FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Teen recants, sex charges dismissed

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Here's a case of "why did this make news" and "where's the truth?" Not this case, but there's a true story about a 14-year-old having sex with his caregiver, he bragged about it to a number of people, including family members. When it was reported to authorities, they said there was nothing that could be done about it because both denied it ever happened. Then there are cases where kids file false abuse reports to get even with them for various reasons, mainly because they don't want to live under parents' house rules and they think they'll be removed from the family home.

In this case reported in the Flint Journal, the public's left to wonder who's telling the truth. Here's a woman who has not only had her reputation smeared but also lost her job because of a minor. With the charges being dismissed can she get her job back, would she even want it back? And what of the kid's friendship with her son? What an embarrassment for all involved!

00SL2

Teen recants, sex charges dismissed
GENESEE COUNTY
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Thursday, December 06, 2007
By Kim Crawford

The case of a Mt. Morris Township woman who was accused of having sex with a high school student was dismissed Wednesday in Genesee County Central District Court.

All charges against Mary M. Olson, 40, were dismissed at the order of Flushing District Judge David Goggins after the student, who is now 16, recanted his previous statements to police and prosecutors.

Olson pleaded not guilty in November when she was charged in warrants issued by the Genesee County Prosecutor's Office with third- and fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor and also with furnishing alcohol to a minor.

But at a preliminary examination on the charges Wednesday, the teenager thought to have been the victim testified that nothing had happened between him and Olson, who is the mother of one of his friends. He also denied that she had provided him with alcohol.

Olson, who had been a supply driver for the Mt. Morris School District, lost her job with the school system after the charges were issued.

Olson's lawyer, Scott Weinberg of Franklin in Oakland County, couldn't be reached for comment Wednesday.

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:37 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I don't believe people should be dismissed just because charges are brought necessarily. What happened to innocent before proven guilty? Yeah, right.
Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:05 pm 
last time here

agree

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:11 pm 
willy
F L I N T O I D

The 16 year old Should Be Jailed At the Amount of Time if She was Convicted .
40 years, sounds good to me
Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:14 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I would not want to sit on a jury to hear this case. If the 16-year-old recanted his earlier statements to police it would make me think maybe something happened but he didn't want his friend's mother to go to prison. Or, even maybe he and the friend could have hatched a plot to get the mother in trouble but had second thoughts when it came down to reality. Not a good case for a jury, glad the judge gave it the boot. The 14-year-old I mentioned above is now an adult and living as a couple with his former caregiver. Remind you of the school teacher who went to prison for relationship with student, then later married him? That one made national news.
Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:07 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: