FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: FLINT SCHOOL CLOSING! Your Citizen information exchange3185
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

She was very special.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

"Complaints that teachers push liberal ideology are trickling down from college campuses to the K-12 level"

HAHA. Whoever posted this, good lord. The article, featured in that prominent source so many Americans rely on, THE CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR, only talks about the number of conservative groups that have formed to complain about anything and everything.

I'm not terribly surprised because, as I see it, conservatives are the most paranoid and have the biggest persecution complexes. How many times have you read about "liberal bias" in the media? And yet you don't see "libs" falling back on that whine.

If the world were frightened every time conservatives squawk about "libs" pushing their "agenda" (you know, things like knowledge of other religions, cultures... useless stuff like that), we'd still be stuck believing the earth is flat and is the center of the universe.

PS - I'm even loathe to call them conservatives. The new breed of megalomaniacal neo-cons doesn't deserve to be in the same league as someone like Ron Paul.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:47 pm 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

I think most Americans are moderates and no one is addressing their concerns.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:33 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I think most Americans need the government/media to tell them what they should be concerned about. They don't think for themselves, merely regurgitate.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:56 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well I used that Christian Science Monitor article because it was the first I came to. I know you cant trust those whacko christians to give out any factual data . And of course the likes of Rush, Sean Hannity, Michele Malkin Matt Drudge and many more paranoid conservatives cant be trusted to speak the truth. All the articles I read about kids being forced to watch Algores little "I can save the planet movie" with no rebuttle allowed or made avaliable, like wise with one of Mike Moores "documentarys" Rolling Eyes such as Bowling for Columbine designed to imprint for ever on the minds of its young audience the evils of the 2nd ammendment. And of course some years back with those elitists decide to introduce such literary works like 'Heather Has Two Mommies" ( I wonder if they ever came out with the sequel "Stanley has Two Dads." are probably not accurate. The recent episode where the left leaning school board decide to make condoms avaliable to 11 yr olds despite the overwheming opposition from the kids parents. Now theirs a school board that could stand a good ass whiping. How about those school campuses who will not allow ROTC or military personel on the premises no liberal bias there. I cant speak of what transpires at Whittier possibly they dont have a majority of left leaning faculty but I would bet a quick poll would show where most of their political ideas are formed. I have a daughterinlaw who has a masters in elemetary Ed from the Uof M. I watched her politics and ideas on the world turn more leftist as her education progressed where do you suppose that came from?
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:04 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Demeralda schreef:
I think most Americans need the government/media to tell them what they should be concerned about. They don't think for themselves, merely regurgitate.

Including you?
I think for myself.
I believe in helping those in need, but NOT a lifetime handout/entitlement.
I believe that the Police are a reactive agency. it's up to be to be proactive about my own and my family's safety.
I believe that a smaller government is more efficient and better than a bigger one.
I believe that when you come to this country you have an obligation to learn the language. My grandparents did when they came here in the early 1900's. Why should it be different today?
I believe that every citizen of this country should have health care, but if the government runs it we'll have a fiasco on our hands.
I believe that I an responsible for my actions, not someone else. There is no such thing as "society's fault".
I believe there is only ONE race; human. Differences like skin color, eye shape, etc. are superficial and meaningless.
I believe in equal opportunity for everyone. PERIOD. NO preferences for anyone for any reason. EXCEPTION Provsisions must be made for low income students to get a college education if they want one, and meet standard admission requirements.
I believe I have the right to celebrate my Religious Holidays without interference. People not of my religion have the reigh to celebrate theirs without interference too.
I believe that I have to right to choose my religion. I do NOT have the right to force others to believe as I do, or to threaten to kill them if they don't think and believe as i do.

I believe I'll go get a cup of coffee now.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Audit says former Flint superintendent was overpaid by New York school district

http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2007/11/audit_says_former_flint_superi.html#more

Posted by Melissa Burden | The Flint Journal November 29, 2007 15:00PM
Categories: Breaking News, Flint, K-12 Education
FALLSBURG, N.Y. -- A New York state audit released Wednesday claims Flint's controversial former schools superintendent was overpaid more than $44,000 in salary, moving expenses and other reimbursements when he led a southern New York school district.

That New York district now hopes to recover tens of thousands of dollars from Walter Milton Jr. and other employees the audit identified who were overpaid or received funds improperly.

Milton was superintendent of the Fallsburg Central School District from July 2003 until he came to Flint in fall 2005. He left Flint officially June 30 for a superintendent post in Springfield, Ill., following a stormy tenure.

The results of the audit released Wednesday by the office of the New York state comptroller says that there were "extensive problems with district operations" from July 1, 2004, through May 8, 2006.

Milton, reached late Wednesday, said the audit has "no rate of validity at all. This is old news. This has been covered. There is nothing there."

He referred questions to his New York state attorney, who The Journal could not reach for comment.

The audit reviewed financial controls and transactions related to Milton and educational consulting firm Gateway Learning Inc., which was headed by former Flint schools administrator Julius B. Anthony. Milton and Anthony also once ran a business together.

The audit report said that the Fallsburg Board of Education did not establish controls to ensure Milton was paid within the board-approved contract and failed to prevent him from initiating or allowing "improper payments to himself or others."

Among the findings:
• Milton was overpaid a total of $44,457 in salary, moving expenses, unused vacation days, and other payments from July 1, 2003, through Sept. 30, 2005. The majority, $35,043, was related to nonpayroll payments and $9,414 was in salary overpayments, such as unused vacation time.

• Included in the overpayments was $7,000 Milton charged to a district credit card for personal expenses. He has reimbursed the district $2,375 but still owes $4,625 for purchases such as restaurant meals, gasoline, car washes, and oil changes for his personal vehicle, cellphone charges, and video and car rentals.

• In addition, the audit says there were $17,810 in purchases that Milton made on the district credit card that the district could not provide receipts or other documentation for.

• Fallsburg did not conduct a fingerprint background check on Anthony when he was hired as a consultant, violating New York state law and "put students' welfare in jeopardy."

• A contract to Gateway Learning was not competitively bid, as district policy required, and was granted on Milton's recommendation. Anthony was paid nearly $5,700 in reimbursements that were not in his contract.

Ivan Katz, Fallsburg's superintendent since August 2006, said the district would try to recover money in question.

"We are looking to recoup every expense coming to us and we're working closely with our attorney to do that within the perimeters of the law," Katz said, adding the district has corrected all state-identified management issues.

Katz said the district also might try to seek nonapproved expenses from Anthony.

Anthony earlier this month was sentenced to 5 years in prison and 10 years' on probation for a 1996 child molestation case in Georgia.

He resigned from his Flint schools' executive post in September 2006 after a background check unveiled a sexual battery conviction stemming from the 1996 incident. Anthony had worked in Flint as a consultant from December 2005 until July 2006 before he was hired into the executive job.

Flint Board of Education President Vera J. Perry declined comment on the audit because she had not seen the report.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Couple things here.

No, I don't regurgitate. I actually almost wish I did because I would always know the correct response to a challenging question.

I actually don't believe most Americans are moderates -- I believe they're moderate about 90% of things, and then there's like 2 or 3 issues that they're absolutely fanatical about, whether it be "conservative" or "liberal" --labels I hate, by the way.

twotap -

I know that was the first story you came upon to support your position, and I'm sorry if I ridiculed.

I'm quite certain you're right about one thing: there's a direct correlation between higher education (and I mean like PhD, not professional degrees) and leftism. I figure that's because the left is more "open" to new ideas, and more open to relativism; conservatives tend to be more absolute, more black and white about their views. This is a layman's analysis, so please don't go ballistic on me.

However, I will argue with you on one thing: you point out the condom incident, but let's also not forget the Dover school board and their attempt to cram creationism down the throats of those students. The parents got so angry that all those board members were recalled and replaced with evolution proponents. That seems to be the more common sort of controversy than the condoms.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:53 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Hey Demeralda no apology is necessary. Very Happy Everythings fair in love and political discussions. Very Happy By the way if you check I will bet you will find many more instances of left wing whacko ideas being forced on todays school kiddies than by those evil right wingers. And while your at it if you have a pet go to the open chat forum and post a photo of it. I put mine up there to show what a mean hearted rightwinger I am. Very Happy
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:16 pm 
last time here

i am so tired of all these out of state clowns coming in and screwing up
everything they get their hands on... these boards, councils and the like
are not doing their jobs!! tsk tsk tsk!!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:39 pm 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Does every kid in Flint have the opportunity to get into a program like Whittier's if they're qualified and desire such a program?

Absolutely, it is a Flint Public School

quote:
I actually don't believe most Americans are moderates -- I believe they're moderate about 90% of things, and then there's like 2 or 3 issues that they're absolutely fanatical about, whether it be "conservative" or "liberal" --labels I hate, by the way.

Good point, you're probably right about that. What is it you are fanatical about? I'm pretty much an open book. I'm fanatical about public education---and both parties have let me down.
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:36 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I'm fanatical about personal freedom -- that is, I can't stand legislation that is based on moral relativism and affects how I conduct my life as a consenting adult. These include:

drug laws
sex laws
illegal wiretapping
seat belt and helmet laws
and, of course, reproductive laws

In general, I'm fanatical about too many things, though.

I also feel very strongly about healthcare, because I do believe it's a universal human right; to me, it goes to the heart of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:05 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

I'm probably fanatical about too many things too. Somewhere along the way though, I've realized that I'll never find a candidate fanatical about the same issues as I, thus my vote is always a compromise.

I can probably sum it up somewhat. I'm fanatical about one particular line in the preamble, right after "provide for the common defense". It's the one the most conservative citizens disavow: "Promote the general welfare"...I think that line covers a lot of things our government should be doing for "we the people"...like healthcare.
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:09 am 
last time here

now these are smart ladies!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:18 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

They need to donate Flint Central to the Cultural Center Corp!

Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: