FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Genesee Towers structual issues
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Richard
F L I N T O I D

According the latest news report the Genesee Towers building is unsafe and needs to be torn down.

Richard
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=5750426
Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:56 am 
shintz62
F L I N T O I D

I am 68. When I saw these wonderful new Flint building being built, never did it occur to me that they would become dilapidated in my lifetime. Flint used to be full of life and promise. Now, like me, it's old and no longer works.
Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:16 pm 
last time here

yes, flint is going through a change. i too remember how it
was a bustling metropolis in the 50s and 60s. alas, all things
change and change is good!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Very Happy Very Happy

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:35 pm 
shintz62
F L I N T O I D

I'm not sure all change is good. Seems like a lot of change in Flint is bad.
Especially, since GM decided to leave its birthplace.
Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:42 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I remember taking the bus to downtown Flint to enjoy the Sears building on the point, Kresge's for lunch at the counter, and Smith-Bridgemans where you could find a heck of a deal in the basement bargin section. And Montgomery-Wards was a nice place too. My girlfriend used to work as a waitess one street over from Saginaw at a nice little lunch diner.
Those days are gone never to return I'm afraid. We can always look back but still stay focused on where you are going.
I still visit Halo Burger in downtown Flint everytime I'm in town. Getting kind of scary but I still have to go. Same with Angelo's on Davison Road. There is no other place like theirs for Coney Islands.
Cool
Richard
Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:46 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

"The panels on this structure weigh approximately 5,500 pounds each. If they were to fall, there would be severe damage as a result of them falling," she said."

Have any of these fallen?

Although obviously the exterior is failing I wonder how the interior support is???

Personally I would use this building. The only way that could happen is the way people get around the laws against fresh milk.

I have actually easten at the University club in the top floor of the Genesee tours. It was my favorite place to eat even though I have only eaten there once before it closed.

To date the University Club restaurant is still my favorite thing in Flint. I think we need to get it opened back up even if we have to use the "fresh milk" loophole.

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:57 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

It looks to me as if the City of Flint has wanted this building for quite some time but the owner has refused to give it up. What better way for a city to take control of something than to condemn the building forcing the owner to give it up.
Not sure if that is the case but......

Richard
Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:02 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:
It looks to me as if the City of Flint has wanted this building for quite some time but the owner has refused to give it up. What better way for a city to take control of something than to condemn the building forcing the owner to give it up.
Not sure if that is the case but......

Richard

City's engineers claim it's unsafe; owner's engineers claim there's no problem. Sounds like it's back to Court.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

it's a dump. he's a slumlord.
that owner has quite a few dilapidated buildings in flint.
he's supposedly rich and i think i see how he got that way.

i remember "playland". i used to get firecrackers and magic tricks
there, then go across the street and have some of boris' chili...

i asked him for the recipe years later..he never gave it up!!!!!!!

re: angelos...please tell them the original owner steamed his hot dog
buns!!!!! i really dislike buns that taste like dried pulverized driftwood!!!
Mad Mad Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Mad Mad Mad

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:17 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Remember the sand paintings below the bridge,Reese Jones bar, ( an old guy I worked with used to say "people come from near and far to have a drink at Reese Jones bar") Laughing Laughing and of course the poor old washed up worn out strippers at the college inn (lost my draft card there showing id to get in) course had to get a new one pronto. Laughing Yankee store that sold Army surplus on Detroit st, had some cool stuff in there, always wanted to get a non functioning training rifle but only wound up with a gas mask and a mess kit and canteen. Hows that for going back. Laughing
Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:30 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Flint Army Surplus, the forerunner of Yankee Stores. Two bridges over Saginaw Street; one for cars, one for trains. The smell of roasted peanuts at Schippiccasses. The College Inn; really wild for it's day, tamer than tame today.
Kresge's, A, M. Davidsons, Buckinghams, Flagg Brothers shoes, Allsports, Mullins Sporting Goods, Hubbards Hardware. How about the old City Hall, where the McRee Building is now.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Crawford Zimmermans,Tremaine and Scott, Smith Bridgemans, Roberts clothiers,Buster Brown shoes, Pennys, Iys, lots of others on the side street. You drive a Ford heres a little something for ya. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:03 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
that owner has quite a few dilapidated buildings in flint.
he's supposedly rich and i think i see how he got that way.

If owning dilapidated buildings makes one rich a lot of Flintites are rich indeed. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:14 am 
last time here

no no. he buys large dilapidated buildings cheap, never renovates and
waits for people to get so tired of looking at them they buy them.

i'm sure he never envisioned the mayor's move to condemn the dump.

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:35 am 
willy
F L I N T O I D

If I remember correctly, The owner of Genesee Towers Was Repairing The Building And The CITY of Flint INSPECTORS stopped Him..

He was Repairing the parking Structure.
And Then there was a court order that Said He could not ENTER the building... How Can u fix it without Entering it .

i THINK THIS ALL BOILS DOWN TO THE USE OF union contractors
Embarassed Twisted Evil Idea Arrow
Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:03 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: