FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Genesse Towers Should be Saved.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I don't know if it's the Mayor or who - DDA? - but someone wants it gone.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
I don't know if it's the Mayor or who - DDA? - but someone wants it gone.

Tim Herman has wanted that space for parking for years.

And while I haven't heard any talk of the DDA wanting the Towers torn down, the DDA is in the Mayor's pocket. He is the chair of the DDA and he's got his buddy Larry Ford running it.
Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:05 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Rap, thats soo last year!
We are talking about Genesee Towers now, not Manning Court.
My stance varies per issue that comes up. Could you tell me when this huge 5,500 lbs chucks have fallen??

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
Sorry Ryan.

Your Vote against saving Manning St. cottages to build a parking lot, makes one question your wanting to save a skyline raining down concrete on pedestrians.

Who is paying for your Values?

RAP

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

this might be a stupid question, but isn't half the building a parking ramp? its seems kinda counterproductive to tear down a parking ramp to make a parking lot... inefficient anyway...

i know thats besides the point, but I just thought it was a witty observation... or an observation at the least.
Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:46 pm 
last time here

good point tegan. i have a feeling this may be a situation in which
personalities are in conflict, not to mention mr. kumars past history
with properties.

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:52 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Tegan schreef:
this might be a stupid question, but isn't half the building a parking ramp?
My recollection is that there was a deli service and some office space in the basement, offices on the first floor; parking deck on levels 2-9; offices on 10th-18th floors; University Club and office space on the 19th floor. Ten years ago the parking deck was a major deterioration problem, holes in the floor and between joists, crumbling pillars, etc. Hope that's not what's holding up the 10 floors above it. Laughing Laughing
Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:23 pm 
last time here

the swami predicts mr. kumar will lose this battle.

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:27 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Lets hope people who are in power realize Mr. Kumar is a slum lord, but the building could play a big part in downtown Flint's revitaliztion. I think this my all be a smoke screen ( saying they are going to tear it down) just to get it out of his hands.

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Not quite half, but i calculated about 5 floors are parking..
See another example why this building should be saved, its self sufficent.
The workers could park in the same building that they work!

quote:
Tegan schreef:
this might be a stupid question, but isn't half the building a parking ramp? its seems kinda counterproductive to tear down a parking ramp to make a parking lot... inefficient anyway...

i know thats besides the point, but I just thought it was a witty observation... or an observation at the least.

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:27 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Not quite half, but i calculated about 5 floors are parking..
See another example why this building should be saved, its self sufficent.
The workers could park in the same building that they work!

quote:
Tegan schreef:

As stated earlier, floors 2 through 9 were parking. Not sure how you "calculated" about 5 floors parking.
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:09 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
My recollection is that there was a deli service and some office space in the basement, offices on the first floor; parking deck on levels 2-9; offices on 10th-18th floors; University Club and office space on the 19th floor. Ten years ago the parking deck was a major deterioration problem, holes in the floor and between joists, crumbling pillars, etc. Hope that's not what's holding up the 10 floors above it. Laughing Laughing

I thought the University Club took up the whole top floor??? It seemed like the elevator doors opened up and all there was was the elegant University Club but that was over 15 years ago so I may be wrong. I also didn't notice any problems with the parking ramp but I was shocked immediately when the elevator doors opened for the University club. I definately was not expecting it. It seemed somewhat out of place for the building but a pleasant surprise. It seriously made me want to go to college and join the university club. lol
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:16 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
I thought the University Club took up the whole top floor??? It seemed like the elevator doors opened up and all there was was the elegant University Club but that was over 15 years ago so I may be wrong.
Adam, that's all you were meant to see. Smile

As you get off the elevator, to the immediate left and down a short hall (south) was the office. The floor to ceiling windows of the U Club face generally north and east. The 1985 Flint City Directory (Polk) shows:

1900 University Club of Flint
1915 Vacant
1919 University Club of Flint (Business Ofc)
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:06 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:

As stated earlier, floors 2 through 9 were parking. Not sure how you "calculated" about 5 floors parking.

I was trying to be Conservative!

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:57 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: