FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: FLINT SCHOOL CLOSING! Your Citizen information exchange3185
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

So when does a baby become a live human being? Once it's born?
Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:01 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

Questions about souls and the beginning of life are religious matters. We each must decide that for ourselves.
Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:03 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I'm no theological expert. For me, it's before it's born but past the point where it could survive as a preemie... when it becomes "viable". That is the key for me: can it live on its own? That's at least 23 weeks.

Which is not to say I'm passing judgment on when women get abortions. But I suppose morally it would bother me more if it was an embryo of 28 weeks than it would if it was 4 weeks.
Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:03 pm 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

But what bothers you may not be what bothers another woman. What IS viable? And at what point should extraordinary means not be taken to preserve a life? Where does God meet up with science?

I'm not willing to make a religious decision for any woman. And I'm certainly not willing to watch legislation enacted based upon any particular set of religious beliefs.

I believe in personal and religious choice. That doesn't mean I believe in abortion.
Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:12 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

I've got a 15 year old nephew that, without his mother, is unviable. He can breathe on his own...but other than that, he's totally helpless. (And no, he'd not handicapped, at least technically!)
Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:10 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Agreed 100%, Deena. I can only speak about how I may feel personally about my OWN pregnancy (if there was one, that is).

Which is why it bothers me that the Supreme Court recently made that partial birth decision. And to boot, I believe it was John Roberts who said he was doing a favor for women because they can't comprehend the emotional consequences.

HA! Thanks Preacher John. When I need your help sorting out my emotions, I'll let you know.
Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:18 pm 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:
I've got a 15 year old nephew that, without his mother, is unviable. He can breathe on his own...but other than that, he's totally helpless. (And no, he'd not handicapped, at least technically!)

Typical teenager. My daughter, who has yet to get a "B", is incapable of getting a bowl of ice cream on her own. Smile
Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:35 pm 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Demeralda schreef:
Agreed 100%, Deena. I can only speak about how I may feel personally about my OWN pregnancy (if there was one, that is).

Which is why it bothers me that the Supreme Court recently made that partial birth decision. And to boot, I believe it was John Roberts who said he was doing a favor for women because they can't comprehend the emotional consequences.

HA! Thanks Preacher John. When I need your help sorting out my emotions, I'll let you know.

I have yet to see any study done that doesn't include so much bias on the part of the surveyor and/or questions that it has to be deemed totally unreliable. I have no doubt that any abortion results in emotional damage---as does any unplanned pregnancy. Each woman and each situation is different. That fact is never registered by statistics.
Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:38 pm 
last time here

i maintain the view that, as a man, i have no right to force
my beliefs upon women, and neither does anyone else. Cool

brother adam, you ain't got a chance with this one!!

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:24 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
The schools meeting went well. The process will probably take about a year. Today was mainly an introductory meeting. My suggestion was to have a school board president/member on our committee so we don't have our suggestions ignored like with the last group. There are 20 people on our committee and 10 other people will be chosen from places like the land bank etc.

Adam,

Thanks for stepping up and staying on point.
I ask how did these 20 people get selected? How did you submit?
I emailed S. Payton and a board member but did not attend a community meeting. My badd.

Still I would like to hear from others that submitted an interest and were not responded to with adequate details to be included in the process...?

I personally had asked for the proposed schedule of meetings to know that I could attend all vs. just a few. A major problem that derailed prior committees findings were those that did not attend all meetings and then were unhappy with final results. It is a learning process that must go from point A thru Z.

You say this will be a year long process and I agree it would take that long to disseminate much information. To break through preconsieved notions and siloistic boundries.

Still the State of the budget and current declining enrollment calls for School closings last year. We will see school closings on the agenda come February after 2nd student count day in 2008.

We keep closing Elementary schools that cost less to operate than secondary schools. This destroys communities and causes less enrollment in secondary schools by closing schools that feed into them. This also creates a market for Elementary charter schools.

We needed a long term plan five years ago.

Oh, we had one.. but the board and superintendent changed and changed.The state will likely prorate the current budget causing mid-year cuts in per pupil funding.

likely your committee will have NO effect on this years school closings.

Peace,
RAP

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:51 pm 
last time here

DAMN!!!!! Crying or Very sad

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:31 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

MY PRESUMPTOIN
To make a great city , or just a desireable one, the municipality, educational, county,and state units of government must work together.
People move into or leave a city many times because of the school system.

QUESTION
How can the City of Flint work Closer with the Flint Board of Education to make a better school system and city?

TRB
01/08/08
Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I'd love to see the city & the board come together. I'm afraid that some would see it as an invasion of "their" turf. The closing committee will probably be viewed in that light as well. This is why I'm totally disgusted with politics; people too obsessed with being "in charge". Some of these people forget that they work for us, not the other way around.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
I'd love to see the city & the board come together. I'm afraid that some would see it as an invasion of "their" turf. The closing committee will probably be viewed in that light as well. This is why I'm totally disgusted with politics; people too obsessed with being "in charge". Some of these people forget that they work for us, not the other way around.

The City could work to provide better security up to the doors of the school and better maintenancde of the city property surrounding it to start.

Mabey somebody just has to start by sending representatives to the meetings of these other bodies to have better information and to reach out?
Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:56 pm 
last time here

honestly, i doubt if it would ever happen but i don't think it would hurt
for the mayors people to get together with the school people to mull
over possibilities of resourceful consolidation of buildings and other
costs which may, if seen in a different light, allow other non-painful but
effective cost-cutting measures. i think in order for that type of association
to work, boundaries would have to be set in order to avoid a confrontational
situation. anything is possible when both parties wish the same result. Wink

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:30 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Last Topic | Next Topic  >