FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Abandoned homes come down at record pace

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=4122852

FLINT (WJRT) - (04/27/06)--Dangerous Flint homes are being torn down at a record pace. Within the past few months, the city started an accelerated demolition plan.

One-hundred-and-fifty homes have been demolished since Janauary. But 130 of those were demoed within the last two months. That's when the city kicked things into high gear.

It's been a big deal for Mike and Natasha Shields. They live right next door to a house that went down.

The city knows the abandoned homes are creating problems. That's why it's putting a clear emphasis on getting them taken down and cleaned up.

The city is taking advantage of the light snow over the winter and have had two demolition crews working. With that extra help, March and April became busy months in the city's taking town about 20 homes per week.

It takes a lot of paperwork. Seven signatures and approval from the Department of Environmental Quality are required for each home.

The accelerated program is finished, but crews continue to tear down homes -- about two a day. It could be a long time before they run out of homes to tear down.

If you think there's a home in your neighborhood that needs to come down, contact Code Enforcement at Flint City Hall.

Overall I think this is a great story. As a perfectionist I would like to see some houses rehabilitated or allow them to be parted out. As an example I could personally use some original 1920's-40s unpainted original hardwood doors and perhaps some other things to help me cost effectively rebuild my house. I imagine some of these houses have original items that you could sell on Ebay. There are people who would pay a lot of money for antique fixtures doors etc. on places like EBAY. Before they destroy houses it would be nice for people like me to be let in to raid them.

Adam Ford
Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:56 am 

quote:
Adam schreef:
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=4122852

Overall I think this is a great story. As a perfectionist I would like to see some houses rehabilitated or allow them to be parted out. As an example I could personally use some original 1920's-40s unpainted original hardwood doors and perhaps some other things to help me cost effectively rebuild my house. I imagine some of these houses have original items that you could sell on Ebay. There are people who would pay a lot of money for antique fixtures doors etc. on places like EBAY. Before they destroy houses it would be nice for people like me to be let in to raid them.

Adam Ford

hey Adam, when you are raiding the homes, don't forget the aluminum siding! Very Happy

There are scrap yard dealers standing by to buy your loot! why go through the hassle of eBay? Cool

maybe you'll get your picture taken by some outraged homeowner, so the police will know who not to question... Rolling Eyes
Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:56 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: