FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Bill Ayre Resigns!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
bigmouthconservative
F L I N T O I D

Da Mayor's paving and demolition Guru has announced his last day at the City of Flint. He called us all in the day before Thanksgiving to break the news.

There is much speculation who his replacement will be. Maybe Chucky Young since he is back to work!!
Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:02 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Bill Ayre is a very good man, very remarkable!
He is brillant and does a good job, he will be missed!

quote:
bigmouthconservative schreef:
Da Mayor's paving and demolition Guru has announced his last day at the City of Flint. He called us all in the day before Thanksgiving to break the news.

There is much speculation who his replacement will be. Maybe Chucky Young since he is back to work!!

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:37 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
What date did he announce would be his last day?
Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:20 pm 
last time here

damn!!! from what i've seen on channel 17, he appeared
quite competent. thats interesting..... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:27 pm 
bigmouthconservative
F L I N T O I D

Next week is it. He spends half the winter in Florida anyway.
Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:46 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Flint's roads, public works chief resigning Wednesday
Posted by Chad Swiatecki | The Flint Journal November 25, 2007 20:52PM

FLINT -- The city's director of transportation and public works will resign from the post on Wednesday.

Mayor Don Williamson confirmed today that Bill Ayre turned in his resignation letter almost two weeks ago with plans to serve until Nov. 28.

"He told me after the (Nov. 8 mayoral) election that he was going to retire, but I knew he'd been thinking about it for some time," Williamson said.

"I tried to talk him out of it and kept on hoping he'd change his mind because he's a genius when it comes to roads, bridges and pretty much everything you need done in the city. No one person will be able to replace him."

Williamson said Ayre didn't have a specific reason for leaving his position, but alluded to recent friction with the City Council and Ayre over road projects, saying, "Some of the things you try to do in life, people put obstacles in your way and that kind of changes how you think and approach things."

Williamson said he's put feelers out for a replacement for Ayre but didn't have a timetable for filling the position.

The Journal was unable to reach Ayre for comment Sunday but he acknowledged earlier this month that slow action by the council on a grant to switch downtown Flint streets from their current one-way orientation was a source of recent frustration.

A former school teacher, Ayre served as supervisor of Genesee Township and director of the Genesee County Road Commission before taking the city job under longtime acquaintance Williamson.

His years of experience with roadwork and other municipal infrastructure issues helped him spearhead Williamson's drive to repave hundreds of miles of city streets in the last three years.

"He was knowledgeable about streets, sidewalks, bridges ... everything, and he was one of the few people all members of the council felt they could talk to," said Councilman Darryl Buchanan.

"He could look at a street that was under construction and tell just from looking at it if more work had to be done, so we could take care of problems while the contractor was still right there on the scene."

Like Williamson, Buchanan said replacing Ayre's expertise and ability will be hard, making it likely two or more new hires will take over his duties.

"He has such a wealth of knowledge, we'd be blessed to find one person with all of his ability."

Source: http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2007/11/flints_dpw_director_to_resign.html
Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:52 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Bill is a genius, it will be tough finding someone who has a passion for this kinda thing.

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

On the ch12 news at 5, they said that one of the reasons Ayres retired was "The childish attitude of a majority of the City Council". Not applying for the grant to change the traffic signals to make 2 way streets downtown. There was also a mention, if I heard correctly, of a 7 MILLION dollar grant for sidewalk replacement. That would be enough to replace every sidewalk in the city!

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

The guy is a genius as i have said before! They are trying to get 7 million for sidewalk repair/replacement, do you know if they did get it?

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
On the ch12 news at 5, they said that one of the reasons Ayres retired was "The childish attitude of a majority of the City Council". Not applying for the grant to change the traffic signals to make 2 way streets downtown. There was also a mention, if I heard correctly, of a 7 MILLION dollar grant for sidewalk replacement. That would be enough to replace every sidewalk in the city!

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:21 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Well, I wouldn't care if the spend 12 months in Florida, he gets the job done!

quote:
Next week is it. He spends half the winter in Florida anyway.

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:24 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Just curious, Confused Why do all the sidewalks need replacing? Confused
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:29 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Why do all the sidewalks need replacing?
They don't all need to be replaced.
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:41 pm 
last time here

you gotta be kidding...council also BLEW a grant of 7 mil? Shocked Shocked

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:08 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Remember, I said IF I HEARD CORRECTLY.
I don't know about anyone else's neighborhood, but we've got sidewalk blocks with the date 1925 in them - they're the originals.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

i got you beat!! while taking my fat guy walk the other day i saw several
dated 1916. whats funny is those were the ones NOT cracked!! Shocked

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:28 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: