FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: FLINT SCHOOL CLOSING! Your Citizen information exchange3185
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

quote:
They need to donate Flint Central to the Cultural Center Corp!
[/quote]

Why? So they can tear it down and put in a parking lot? That would look real pretty.
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Deena
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Baloney. If that building is usable it needs to remain a Flint School. It is far too full of history to be turned over to either Mott College OR the Cultural Center. To some of us that history is very important.

But you never DID get that , did you Mr. Eashoo?
Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:50 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

That building is sinking! Needs major work. Would that Mott College or Culteral Center or even Ruth Mott foundation take on the dinosaur.

They would not take it for $1.

It has great programs, Beautiful areas, defunct areas and Millions of dollars of cost to operate and not even maintain.

it is in a central location albeit low lying. To build at same location or renovate would be the same extensive cost.

Should all Flint's students bear the wieght to restore or operate this "historic monument"?

Flint's youth deserve a state of the art educational facility with.. if nothing else Clean air to breath.

Clean oxygen for young minds!

Peace,
RAP

Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:48 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

And I think you're dead wrong about this one. Central is not Whittier. The issues are different. Central is properly-sized, has modern athletic facilities, and many of the other amenities necessary for a high school.

I realize we live in Fint Michigan and that we still, after all these years, struggle with "new car mindset". Newer must be better. I don't believe that.

Is everyone familiar with the Historic Trust for National Preservation? You might find http://www.nationaltrust.org/issues/schools/ interesting.

BTW, did anyone notice on last night's news that Bay City has been awarded a national citation for historic preservation?
Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:05 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Deena, did you attend one of the four public meetings held by the Flint School District in November on its facilities plan, which may result in school closings? Terry tried starting a thread about this, but it quickly got sidetracked by off-topic posts. From "Meetings set on district's school facilities plan," Flint Journal, Mon., Nov. 5, 2007, "The district is putting together a community committee of about 30 people who will review building data and set criteria for prioritizing schools and offer suggestions on which schools should consolidate or close. The plan also could recommend building new schools or demolishing closed buildings. The administration will review the group's suggestions and make final recommendations for the Flint Board of Education to consider."

The November meeting dates and places were published, were you there? Unfortunately, I was unable to attend any of the meetings but I care about the real facts concerning the buildings, and the best education available for Flint students, as well as my taxpayer dollars. The problem with the Flint schools is not one of historic preservation but of survival of the entire Flint School District.
Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:07 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

I was unable to attend the meetings, my daughtrer swims every night. I did, however, email Linda Thompson with application to sit on the committee. I have never heard from her.

Flint has a notable disrespect for history. I really do chalk it up to a "new model year" mentality. Newer is not always better. There may be no building in the entire city of Flint more revered than Central High School. It has educated generations of Flint's movers and shakers and deserves the respect of Flint's citizenry. Whatever damage within that school is reparable. The fieldhouse is less than 30 years old and has probably the nicest pool in the area and a fine gymnasium. That building alone is a gem of a facility in Flint. It should not be tossed aside.

At some point Flint's PEOPLE need to stand up and be counted. The razing of CHS would be an unrectifiable mistake---and the very fact that it's even mentioned that both the Cultural Center and Mott College would like the land tells the entire. story.
Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:37 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

The Field house is somewhat new and in fair condition next to educational facilities that are in deplorable conditions. The fieldhouse itself was never proposed to be closed, torn down or renovated.

The old buildings were never maintained adequately or they would not be in such poor condition.

Peace,
RAP

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:08 am 
last time here

aren't funds available for "historic sites"? Smile Surprised Surprised

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:10 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The "historic commission" would probably vote to tear it down, anyway.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Deena
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Mott College and the Cultural Center have lost my support with the following actions:

1. Manning Street.
2. The closing of Durham Pool.
3. The recent announcement that the search for a director at Whiting will go nationwide.
4. The lack of community programs receiving Cultural Center support. Most have become virtually unaffordable to city taxpayers.

The College and Cultural Center have demonstrated repeatedly their lack of respect for citizen input on projects that affect historical sensibilities of the people. The razing of St. Joseph's Hospital demonstrated that clearly and the closing of the Mott pool without any community notice underscored that. That closing demonstrated clearly that Mott felt it had no need for a pool---that the Central Fieldhouse would eventually replace it.

There is foundation funding for some projects available. http://www.nationaltrust.org/funding/nonprofit.html . Central High School is certainly worthy of historical precervation should the School Board elect to pursue it. It is my belief, however, that Flint's historical commission has proven both its lack of dedication to its mission and its respect for meaningful decisions.
Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:11 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
The Field house is somewhat new and in fair condition next to educational facilities that are in deplorable conditions. The fieldhouse itself was never proposed to be closed, torn down or renovated.

The old buildings were never maintained adequately or they would not be in such poor condition.

Peace,
RAP

"Such poor condition" is debatable and I am not suggesting that renovation will be much less expensive than building new. Renovation is simply the RIGHT action to take to honor the most significant building still standing in Flint.

So tell us, Rapunzel, what the plans are calling for. Somewhere I'll bet is the plan to donate the fieldhouse to Mott College and raze the building for additional room for College expansion. Personally I think that plan has NO merit beyond self-serving, and I believe it is clearly laid out in some office. Community study groups LOOK good---and that's what they are designed to do.
Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:17 am 
last time here

hey deena, ever considered city council????
i'd vote for you...your a real "concerned citizen". Wink Wink

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:33 pm 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

Sorry, my job is far too important to haggle over the crap that occupies the council. .

I'm a mom. Smile

(The first thing I'd propose is to eliminate all council pay---we'd soon see who is there to "serve". After that I'd be useless. Smile)
Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:59 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Deena schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Mott College and the Cultural Center have lost my support with the following actions:

1. Manning Street.
2. The closing of Durham Pool.
3. The recent announcement that the search for a director at Whiting will go nationwide.
4. The lack of community programs receiving Cultural Center support. Most have become virtually unaffordable to city taxpayers.

The College and Cultural Center have demonstrated repeatedly their lack of respect for citizen input on projects that affect historical sensibilities of the people. The razing of St. Joseph's Hospital demonstrated that clearly and the closing of the Mott pool without any community notice underscored that. That closing demonstrated clearly that Mott felt it had no need for a pool---that the Central Fieldhouse would eventually replace it.

There is foundation funding for some projects available. http://www.nationaltrust.org/funding/nonprofit.html . Central High School is certainly worthy of historical precervation should the School Board elect to pursue it. It is my belief, however, that Flint's historical commission has proven both its lack of dedication to its mission and its respect for meaningful decisions.

Deena,
I agree with you on all four points. Wholeheartedly. Especially 1 and 4.
1. Manning Street 4. lack of Community programs thanks to Ornstein.
(many more influential than us also continue the boycott of the Cultural center.)
Though the razing of St. Joseph's must had something to do with the great Cancer center on the property now. The doctor I first visited at St. Joes was at the Cancer Center that replaced it. I am sure he had some vision on what would better serve chemo patients. That I am alive.. shows his vision was well thought out.

Some of the great teachers at central or whittier could make great bounds in education. Possibly save lives of many youth in a state of the art facility.

Build a School or..Build a jail..choose. Perhaps leave a Central memorial to Flint's youth.

I am not informed on what current plans call for.

Peace,
RAP

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:57 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

You're a cancer survivor Rapunzel? Congratulations! My heart is with you as you travel the path from "survivor" to "cured".

That's a wonderful facility, but it didn't need to be located there. IIRC, that center was a bargaining chip to the community when most of St Joe's land was turned over to the college. Living in that area for most of my life, I remember (though somewhat vaguely now) the meager bones tossed to the neighborhood. (Another was the tennis courts there, only they called it a "park". Hahaha.)
Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:03 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: