FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: FLINT SCHOOL CLOSING! Your Citizen information exchange3185
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Sorry about the spelling/grammar i was in a hurry and limited on time!

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

why was it torn down. who was behind that move. it was a great building.

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:55 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Also the old Buick World Headquarters was sold as a building that was falling apart. but that wasn't true. I toured the building with a camara crew 2 months before demolition was to start. We found the building in really superb shape. Why couldn't that building been put to use, sold or donated to someone to use it? We will never see a building of that magnitute in Flint again. ( I do hope I am wrong about that, but the odds are unlikely).

The problem with the Buick headquarters was that it was heated by steam from the power house. When the power house went away, so did the steam. If I remember correctly, it WAS offered to the city for $1.00, and was considered as a police headquarters. Conversion costs would have been really high. And, I heard that Hoodrow didn't want "the G.D. cops to have a place better than he had at city hall".

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Part three
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2011191656

On February 10, 2007,concerned Flint citizens again gathered, at a workshop sponsored by Attorney Terry Bankert, to address the future of the Flint Public School System. In this installment, former Beecher School Board Member, David Grant, outlines how his district addressed many of the same challenges now faced by Flint public schools. Public Development produced this video.

David Grant is an attorney practicing in the Flint Area.

posted to Flint Talk
http://flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=18786#18786

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

huh?

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

how schools are funded

This is part 4 of a series of video posting of Public Development. They are from a 2007 workshop on Flint Board of Education issues. This thread has an objective of providing school information and promoting public debate on school closings as the Flint Board of Education moves towards closing many of our Flint Schools. Join in.

Part Four

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2012925757

On February 10,2007 concerned Flint citizens again gathered to address the future of the Flint Public School System. This Discussion took place at a workshop sponsored by attorney Terry Bankert. In this installment, mayoral candidates Dale Weighill & Norm Bryant address the audience. Then, former State Rep. Jack Minore discusses how schools are funded.

posted to Flint Talk
http://flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=18835#18835

Posted here by
Terry Bankert
attorneybankert@yahoo.com

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:41 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
huh?

Dubya, I think Terry is providing information for background/grounding for the upcoming effort to re-evaluate the FCS capacity vice demand...ie; clsoing surplus facilities.

Its important those decisions be made within the context of needs, costs among the criteria.

Go ask l'il Cheney if it still isn't clear..............

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:10 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

More on school funding.

Part Five
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2012977945

posted also to Flint Talk
http://flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=18860#18860

Part Five

On February 10,2007, concerned Flint citizens again gathered to address the future of the Flint Public School System. The event was a workshop sponsored by attorney Terry Bankert. In this installment, former State Rep. Jack Minore continues his discussion of how schools are funded.

Thank you Public Development and all the speakers.

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:27 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Oh okay, we were talking about Clark School, Buick World Headquaters and then he posted.
quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
huh?

Dubya, I think Terry is providing information for background/grounding for the upcoming effort to re-evaluate the FCS capacity vice demand...ie; clsoing surplus facilities.

Its important those decisions be made within the context of needs, costs among the criteria.

Go ask l'il Cheney if it still isn't clear..............

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:42 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

I have been unable to attend any of these meetings. What has been stated about the building housing Whittier Classical Academy? It is far and away the best school any of my children have ever attended.
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:34 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Deena,
The Classical program housed at former Whittier Middle School is an excellent program with dedicated teachers.

Could you envision this program in a state of the art facility?

Peace,
RAP

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:18 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If they have the equipment and materials they need, how would a new building improve things?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:10 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

Ah man, you're hitting me where I live. I've been known to suffer from "new school envy"! ( Have you ever been to Lake Orion or Rockford High schools? Smile)

That said, I'm also a pragmatist. I know that the secret to a good education has little to do with the building in which it is housed. A good education is all about fine teachers, disciplined and motivated students, involved parents, and high standards. (And it has nothing to do with uniforms---but that's another thread.) I know that programs like Whittier's are often accused of being "elitist" and full of "frills". I know the odds of the taxpayers ever building a new building for such a school are slim to nil, and I would certainly never trade the strict admission policy for more modern facilities.

The other concern a new building evokes is that old real estate axiom, "location, location, location". Where would such a building be built? It is my firm belief that this school needs ready access to the facilities of either the College and Cultural Center or U/M. It needs to either be very near its current location or downtown. Any other location would destroy the concept.

When you ask me how I feel about a state-of-the-art facility for this school, the temptation is to drool at the possibilities. I just don't want to see it ruined in an attempt to "upgrade" it. Sometimes a low profile has advantages, ya know? I also know that a new building with great technology and a center of the city location has the potential of building a reputation that would attract disenchanted suburban students and that's a lot of what education has come to---the battle for state aid $$.

The question is if the district can come up with the funding and the commitment to establish this school as a standard of excellence---and to hold off the disgruntled taxpayers who cannot distinguish between "equal rights" and "equality of opportunity".

And all of this is just my 2 cents...
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:13 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
If they have the equipment and materials they need, how would a new building improve things?

OMG Dave, this is exactly what was said when the schools began using laptops. It's a short-sighted and CHEAP assessment of the needs of 21st century students. A modern buiding would make a HUGE difference.
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:18 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

[/quote]and to hold off the disgruntled taxpayers[quote]
Deena whats the difference between a "Disgruntled taxpayer" and one who is undisgruntled? Confused Confused Laughing Laughing
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:56 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: