FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: immigration?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Amen Adam, I agree with you on this , gosh who would of thought a Democrats and Republican could agree??

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
quote:
last time here schreef:
there are nearly 30 million undocumented (illegal) aliens in america.
what are the good points?
what are the negative points?

i understand they are simply looking to make a decent living.

what is mexico's responsibility?
what is the american government's responsibility?

michigan is one of several states that issue drivers licenses to
undocumented aliens. is that a problem for you?

Our U.S. troops are doing a good job defending the Korean border and iraqi border.
We are not protecting our own border.
To provide for it's people.
To enforce our laws and protect our borders.
I think I should have a right to drive and not require a license.

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
kaypurdue

Do we have that many illegals up our way? I know it's a big problem in the southern border states but haven't heard much about it in the mitten state. We don't even have enough jobs to keep all our "legals" employed, so there's no reason for the illegals to come up here! Shocked
Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:46 pm 
last time here

i think quite a few come around imlay city and other michigan farm
areas to harvest during season. 35 years ago i was working in owosso
on a construction project. i was about 22. as i was getting ready to drive
back to flint this mexican kid walked up to me and asked where i was going. i told him flint. he asked for a ride. he knew nobody in flint and i didn't know where to take him. he spoke mainly spanish and i didn't.
i took him to the mexican food place on detroit street and dropped
him off. i've often wondered what ever happened to him. i think he
probably tired of farm labor work and just took off. that took guts to
strike off into the unknown...i hope he did o.k.

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:48 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Man lT you are an old dude. Wink Surprised Surprised 35+22 wow. Shocked
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:03 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
i tend to feel as andi does. if the government was serious, they'd
at least fence the southern border as i believe they should for sake of
national security. i am not however in favor of rounding up and deporting some 30,000,000 individuals. doing something like that would be as
dangerous as attempting to collect every weapon owned by every american
citizen. anarchy and chaos would rule. i personally have several mexican
cousins in california. all the little ones call me "uncle LTH". i love them
and they love me, so i guess i have a personal interest. all they wish is
a fair chance at a reasonable existance that mexico will not provide.

1. Install adequate protection of the border.
2. Provide a fair (to americans) and equitable way to become
an american citizen.
3. Pressure mexico to do SOMETHING for her citizens!

ellis island??????? uhhh, welllllllll, wait a minute....i DID have a
great-great-great grandfather come through ellis island. Laughing Laughing

It's more than just fencing off the border. Are you people aware that Mexicans entering the US do not even have to show valid ID? At that end of the country, border agents accept what they call a "verbal declaration of citizenship". Meanwhile, at the Canadian border, travelers are required to present both a birth certificate and a picture ID. Even the Flint kids traveling back from Hamilton this past summer on busses were delayed for 4 1/2 hours while immigration checked through every singel birth certificate for every single kid.

And God knows, we have a HUGE problem with illegal Canadian immigrants. Wink

If anyone believes this government doesn't have a vested interest in the cheap workforce coming in from Mexico daily, I've got a bridge for sale down Arizona way....
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:55 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

And dont forget the "Party Of the Working Man" Rolling Eyes sees a whole new bunch of ballots be punched in their favor. You got license to drive no problemo heres ballot make sure you make chad next to Dem.
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:59 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

I don't think I specified it was a problem of either party. It's a governmental issue that they pay lip service to but reap the benefits of...bet the Canadian border would be looser if the darn Canadians would work for peanuts.
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:13 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I did. Laughing
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:44 am 
last time here

$20.00 says 2taps wife hasn't seen his avatars!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:08 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Seen it?, what you talkin bout, that is my wife. Confused Razz
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:51 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
$20.00 says 2taps wife hasn't seen his avatars!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
I'm with you LTH, I don't believe any wife would approve of the girly pix twotap's been posting. Laughing
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:38 pm 
last time here

i saw 2tap's wife on that krispy kreme calender!! Confused Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool

no wonder he moved out to the boonies!!!! yikes Shocked Shocked
his wife is a dancer at the MENS CLUB!!! Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:51 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...guila1206.html
A town sick of crime
With closest deputy 60 miles away, residents fend for themselves

Dennis Wagner
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 6, 2007 12:00 AM
AGUILA - Jim Ross lifted his coat slightly behind the restaurant counter, revealing a 9mm Smith & Wesson pistol in a holster.

"I'm not going to be a victim without somebody having a bullet in their (rear)," said the owner of Coyote Flats Cafe on U.S. 60. "We're going to take this town back."

Jim and his wife, Dorene, are not the only folks packing heat in this backwater community 25 miles west of Wickenburg.

With little law-enforcement protection and a crime wave that has left two residents dead and hit just about every business in Aguila, many residents have armed themselves, installed security systems and taken to patrolling residential areas.

"My neighbors have been robbed three times already," said Veronica Rodriguez, a widow with three children. "People are afraid to go in the streets at night. The problem is there are no police here."

"We've called 911 for assaults, and 24 hours later, they showed up," said Bob Edwards, 63, chief of the Aguila Volunteer Fire Department.

Many Aguila residents say the crime surge stems from a growing methamphetamine problem, compounded by the deactivation of a sheriff's substation in Wickenburg.

Their angst and anger climaxed Monday when about 200 people jammed into the Aguila community center to vent at Maricopa County sheriff's Capt. Scott Penrose.

For two hours, they shared crime stories and warned that Aguila citizens are going to start shooting people in defense of their homes and businesses.

They said deputies almost never patrol the unincorporated town. Even when a patrol car arrives from the nearest active substation, about 60 miles away in Sun City, residents say the deputies often refuse to gather evidence, interview suspects or file reports.

Finally, folks groused that Sheriff Joe Arpaio seems to spend a lot of time on television with his law officers going after illegal immigrants in Phoenix when there is a serious crime problem in county jurisdictions.

"What about Sheriff Arpaio?" demanded one man in the crowd. "He doesn't even know about Aguila, does he? It's a joke."

"I say it's time to lock and load," another man blurted.

Penrose conceded that residents have suffered. He said response times have been inexcusable. He offered to help organize a sheriff's posse. He said efforts will be made to increase patrols and deputies will be admonished to be responsive and courteous. His supervisor confirmed the beefed-up patrols in an e-mail Wednesday to one of the meeting's organizers.

"I will do everything in my power to see that we get things under control," Penrose promised. "I understand your frustration."

Arpaio's promise
In an interview Tuesday, Arpaio vowed to send his illegal-immigrant interdiction squad and other deputies to Aguila. "We're going out there, and we're going to lock up anybody who violates the law," he said. "We will give special attention to that area."

At the town meeting and in private conversations, no residents blamed undocumented immigrants for escalating crime.

Aguila is a farming community along the far western edge of Maricopa County and is nestled in a valley between the Harquahala and Harcuvar mountains. The town is dominated by Martori Farms, which grows melons, broccoli and other crops.

Aguila is within the 85320 ZIP code, listed in the 2000 census with a population of 1,064. Most residents are retirees, immigrant workers, farmers and pilots who park airplanes at their homes. Librarian Marisol Hernandez estimates the actual population at 1,500 to 1,800.

Aside from a bucolic lifestyle, disparate groups had little in common until they were bonded by fear and frustration in recent months.

Penrose said 911 calls from Aguila have increased only 4 percent in the past year, with 433 from January through November. But town residents contend many thefts go unreported because victims figure it is a waste of time or they are immigrants fearful of dealing with deputies amid Arpaio's campaign against undocumented immigrants.

Stan Klimek, who joined Hernandez in organizing the town meeting, said Aguila has been abandoned by law enforcement. "This is a small, sleepy community that's been hit by a wave of violence," Klimek said. "There's no police presence."

"We used to be able to leave our doors unlocked at night," Hernandez said. "We'd even leave our keys in our cars."

Series of burglaries
Every business owner interviewed along U.S. 60 reported being hit by burglars multiple times during the past year.

At Iris Auto Service, Saul Sandoval said he knows who broke into his shop three times but can't prove anything. Sandoval shook his head as several young toughs walked past. "There go some of them now. I know it's a drug problem. . . . I feel like getting a gun and going after 'em. But I've got a wife and two kids. I don't want them growing up with Daddy behind bars."

At Aguila Elementary School, aide Tina Daffern said a series of thefts netted a pickup truck, air compressors and other equipment. Last week, schoolkids were stranded in the morning because someone siphoned gas from the buses.

Although property offenses are dominant, a pair of violent crimes stirred the community into action.

On Oct. 30, a masked robber entered the Valley Food Market on U.S. 60 and slashed the female clerk with a knife.

The store owner, who asked not to be identified, said his wife suffered wounds to her face and hand. The proprietor, who also wears a gun at his side, said he heard the commotion from a back room, raced out and jumped on the assailant's back.

"I hit him," he said. "I take his ski mask off. He run away. I just hold the gun to let him know I have it, but I don't shoot him."

A deputy did not arrive until 45 minutes later, the owner said.

Today, the Valley Food Market is surrounded by protective rebar and spirals of razor wire. "We need government help, with police patrols at night," the owner said.

The second incident occurred three nights later when fire raged through a double-wide trailer owned by Carl and Jane Suraci on the edge of town. Neighbors said they called 911 three times, only to find out that dispatchers did not know the location of Aguila and had not sent a deputy.

Finally, after 40 minutes, a fourth emergency call succeeded.

Amid the charred debris, investigators and firefighters found the couple's remains as well as several dead pets.

At Monday's meeting, town residents said the victims had been shot. Penrose confirmed that a homicide investigation is under way, but no additional information was available.

A memorial hanging from the Suraci's front gate bears this message: "We will miss you so much. Thank you for being part of our lives. May your journey home be swift and strong."

Back at Coyote Flats Cafe, Dorene Ross said she isn't thrilled with the idea of buckling on a Firestorm 380 pistol but sees no alternative.

"Everything we own is tied up in this place," she said, "and we're not going to have some thieving little meth-head steal it."

Reach the reporter at dennis.wagner@arizonarepublic.com or 602-444-8874.

Letters to the Editor:
opinions@arizonarepublic.com

Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:27 pm 
last time here

so are you saying the bad guys are illegals or druggies? Shocked
i saw the exact same thing in harrisonburg, va. last year.
all normal american kids. Wink

Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:53 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Speak softly and carry a locked & loaded 45.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: