FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: FLINT SCHOOL CLOSING! Your Citizen information exchange3185
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
quote:
Adam schreef:
Do we need 3 badly performing high schools in the north end? Could we get by with 2?

3 high schools in the north end???
Northern
Northwestern
????

Beecher. Part of the Beecher district covers the North end of Flint so we have 3 high schools that cover the north end of Flint.
Post Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:31 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
quote:
Adam schreef:
Do we need 3 badly performing high schools in the north end? Could we get by with 2?

3 high schools in the north end???
Northern
Northwestern
????

Beecher. Part of the Beecher district covers the North end of Flint so we have 3 high schools that cover the north end of Flint.

Adam,
Are you suggesting consolidating with Beecher?

Pros- cons, think out of the box.

Rap

Post Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:57 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

quote:
shintz62 schreef:
I am a 68 yr old retired Flint Teacher. Children in your day had discipline at home. My Grand child has 5 different baby sitters. Her 2 'nd grade teacher is just one more person, in addition to her 2 parents, telling her what to do. With the teacher, she is disciplined in 8 different ways every week. Today's teachers need combat pay. If you walk down the street and see 2 kids together, you shiver a little. Then you send a teacher into a room of 31 and expect her to change something. AND YOU KNOW WHAT, most teachers do. Until you have taught any grade of children for one year, NEVER, speak negatively of teachers.
And in my day, Flint Schools were studied by educators from all over the world because of our innovative system.
The thing that is wrong with Flint is that it created GM. It made GM synonymous with quality. AND, GM divorced Flint and ran off to look for cheaper labor. If no one can afford to buy the cars, you can't sell cars. Most of Big Business was built on the backs of hard working proud Americans. And then they went looking for cheap labor.
I would bet if someone got all the caring Flintites together in one place, they would come up with a plan to restore Flint.

Rap says..
If you could get more parents on the same page with teachers they could support at home what is taught in the classroom.
Discipline techniques can be taught to parents..if they are involved in school activities.
Parents of KDG students can learn the same disciplines taught in classrooms. Use your words..rather than cry or hit. No running in hallways..because you can hurt yourself.
Peace Options can be taught, Compromise, Apologize, Walk away or Get help rather than fight.

Schools seem to be scared of parents these days but if more parents were welcomed they would learn by observing how to use these same tools at home that are taught in the classroom.

Consistancy of discipline.

These are the rules expected of your child.

A child can follow school rules all day then let them come to science fair with mom or dad and they will tear through the aisles, knocking down projects with no word from guardians.

A teacher needs to say..you are at school these are the rules stiill apply.
If parents were to visit classrooms during class they would also learn the techniques and rules and apply them at home.

Peace,
Rap

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:53 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Part one of a series. A re-post of a workshop held last year prior to school board elections.
Posted 11/18/07 to Flint Talk
http://www.flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=18517#18517

WHAT IS A GREAT SCHOOL?
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1979914808

On February 10, 2007, concerned Flint citizens again gathered at a workshop sponsored by Flint Attorney Terry Bankert, to address the future of the Flint Public School System. In this installment, Jim Richardson of the Great Schools Initiative outlines the "9 Standards for Great Schools" and more.

Thank You again Public Development for producing this segment last years.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ARE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A GREAT SCHOOL SYSTEM?
Posted here
11/19/07
Terry Bankert
attorneybankert@yahoo.com
Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

With the Beecher district we could try and take it over "merger" or we could try and take back the Flint part of it and send those kids to Flint schools which would increase our enrollment or we could give up some of our district and close one of our northern schools to save a little bit of money.

I'm not of fan of Flint students being sent to Beecher schools. I'm not convinced Beecher is any better than our schools.

I don't profess to have a solution on this one but I think these are things worth considering although in principle I would probably support reclaiming our part of the Beecher district.

A more extreme idea would be for Flint to annex Mt Morris Twp which would also give us the Beecher district.

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:46 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I went to the forum at Northern today. There is one left tomorrow at SWA.

There was a lot of diversity at the forum. There will be a lot of irate parents whatever decisions are made. As interim (sould be permanent) superintendent Thompson said parents will be mad after the decisions are made but are not getting involved in the process.

I think for at least my part of the Flint school district (Flint Central) Flint Central should be a regular high school like in the other good schools in our county but I was one of the very few people that supports tradional high schools. People all seem to think that you need to keep younger kids away from the bad older kids. I think they're wrong because these "bad" older kids are the ones that are actually staying in school.

I am also disgruntled because my high school "Central" is rated as being in poor condition (12/2002) even though I think it looks better than what I have seen at Northern.

We were told to email spayton@flintschools.org if we want to be on the closure committee "facilities advisory". I sent my email.

On another note our "interim" superintendent who I support is starting to drum up support for a mileage to build a new school which I will probably not support.
Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:01 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

We have double the needed capacity now. Why close buildings, then build a new one? Is Central so bad that it's beyond repair? I understand that there's a need for a high school in that part of Flint, but given the current economic situation in Flint, I can't see building a new school. New facilities are nice, but we have to be practical.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

actually, i tend to agree. being a lover of classic architecture AND common
sense, it makes sense to refurbish Central. the buildings already there.

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:52 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

If Flint Central is closed it needs to be preserved and given to the Flint Cultural Center Corporation to be intergrated into its Cultural Center Campus. Art Clases, lectures etc.

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

agree ryan. it's going to hurt me to see clark demolished whenever
that time comes. several of those schools were built during the same
time frame mid 1920s. i once went into the attic of the school career
alliance is using before it was renovated. i found neat stuff from the
1920s up there. you could feel and smell the history. pop bottles, oil
cans, massive motors once used to push air....i'm just a sucker
for history.. oh my!! Wink Wink

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:48 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I agree with you Clark School is very cool, but it keeps getting worse and worse. Who owns it do you know?

quote:
last time here schreef:
agree ryan. it's going to hurt me to see clark demolished whenever
that time comes. several of those schools were built during the same
time frame mid 1920s. i once went into the attic of the school career
alliance is using before it was renovated. i found neat stuff from the
1920s up there. you could feel and smell the history. pop bottles, oil
cans, massive motors once used to push air....i'm just a sucker
for history.. oh my!! Wink Wink

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

a history of public schools in Michigan
posted to Flint Talk at
http://flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=18716#18716

Part two

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2002293748

On February 10, concerned Flint citizens again gathered at a workshop sponsored by Attorney Terry Bankert to address the future of the Flint Public School System. In this installment, 2007 Board of Ed. candidates introduce themselves & MCC political science professor Paul Rozycki outlines a history of public schools in Michigan.

Public Development produced this clip , thank you.

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:05 am 
last time here

i don't know ryan, but i would guess a church probably attempted
to acquire it until they got into the cost to fire up the boilers!!!!! Shocked

i'd love to look inside. if the roof hasn't leaked the building should be immaculate!!!! Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

a lot of 80 year olds went there. history prayer

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:54 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Yeah I would love to tour the building as well
quote:
last time here schreef:
i don't know ryan, but i would guess a church probably attempted
to acquire it until they got into the cost to fire up the boilers!!!!! Shocked

i'd love to look inside. if the roof hasn't leaked the building should be immaculate!!!! Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

a lot of 80 year olds went there. history prayer

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:43 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I believe that the public should be able to tour city, county, or properties the city plans to tear down. For instance AutoWorld and the Old IMA was sold as a building that was falling apart and in disrepair, however it was a in better shape than most Flint School Buildings.

I think the public should be able to tour buildings when it costs them money to tear down. For instance the Old IMA, or some of these schools. Not little houses, but things that are valued at a high amount of money.

Also the old Buick World Headquarters was sold as a building that was falling apart. but that wasn't true. I toured the building with a camara crew 2 months before demolition was to start. We found the building in really superb shape. Why couldn't that building been put to use, sold or donated to someone to use it? We will never see a building of that magnitute in Flint again. ( I do hope I am wrong about that, but the odds are unlikely).

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:47 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: