't really expect the FJ to publish Trotogot's phone number to complain to. Smile My guess is that the average person using Comcast service doesn't realize there is anyone to complain to about Comcast raising rates other than to Comcast itself.

I visited saveaccess but don't understand what it is I can/should do except add my name to a list. The application to get on the list has a blank for "organization" and I'm not supporting as part of an organization. How do we "unify and complain together"?

It is a question of time and resources. How much effort are people willing to put into it. The internet can be an effective vehicle. Look at the exposure that the Ron Paul advocates are making. I am open to ideas.
You Tube etc ...( mabey this was just an excuse to post my last video.. not relevant Video at)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjedvU4_9AA
Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
It is a question of time and resources. How much effort are people willing to put into it. The internet can be an effective vehicle. Look at the exposure that the Ron Paul advocates are making. I am open to ideas.
Well, Terry, did you sign on to save public access yet? Since writing and interpreting law is what you do, do you have any comments about what the Michigan lawmakers have done to public access and how to rectify it?
Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:52 pm 
Mark Bonto
F L I N T O I D

I'm eagerly awaiting his response, too, 00SL2. Although Terry does mainly family law, I hope his answer isn't to divorce Comcast and split it's cable 50/50 down the middle!

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:38 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Mark Bonto schreef:
I'm eagerly awaiting his response, too, 00SL2. Although Terry does mainly family law, I hope his answer isn't to divorce Comcast and split it's cable 50/50 down the middle!

I was not being flippant
Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Mark Bonto
F L I N T O I D

So then how do you answer, 00SL2, my friend? the questions to you of: "did you sign on to save public access yet?" and "do you have any comments about what the Michigan lawmakers have done to public access and how to rectify it?" I'd really like to know your take on it. Don't make me sick Henry on you! Laughing Laughing Laughing

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
quote:
Mark Bonto schreef:

I was not being flippant

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:05 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
terrybankert schreef:
Well, Terry, did you sign on to save public access yet? Since writing and interpreting law is what you do, do you have any comments about what the Michigan lawmakers have done to public access and how to rectify it?

I told Paul Herring I would help. I signed up todayon " save public access". I am not lawyering here, this is public advocacy/political action.

The local producers group appears to working hard on this issue.

There are other groups active in opposition to comcast. I would be interested in what they are doing.

What champions do we have in the legislature. Was Michigans change part of a national movement.

If the issue is the local studio how can that be recreated locally. Could comcast be pressured to fund it? WHat options are available on the internet? J-TV.TV seems to be doing some unique things.

see
http://www.jtv.tv/

Mark Paul and Ted are well equipment to lead this effort.

One thought, create a pressure to force an accomodation. COmcast seems concerned with ala carte channel selection.
fyi

Comcast strongly lobbies against "a la carte" bills that would give consumers the option to purchase individual channels rather than a broad tier of programming. These issues continue to garner attention from state governments, Congress and FCC Chairman Martin.[35]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast

Good Luck
Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:10 pm 
last time here

i'd sign a petition Shocked

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:29 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

I'd go for a la carte choices. There are a few channels I don't want to watch. Fox News Channel, for example.

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:49 pm 
last time here

i'm with flinn!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:16 pm 
Mark Bonto
F L I N T O I D

My comments are in bold.

quote:
last time here schreef:
i'd sign a petition

LTH, then go to www.saveaccessflint.org. We need you now!

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
It is a question of time and resources. How much effort are people willing to put into it. The internet can be an effective vehicle. Look at the exposure that the Ron Paul advocates are making. I am open to ideas. I told Paul Herring I would help. I signed up today on " save public access". I am not lawyering here, this is public advocacy/political action.

Thanks, Terry, for signing up. We would like your help. And it's all true what you said - it really boils down to how much effort people are willing to put into it.

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
The local producers group appears to working hard on this issue.

Yes, we are. All four of us. Just kidding, but we need more!

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
There are other groups active in opposition to comcast. I would be interested in what they are doing. What champions do we have in the legislature. Was Michigans change part of a national movement. If the issue is the local studio how can that be recreated locally. Could comcast be pressured to fund it? WHat options are available on the internet? J-TV.TV seems to be doing some unique things.

Wow, Terry, for a divorce lawyer, you sure ask a lot of questions! Actually, I know you'll see humor in that - I'm glad you ask these important and pertinent questions. Here's the answers:

They are doing different things, Me too, Our local legislators, No, That's another thing we need to talk about, They said they would, J-TV is one, Yes it does.

Answer everything? I think so. Oh, you said one more thing.

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
Mark Paul and Ted are well equipment to lead this effort. One thought, create a pressure to force an accomodation. COmcast seems concerned with ala carte channel selection. Comcast strongly lobbies against "a la carte" bills that would give consumers the option to purchase individual channels rather than a broad tier of programming. These issues continue to garner attention from state governments, Congress and FCC. Good Luck

Thanks!

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:16 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: