FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Thompson in line as permanent leader

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Meeting to decide interim's future
Thompson in line as permanent leader
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Thursday, November 29, 2007
By Melissa Burden
mburden@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6316

QUICK TAKE
Permanent post?

The Flint Board of Education will meet Dec. 12 in special session to adopt the evaluation for Interim Superintendent Linda Thompson and then discuss offering her the permanent superintendent post.

Thompson receives base pay of $142,500 annually, plus use of a district vehicle and a $600 monthly stipend for expenses.

FLINT - The Flint Board of Education is poised to consider removing the interim from Linda Thompson's superintendent title.

The board has scheduled a special meeting for Dec. 12 to reveal and adopt Thompson's interim evaluation and discuss offering her the job permanently.

"She deserves, certainly in my mind, consideration, and she deserves consideration first for many reasons," said board Secretary Paul Jordan, adding that the main reason is that she has done a good job.

Thompson has been interim superintendent since May, and her contract expires in mid-February, though there is a 30-day renewal clause if both sides agree.

"We've been on the bubble," Jordan said. "At some point, we have to make a decision, and I think that time is now."

If the board fails to offer Thompson the job, Jordan's motion calls for the board to immediately discuss launching a superintendent search.

Board Vice President Raymond Hatter voted no, saying he isn't ready to move so quickly. Board member Fred Bashir, who is Thompson's brother, did not attend the meeting.

Thompson, a Flint native who is the first woman to the lead the district, said after the meeting that she is glad the board is going to move.

"If the board will have me, I'll take the job," she said.

The board has stalled for several weeks on agreeing on Thompson's assessment criteria.

Some board members had concerns on how they would base evaluation in certain areas, but Thompson seemed to appease those concerns when she said she would provide an executive memo with details and updates on each area before the board conducted the evaluation.

The assessment includes points in culture and climate and customer service, fiscal responsibility, the facilities plan and improving student performance.

Former Superintendent Walter Milton Jr., who now heads the Springfield, Ill., district, said consistency with Thompson will help the district.

"They need that home-grown permanency there," he said, adding it's a tough job. "I wish her well, and I wish the community well."

Source:
http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-47/1196349663109030.xml&coll=5
Accessed: November 29, 2007
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:36 pm 
last time here

if she keeps the board away from her decisions, she'll be fine. Cool Cool Cool

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:43 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Flint ed board OKs Thompson's contract
HOMETOWN HEADLINES
FLINT
Thursday, June 07, 2007
By Dan Fearson
Journal Staff Writer

The Flint Board of Education ratified the contract of interim Superintendent Linda Thompson at its Wednesday meeting.

Thompson will receive an annual base pay of $142,500 - $10,500 less than her original demand. She also receives a $600 monthly expense stipend and use of a district-owned vehicle.

Thompson had sought $153,000, which was the annual base pay of former Superintendent Walter Milton Jr.

The $142,500 is slightly higher than the $139,500 offered to Thompson last month.

The school board also approved a new contract with teachers that includes a 1 percent salary raise for the 2007-08 school year, which will cost the district an extra $926,000. The contract with the United Teachers of Flint goes into effect Sept. 1.

The school district is facing a projected $13-million deficit next school year and expects to lose about 1,000 students.

- Dan Fearson

It's time to move forward now'; board hopes hiring ends controversy
FLINT
Tuesday, October 11, 2005
By Matt Bach

FLINT - Walter Milton Jr. is officially Flint schools superintendent.

The board approved a three-year, eight-month contract with a base pay of $150,000 and 2 percent annual salary increases. Milton's first day on the job will be Monday.
Milton's base pay of $150,000 is about $10,000 more than what former superintendent Felix H. Chow made before he resigned in April. But Chow received about $10,000 more annually in tax-deferred annuities, Harbin said.

Milton's contract costs the district about $230,000, including benefits, compared with a total of about $217,000 for Chow. Milton's contract also includes a payment of up to $11,000 for moving and temporary living expenses that Chow did not receive.
One other significant difference between the contracts of Chow and Milton is in how they will be renewed. Chow's contract was set up so that it was a continuous three-year pact extended annually by one year. Milton's contract won't go up for renewal or extension until May 2008, said board attorney Kendall Williams.

The board also will work with Milton to set a series of performance goals for Milton. Those goals could be tied to a yet-to-be-determined lump sum incentive bonus, Williams said.

QUICK FACTS

Milton's payHere's what the base pay will be for incoming Superintendent Walter Milton Jr. The pay increases by 2 percent each year:

2005-06 $150,000*
2006-07 $153,000
2007-08 $156,060
2008-09 $159,181

* Prorated - actual pay will be about $105,000 because he started three months into the school year.

Superintendent search costs

How much the Flint Board of Education has spent so far on its search for a new superintendent. The money came from a grant from the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation.

# Search consultant (Hazard, Young, Attea and Associates): $22,500.

# Advertising: $2,342.05.

# Transportation to New York for site visits: $3,029.

# Total spent: $27,871.05.

# Money remaining from grant: $36,843.95.

Note: A few additional bills are still expected.

Source: Flint School District

Superintendent perks

Here's some other components to the contract for new Flint School Superintendent Walter Milton Jr.:

# Up to $11,000 for moving and temporary housing expenses (one-time expense).

# $10,000 annually for a tax-deferred annuity.

# $7,200 annual (or $600 a month) stipend for expenses, such as employee dinners, receptions, nonpolitical and secular fundraising solicitations, service club-related costs and expenses for his spouse at school-related dinners and receptions. He will receive extra reimbursement for attending professional meetings, conferences, seminars and college courses as approved by the school board.

# $24,510 a year to the Michigan Public School Employees Retirement System.

# A Buick LaCrosse automobile previously used by former Superintendent Felix H. Chow.

# 25 vacation days, 12 sick days and 3 personal days per year. The days cannot be accrued.

# A term-life insurance policy valued at $400,000.

# The board can terminate the contract at any time without cause but would have to pay off the remaining balance of the contract.

# The board also can choose to give Milton a lump-sum incentive bonus for the 2006-07 school year based on measurable but still-undetermined performance goals.

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:57 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Amen! Pass the buscuits!

quote:
last time here schreef:
if she keeps the board away from her decisions, she'll be fine. Cool Cool Cool

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: