FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: flint city council....
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
last time here

does anyone know if city council has signed off on the budget so the
audit can begin or are they (5 members) still holding out solely to
embarrass the mayor and my city??? ananich is my councilperson and
if this is indeed true, it'll be time to write a letter.. Cool Mad Mad Mad Mad Shocked

Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:04 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
if this is indeed true, it'll be time to write a letter.. Cool Mad Mad Mad Mad Shocked

Good Morning Flint!
11/15/07
by Terry Bankert
First posted to FlintTalk
http://flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=18392#18392

The City Council has only legislative power and budget setting power. By holding up the budget the council may in effect be violating the charter and interfering with the executive function. Of course this mess started before she was council president. With Carolyn Sims in power possibly her leadership will straighten out this mess. This will be her first test.

CHARTER OF THE CITY OF FLINT: 7-102 ...the city council shall no later than the first Monday in June, adopt the budget with or without amendment.....

The Flint Journal editorial was intended to embarrass the mayor.

Their man did not get elected so here it starts.

The Sims council has yet to meet, the new council president barley has had any time to show her ability to do her job and work with the administration with credibility.

Don’t be confused as of this moment it’s the Flint Journal looking to demean the mayor and to say they were right their man should have been elected.

The ball is in Sims court. As to the 7th Ward Council person he is the finance committee chair lets see his stuff.
This issue should be settled at the next Flint City Council meeting.

Ananich should become the swing vote allowing this city to move forward. I live in the 7th ward I’ll be watching also.

But, We should all be watching how this local newspaper tries to start fights between the mayor and council.

The Journal titled their editorial”Wrong way” I guess they think the only way is their way.

Then they say Impass won't help pave downtown, Flint's future. How can there be an impass? The mayor just got re-elected and the council just got effective leadership.

Look at their anti -Williamson propaganda at
http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1195138322259250.xml&coll=5#continue

FIRST EDITION, Thursday, November 15, 2007 ,By Journal Editorial Board cited as [FJ11/14/07]

Well, that didn't take long. [FJ11/14/07]

What did not take long, the Journal attacking the Mayor?

Its been less than a week since the swearing in of the 2nd Williamson term. Carolyn Sims the new, highly talented, council president has yet to have a meeting with a reorganized council.

What did not take long is for the Flint Journal to attack and undermine the government of the City of Flint to sell a few newspapers.

Just a day after reports of Flint Mayor Don Williamson and members of the City Council reaching across the divide between them, news arrives of an important downtown development imperiled by the two sides' inability to work together. [FJ11/14/07]

The news arrived at the Flint Journal by somebody with an agenda to discredit , probably somebody in in the Flint Journal, and with the intent to keep old wounds open.

At stake is a $1.6-million state grant to convert one-way streets downtown to two-way traffic. The council has rejected it once - refusing to approve spending while it insists, blaming the mayor, that there is no budget in place. It will take up the matter again Nov. 26, but perhaps more as a political negotiation tool with the mayor than a needed windfall for the center city. [FJ11/14/07]

The only thing they got correct is that the first opportunity to act by the new council president and her 7th ward finance chair is 11/26/07. The Flint Journals approach is to salt old wounds.

Thats not responsible community leadership.

Downtown Flint arguably has more going for it now than at any time in recent history: new housing, new streetscapes and facades, new offices under construction for Rowe Inc. and WNEM (Channel 5), and - permit us a leap - an end in sight for the crumbling hulk of Genesee Towers. [FJ11/14/07]

The Williamson administration should be credited for its role in these great initiatives. They , The Flint Journal,missed that.

But people don't like one-way streets, and many will stay away from downtown as long as looks to them like an unfriendly labyrinth. It's been decades since traffic flow required so many one-way routes, and change is due. [FJ11/14/07]

I love one way streets. Two way would be a mess.

Overdue, really. Some say the city can just reapply for the grant next year, but that kind of thinking gets us nowhere. [FJ11/14/07]

Who are the “some” you quote Riha, Dearing or was it Foren, strike that I like Foren,... Heller?

So this is a test for Flint's elected representatives: What matters more, waging an internal power struggle, or improving downtown's prospects for revival? [FJ11/14/07]

It couldn't be easier to say "yes" to money here for the taking. Would it be too obvious to say success will be a two-way street? [FJ11/14/07]

There is no free lunch, there are always strings attached, success for this city is measured by what the citizens want ,not the small journal editorial board.

The new council president Carolyn Sims should be allowed to show her stuff.

Posted here by
Terry Bankert
attorneybankert@yahoo.com

Last edited by terrybankert on Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:

I don't think that the auditors have been engaged yet. Should be interesting since it is due to the State December 31.
Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
last time here

i see your point terry.....just chill and pay attention.....kool.

i'll tell you though, the mayoral race is over, the citizens have elected a mayor for the next 4 years. many will not allow flint to be embarrassed
by councilpeople carrying grudges to OUR detriment. this "kid" crap has
gone on long enough......we shall see!! Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:08 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Why wait until AFTER November 26th, folks. The time is now to contact your respective city council representatives and let them know you want the impasse to remain in the past and move forward NOW to start moving this city forward, including the two-way streets! Don't wait for email to those who don't use it, or snail mail which can arrive too late--call them at home and leave your positive thinking messages.
Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:45 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Good Morning Flint!
11/16/07
by Terry Bankert
First posted to FlintTalk
http://flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=18392#18392

Todays Journal has it right. Linda Thompson is doing a good job and we should all be prepared for the hard decision that school closing are. Get involved.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1195222803173860.xml&coll=5#continue

Contact the Mayor and City Council and encourage them to keep up the
co-operation.
http://www.ci.flint.mi.us/

TRB

Last edited by terrybankert on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Dr. Chow also spoke the truth. Look where that got him. And several years later, here we are still with 35,000 capacity and an ever dwindling enrollment. (15,700 currently...I believe it was about 19,000 when Dr. Chow "left")

I wish her well...buildings definitely need to be shuttered. So far, the board hasn't had the backbone to do that. I've been saying for the last 2 years that the FCS is headed for a state takeover...the most recent financials are yet another wake up call...cut spending or else!
Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:12 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:

My understanding is that the audit for fiscal year ended 6/30/07 has started. I seem to recall some preliminary "draft" numbers being released.

The current year budget would have no effect on an audit of last years financial statements.
Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:14 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

[/quote]

My understanding is that the audit for fiscal year ended 6/30/07 has started. I seem to recall some preliminary "draft" numbers being released.

The current year budget would have no effect on an audit of last years financial statements.[/quote]

Those numbers were released as just that "preliminary." If you remember the letter that the Mayor sent prior to the election, it indicated that an audit had not yet been conducted.

I attend almost all meetings and don't recall them ever passing a reso for an audit.
Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Audits are normally bid out 3 years at a time...I'd be shocked if Plante & Moran hasn't even started field work yet.

I knew the earlier numbers were preliminary. I guess the issue is the source. I thought they came from Plante. If Plante is giving "preliminary" numbers, then the audit is almost complete.
Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:12 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:
Dr. Chow also spoke the truth. Look where that got him. And several years later, here we are still with 35,000 capacity and an ever dwindling enrollment. (15,700 currently...I believe it was about 19,000 when Dr. Chow "left")

I wish her well...buildings definitely need to be shuttered. So far, the board hasn't had the backbone to do that. I've been saying for the last 2 years that the FCS is headed for a state takeover...the most recent financials are yet another wake up call...cut spending or else!

Dr. Chow did speak the truth to Flint and the State Board of Ed. His speech to the financial state of Michigan schools was eloquent, He was sent quickly out of town. As was the State Superintendent of Schools that asked Chow to speak. Correct on 19, 000 enrollment then. please note Chow also left without making the Board pay for the rest of his contract.

The problem lies in closing Elementaries rather than a High School. Closing Elementaries directly affects future enrollment in secondary shools and less cost savings per building. Closing Elementary schools directly effects the communities. Closing a high school saves much more by consolidating specialized classes. Closing a High school is political suicide due to the stength of Alumni.

Dr. Chow fell on his sword to do what was right and cost efficient for the betterment of the Flint school community.

Linda Thompson needs to lay blame on the FCS financial situation squarely where it is Due. On the overspending spree of "dr" Milton.

Dr. Chow was slammed as a bean counter rather than focusing on academics. He said we must have money for basics, while we would love to have all programs, art , music etc. We have to be financially stabile to provide programs.

Milton came in spending money not in the budget. People said sounds great but how can we pay for it???

Thompson needs to set her own road and get out from under past administrations mistakes.

Yet if she says the truth...Central need to be condemned and in the future build a new school. She will follow Dr. Chow in falling on the career sword.

Peace,
RAP

Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:57 pm 
necroped
F L I N T O I D

quote:
terrybankert schreef:

I love one way streets. Two way would be a mess.

I agree. Hope city council stalls this one forever. Anyone who can't figure out that alternate streets go in opposite directions should stay in Montrose.
Post Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:16 pm 
necroped
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:

I attend almost all meetings and don't recall them ever passing a reso for an audit.

If city council doesn't want the books audited that's their problem.
Post Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:43 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
necroped schreef:
If city council doesn't want the books audited that's their problem.
Sec. 3-404 CITY AUDITOR, APPOINTMENT AND TENURE.
The City Council shall appoint such person or persons as shall be necessary to certify an audit of the accounts of the City. Such person or firm shall serve at the pleasure of the Council. The vote to appoint, remove or compensate an Auditor or Auditors, and the vote to have a special audit, shall not be subject to review by the Mayor.

(Adopted by the electorate, 11-5-74)

Sec. 3-405 CONDUCT OF AUDIT.
A. There shall be such annual or other accounting for all monies of the City as required by statute.

B. If there is no such statute, an independent audit be made of all accounts of the City government at the close of each fiscal year, and shall be completed within ninety (90) days thereafter.

C. Special independent audits may be made at any time the City Council designates.

D. Each audit and reports supplemental thereto shall be made public in the manner determined by the City Council and copies of the audit shall be placed in the office of the City Clerk.

E. All City financial records, accounting and audits and other reports shall be public records, available for inspection. A statement of all revenues and expenditures of public monies shall be published and distributed as required by state law.

(Adopted by the electorate, 11-5-74)
Post Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:36 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

State of Michigan requires local units of government with population of 4,000 or more to have an annual audit.

"UNIFORM BUDGETING AND ACCOUNTING ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 2 of 1968

141.425 Local units; audits.

Sec. 5.

(1) A local unit having a population of less than 4,000 shall obtain an audit of its financial records, accounts, and procedures not less frequently than biennially. However, if any audit under this subsection discloses a material deviation by the local unit from generally accepted accounting practices or from applicable rules and regulations of a state department or agency or discloses any fiscal irregularity, defalcation, misfeasance, nonfeasance, or malfeasance, the department of treasury may require an audit to be conducted in the next year.

(2) A local unit having a population of 4,000 or more shall obtain an annual audit of its financial records, accounts, and procedures."

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(d2eagz55xot40zuhqzf15dzz))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-141-425&queryid=20830287&highlight=audit
Post Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:48 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: