FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Well its starting already
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Ever notice its only the Dems who seem to have problems voting? Rolling Eyes Laughing Carr denies Dems' claims of voter ID law violations
HOMETOWN HEADLINES GENESEE COUNTYTHE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITIONThursday, November 08, 2007By Marjory Raymermraymer@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6325
GENESEE COUNTY - The state Democratic Party highlighted Genesee County as one of four counties where voters reported election officials did not properly enforce the new voter identification requirement.

Spokesman Jason Moon did not have details on Monday about where the complaints originated, but he said voters were either told they could not vote unless they had ID or were not properly offered an affidavit in lieu of identification.

"I have not heard a thing about it," County Clerk Michael J. Carr said. "If there is something that has happened in Genesee County, it could not have been major."

Carr said he specifically followed up with local clerks after the election to ask about problems or complaints, and none had any incidents to report.

The state Democrats also said problems were reported in Wayne, Oakland and Ingham counties.

- Marjory Raymer

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:53 pm 
bigkfly
F L I N T O I D

Well, why can't they just enforce the laws correctly? It's not a hard law to interpret. Voters should not be disenfranchised because poll workers are not given adequate instructions, are too stupid to understand them, or arbitrarily refuse people the right to vote for one reason or another.
Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:58 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Ya that voting can be a tough mind boggling experience alright. Ya walk in show proof of who you are take your ballot make your choice and leave. If your too dumb to figure that out maybe you should not be voting. Laughing Laughing Laughing And like I said why is it always the Dems having the problem voting? Confused
Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:05 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If there was a problem, why didn't it get reported to the County Clerk on election day? If I had been told that, I'd be at the Clerk's office in a heartbeat, demanding my right to vote. No way would I wait until after the election, then whine about it. It's just the Dum's usual whining because they lost.

What's next, hanging chads?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
What's next, hanging chads?

Dont give em any ideas. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:13 pm 
bigkfly
F L I N T O I D

I don't anything about these allegations. In fact, I've heard from several friends who voted that the process was fine. But laws are laws. If there are allegations they should be handled appropriately.

As for the id requirement, some people don't have licenses. Regardless the reason for not having a license, every citizen has a right to vote protected by the Constitution. This should not be a Democrat-Republican issue, yet Bushites do not seem to respect the rights protected by that document. Also, in the past you were allowed to vote without one. This is a new law. Therefore, voters were not just stupid for leaving their ids behind.

Finally, there is a process for those who do not have licenses with them at the polling location. If the allegations are true, then that process was not followed for one reason or another. This could result from a lack of training, incompetence, stupidity, corruption, or merely apathy. None of these justify disenfranchising voters in one of America's most important institutions. I thought Republicans were all about supporting America? What gives?

Remember, we don't know those people would've voted for Walling or Williamson so this is not just whining over the results. We should all be concerned about our right to vote. Legitimate voting makes this country different than Iran, North Korea, China, and I would go so far as to say Russia.
Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:26 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Bushites do not seem to respect the rights protected by that document.

Where did you come up with that theory. and what is a Bushite?
Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:33 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
bigkfly schreef:
I don't anything about these allegations. In fact, I've heard from several friends who voted that the process was fine. But laws are laws. If there are allegations they should be handled appropriately.

As for the id requirement, some people don't have licenses. Regardless the reason for not having a license, every citizen has a right to vote protected by the Constitution. This should not be a Democrat-Republican issue, yet Bushites do not seem to respect the rights protected by that document. Also, in the past you were allowed to vote without one. This is a new law. Therefore, voters were not just stupid for leaving their ids behind.

The procedures were clearly explained in the media. No photo ID, just fill out & sign the affidavit on the back of the ballot request form. Did those that claimed to have problems complain to the County Clerk, or the Democratic Party Headquarters? Or, did this prevent your friendly illegal aliens from voting???

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
bigkfly
F L I N T O I D

Twotap:

A Bushite is a neoconservative who supports Bush. They differ dramatically from old-school Republicans who are closer to libertarians.

Bushites disenfranchised voters in Florida during the 2000 presidential election, which violates the Constitution. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/onpolitics/transcripts/ccrdraft060401.htm

According to Bush, if you disagree with American foreign policy, the government has a right to deprive you of your property without due process. http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/07/20070717-3.html

According to Cheney, the VP is not part of the Executive Branch. http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/2007/06/cheney_claims_hes_not_part_of_executive_branch/

According to Bush, the government should be able to listen to your phone calls.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/16/AR2005121600021.html

According to conservatives, gays should not be allowed to marry (this is a violation of the 14th amendment which states, "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."). The list goes on and on and on and on and on . . . . . . . . ..

Dave Starr:
Not everyone might have seen the election coverage to know the changes enacted. These people still have a right to vote. It is the duty of the clerk and the polling staff to protect voters' rights by following procedure.

I don't know if they complained or not, but typically if there are problems, the Party has poll workers who recognize the problems and complain to the clerk. Many individuals don't have time to file the paper work to complain. Again, I only heard good things, however, if there were complaints were should take them seriously and not blame it on whining.

Wow, you hop from issue to issue even when there is no connection. Bush supports amnesty. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,109026,00.html

Maybe the two of you should reconsider your party affiliation. It must be lonely being a Republican living near Flint. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:32 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Or, did this prevent your friendly illegal aliens from voting???

Actually, the new law would not prevent an illegal alien from voting if they were wrongly registered to vote or if they were lying and saying they were someone that they weren't. Really this new law is meaningless. If you don't have your id you sign the affadavit....and you vote...You don't really need to have ID.... so how does this new law change any voter fraud that may have been taking place before?
Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Maybe the two of you should reconsider your party affiliation. It must be lonely being a Republican living near Flint. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Excellent point and one that clearly shows why flint and genesee county are in such dire straits. Total lack of republican input and control for the past 40 years or so. You guys have been running this charade for all that time and believe it or not you still are cause old Williamson is about as a conservative Republican as I am a lib whining dem. Actually though I myself now live a couple hours north from your little bastion of liberalism and the only ones who are lonely up here are those affiliated with your party. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:46 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Actually, the new law would not prevent an illegal alien from voting if they were wrongly registered to vote or if they were lying and saying they were someone that they weren't. Really this new law is meaningless. If you don't have your id you sign the affadavit....and you vote...You don't really need to have ID.... so how does this new law change any voter fraud that may have been taking place before?

Sounds like its time to do away with that ridiculous affadavit. And of course points out why the Dems are pushing the drivers license for illegals idea. Hell even old hillary after consulting with her team decided it was a good idea. Hope that comes back to bite her in her fat ass.
Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:49 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

The problem is that Election workers are not properly trained.

I forgot my ID to test the workers at my precinct. You'd have thought the lady might have read the many articles in regards to the affidavit.

She told me I had to have some kind of ID and started to read a printout. I suggested that there should be an affidavit I could sign. She called over the Election official who then showed her the affidavit on the back of the Name/address form I had filled out. Then she looked up my name and address and found I was a registered voter at that precinct.

On the affidavit there was also a note of Large fine if you lie about not having ID on your person.

Obviously she was not trained in proceedure!!

Frankly, I believe the ID law amounts to a poll tax.
Many local Sec. of State offices have closed. Those remaining have long waiting lines. Many that don't drive have to ride two buses to reach a Sec. of State Office.
Parking is impossible to find for free at the downtown Flint Post office.
Cost for parking.
Cost for ID.

Say your wallet was lost or stolen...you have to have three pieces of identification to get a new ID. Hmm..they were also in the wallet. Social Security office takes how long to send you a new card? after you wait in that long line. new Birth certificate? How long?

Voter apathy is at an all time high. Say there were 1800 registered voters in a precinct perhaps 600 showed up to vote. (that is actually a fair turnout these days)
Funny wonder how many of those voted for "dancing with the stars" or Amercan Idol. Chuckle

Those that voted absentee were not required to show ID. Would think that Most "dead Voters" have used this method in the past? Absentee ballots have been under scrutiny in the past because of those that almost make it a business to prey on the homebound and illicet votes for their candidate.

Peace,
RAP

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:04 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Good point Josh,
The truth is there is NO Proof that any Voter Fraud was taking place.
This law does nothing to address any possible Voter fraud. It does though cause voter disenfranchisement to low income voters.

Peace,
RAP

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Or, did this prevent your friendly illegal aliens from voting???

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:27 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
Good point Josh,
The truth is there is NO Proof that any Voter Fraud was taking place.
This law does nothing to address any possible Voter fraud. It does though cause voter disenfranchisement to low income voters.

Peace,
RAP

It doesn't disenfranchise anyone! If you don't have a photo ID, just fill out & sign the affidavit on the back of the ballot request form. What is so difficult about that?

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:55 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: