FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: The Primary on Jan. 15th
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Um.....stupid question.

Since the Primary on January 15th only contains 4-5 of the Democratic candidates, how in the )(*^(*&% do I get to vote for someone if they are not on the ballot?

Will their names appear as we get closer to the Presidential election? I haven't heard anything about the ramifications pertaining to this......

Tips? Advice?

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:15 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Id the provision still there that requires the names & address of all that vote be given to the respective parties? If so, there's no way I'll vote in the primary.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Not stupid AT ALL. It's really pretty complicated.

Here's the deal: according to the State Democratic party, if you want to vote for one of the other candidates not listed, DO NOT WRITE THEM IN. Write-ins only count if the person consents to be a write-in, which none of them have. You are supposed to choose "no preference" (though that's not the exact right terminology, you know what I mean).

However! Yesterday I visited the Obama website and met a guy who has the same problem. I let him know he shouldn't write in Obama because it wouldn't count. Here's his reply:

Well that is sort of the whole point Jody. My ballot is already invalid!
As the old saying goes "if voting could make a difference they would make it illegal." I can't help but see that this is a step in the larger trend of voter disenfranchisement.

We see this every four years, Mondale, Dukakis, Kerry, etc, weak candidates getting front runner position through backroom deals funny money. Here comes a candidate worth voting for and now I am told I can't. Well we all have to live with our choices and I decided I can 't live with not voting for Obama no matter what, if that means my vote will not be counted, well lets ask President Al Gore how to feel about that one.

We have to send the message that if the DNC is going to let Hilary and her
Chinese money steal the show, then they can not count on our support in
November.

If you have a better idea I would live to hear it.

So basically, your ballot won't count either way. Might as well write in whomever you wish.
Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:25 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Dave -

The state supreme court agreed that the Dem and Republican party could be the sole owners of that data. So yes, that nasty little provision is here to stay.
Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:32 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I need answers to this, for personal reasons and professional (if you can call it that) Smile I am going to be an election worker for this primary and need answers, I haven't taken "the class" yet, but I want to be so informed that I am obnoxious. Smile

Do you have a source for your "not writing in a candidate"? I am not being snarky, I just don't know where to begin......help!!

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:19 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I actually heard it on NPR, but here are the details:

‘Uncommitted’ voters could quiet some of Clinton’s thunder
Kathy Barks Hoffman, The Associated Press, Battle Creek Enquirer.com, November 29,2007
RACE FOR THE WHITE HOUSE 2008: MICHIGAN PRIMARY

LANSING — At first glance, Hillary Rodham Clinton should easily win Michigan’s Democratic primary, since no other top candidates are on the ballot.

But she faces an unusual opponent: "Uncommitted."

If enough backers of the candidates who aren’t on the ballot — Barack Obama, John Edwards, Bill Richardson, Joe Biden — mark "Uncommitted" when they vote Jan. 15, it could take some of the luster off what’s otherwise a certain Clinton victory.

"We will see if over the next two or three weeks the people who aren’t on the ballot ... urge everyone to vote ‘Uncommitted.’ I think that’s an intriguing prospect," said Democratic activist Bob Alexander of East Lansing. "It would get a lot of national attention."

Despite last-ditch legislative efforts to put the four missing Democrats back on the ballot, it’s now clear Clinton will be up against only Dennis Kucinich, Chris Dodd and Mike Gravel.

A poll conducted earlier this month by Lansing-based EPIC-MRA showed 49 percent of likely Democratic voters back Clinton. But 18 percent support Obama, 15 percent prefer Edwards and 12 percent are undecided, leaving a potentially large pool of uncommitted voters who could muddy the perception of a Clinton victory.

Under Alexander’s scenario, backers of Obama, Edwards, Richardson and Biden would get some of the uncommitted slots when Democrats hold district conventions in late March to choose 83 of their 156 national convention delegates.

He hopes a few might even go to Al Gore supporters, even though Gore isn’t running and Alexander was unsuccessful in getting him on the Michigan ballot.

But seats will be set aside for uncommitted delegates at district conventions only if at least 15 percent of the Democratic primary voters voting in that congressional district chose "Uncommitted," or at least 15 percent of the statewide Democratic vote.

Michigan AFL-CIO President Mark Gaffney, who likes Edwards although his union hasn’t endorsed a candidate, said that will be a tough threshold to reach.

"It would be easier for a group of Democrats ... to come together to vote in the Republican primary than it would to make enough of a difference in the Democratic primary by voting for a write-in candidate or voting ’Uncommitted,"’ he said. He noted that Democrats crossed over to help Republicans John McCain in 2000 and Pat Buchanan in 1996.

If backers of Obama, Edwards, Richardson and Biden did write in their favorites’ names, those votes probably wouldn’t be counted, said Michigan Democratic Party spokesman Jason Moon.
The four withdrew their names from the Michigan ballot to satisfy Iowa and New Hampshire, which were unhappy Michigan was challenging their leadoff status on the primary calendar. They’d have to file paperwork with state elections officials by Jan. 4 saying they wanted the write-in votes counted, something that would go against their reasons for withdrawing in the first place.

"We do not want people to write in candidates," Moon said. "If the candidates live up to their pledge, those votes would be wasted."

The Republican ballot also will allow voters to choose "Uncommitted." But with all eight GOP candidates on the ballot, it’s unlikely many voters will pick that option.

If enough Michigan Democrats vote "Uncommitted," it could slow some of Clinton’s momentum if she does well in the earlier Iowa and New Hampshire presidential contests. If she has done poorly until that point, the disaffection with her candidacy shown by uncommitted Michigan Democratic voters could harm her even further.

So far, the Clinton campaign doesn’t seem too worried. A spokesman declined to comment on the possibility of "Uncommitted" doing well.

here's a document you might want to peruse:
http://michigandems.com/2008DSP.pdf
Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:43 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

SMOOCH!!!! Ahem. Smile Smile

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:47 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I have a problem with being required to register with a Party to vote in the primary. Many years ago when I wanted to vote in a Primary I was required to register with a party affiliation, and I've regretted it ever since. Got on a mailing/calling list and can't get off! Too bad one can't register as a "noncommited." Laughing

Since I registered with the Party those many years ago wouldn't I be required to cast my primary ballot for the same Party? Can I un-register with a party?
Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:36 pm 
last time here

or can we register as an independant and still vote in the demo primary?

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:41 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
I have a problem with being required to register with a Party to vote in the primary. Many years ago when I wanted to vote in a Primary I was required to register with a party affiliation, and I've regretted it ever since. Got on a mailing/calling list and can't get off! Too bad one can't register as a "noncommited." Laughing

Since I registered with the Party those many years ago wouldn't I be required to cast my primary ballot for the same Party? Can I un-register with a party?

I don't think you have to declare a party anymore. I do think they still require that you only vote in 1 party though.
Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:46 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I predict HILLARY will win in Michigan's primary!

quote:
Demeralda schreef:
I actually heard it on NPR, but here are the details:

‘Uncommitted’ voters could quiet some of Clinton’s thunder
Kathy Barks Hoffman, The Associated Press, Battle Creek Enquirer.com, November 29,2007
RACE FOR THE WHITE HOUSE 2008: MICHIGAN PRIMARY

LANSING — At first glance, Hillary Rodham Clinton should easily win Michigan’s Democratic primary, since no other top candidates are on the ballot.

But she faces an unusual opponent: "Uncommitted."

If enough backers of the candidates who aren’t on the ballot — Barack Obama, John Edwards, Bill Richardson, Joe Biden — mark "Uncommitted" when they vote Jan. 15, it could take some of the luster off what’s otherwise a certain Clinton victory.

"We will see if over the next two or three weeks the people who aren’t on the ballot ... urge everyone to vote ‘Uncommitted.’ I think that’s an intriguing prospect," said Democratic activist Bob Alexander of East Lansing. "It would get a lot of national attention."

Despite last-ditch legislative efforts to put the four missing Democrats back on the ballot, it’s now clear Clinton will be up against only Dennis Kucinich, Chris Dodd and Mike Gravel.

A poll conducted earlier this month by Lansing-based EPIC-MRA showed 49 percent of likely Democratic voters back Clinton. But 18 percent support Obama, 15 percent prefer Edwards and 12 percent are undecided, leaving a potentially large pool of uncommitted voters who could muddy the perception of a Clinton victory.

Under Alexander’s scenario, backers of Obama, Edwards, Richardson and Biden would get some of the uncommitted slots when Democrats hold district conventions in late March to choose 83 of their 156 national convention delegates.

He hopes a few might even go to Al Gore supporters, even though Gore isn’t running and Alexander was unsuccessful in getting him on the Michigan ballot.

But seats will be set aside for uncommitted delegates at district conventions only if at least 15 percent of the Democratic primary voters voting in that congressional district chose "Uncommitted," or at least 15 percent of the statewide Democratic vote.

Michigan AFL-CIO President Mark Gaffney, who likes Edwards although his union hasn’t endorsed a candidate, said that will be a tough threshold to reach.

"It would be easier for a group of Democrats ... to come together to vote in the Republican primary than it would to make enough of a difference in the Democratic primary by voting for a write-in candidate or voting ’Uncommitted,"’ he said. He noted that Democrats crossed over to help Republicans John McCain in 2000 and Pat Buchanan in 1996.

If backers of Obama, Edwards, Richardson and Biden did write in their favorites’ names, those votes probably wouldn’t be counted, said Michigan Democratic Party spokesman Jason Moon.
The four withdrew their names from the Michigan ballot to satisfy Iowa and New Hampshire, which were unhappy Michigan was challenging their leadoff status on the primary calendar. They’d have to file paperwork with state elections officials by Jan. 4 saying they wanted the write-in votes counted, something that would go against their reasons for withdrawing in the first place.

"We do not want people to write in candidates," Moon said. "If the candidates live up to their pledge, those votes would be wasted."

The Republican ballot also will allow voters to choose "Uncommitted." But with all eight GOP candidates on the ballot, it’s unlikely many voters will pick that option.

If enough Michigan Democrats vote "Uncommitted," it could slow some of Clinton’s momentum if she does well in the earlier Iowa and New Hampshire presidential contests. If she has done poorly until that point, the disaffection with her candidacy shown by uncommitted Michigan Democratic voters could harm her even further.

So far, the Clinton campaign doesn’t seem too worried. A spokesman declined to comment on the possibility of "Uncommitted" doing well.

here's a document you might want to peruse:
http://michigandems.com/2008DSP.pdf

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Why go thru all this nonsense just crown Hillary after all she is so qualified with all her past achievments Rolling Eyes and besides damnit she just deserves to be Prez. And that irritating little Illinois muslim Liberal aint got no business messing with the queen.
Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:00 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

To All:

If you peruse the Secretary of State website, you will find a plethora of information, although their search feature shows a deep abyss of information, upon the results given.........sigh.....

I was at my township hall last week and met the with Clerk for about one hour and he said that the phones were going to be ringing off of the hook due to a new precinct that we have created. Along with the new Voter ID requirements.

If you have any questions I would highly recommend calling your clerks office for clarification or post sources here, because I would like all of the information that I can get and it would be beneficial for the lurkers as well.

Andi

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:27 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Dave Starr,

But if you don't vote in the primary, do you get to vote in the "regular" election?

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:28 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Election News(source: Michigan.gov)

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/ELECTION_NEWS_ISSUE50_212813_7_212827_7.pdf

Dave Starr:

Page three or four of this .pdf document answers your question pertaining to the privacy of the ballots..............they better be under lock and key!!!

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:34 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: