FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: To all those that "love Flint", but don;t live her
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If you really care about Flint, why did you leave? Why not stay here & work to make this a better place to live & work?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

Im assuming that this question is directed at me. Not that it hasnt been posed to me several times and I wont get in to details for the upteenth time on these sites. Ive explained my small part as far as what I did to help Flint before I left.
Ive been gone for twenty years now and still the single best decision Ive ever made in my life.
People are born and raised in Flint. Its peoples choice to get "stuck in Flint"
I chose to leave for personal and professional reasons.
Trust me...the grass really is greener on the other side.

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:58 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Not aimed at anyone in particular. I'm just curious. I guess I'm just old fashioned. I don't see Flint as a place to live & work, I see it as my HOME.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

From what I have observed most folks who have the opportunity to leave do. As for myself I lived with my parents on the corner of Wood and Detroit st. They moved out of there to a suburb of Flint but I after getting married bought a new home for some unknown reason that I cant recall just on the edge of Flint near Branch road. Shortly there after LBJs Great Society kicked in, that was where folks who didnt have the means or ability to own a new home could do so with the Gov picking up most of the tab. Well we all know how well the 235 and public housing fiasco worked out and what it did to property values to those of us who were actually working buying and paying for our homes out of our own pocket. After staying too long and watching the value of my 2 story colonial sink deeper and deeper we finally took our losses and bailed. Back to the suburbs from which I should never have strayed, stayed there until retireing and headed for the north woods far away from the urban nightmare Flint has deteriorated to. Your experience may differ. Laughing Oh ya I have two sons who live and work on the outskirts of that once as Granholm says 'Cool City" and that is the only reason I take any interest in what transpires there other than the fact I remember what it was like.
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:54 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

As someone who loves Flint but has never lived there, I have a few reasons why i don't live in flint...

the number one reason, and this may be the big question for a lot of people...

why should I?

most of the incentives offered to those living in Flint are directed toward the unemployed or business owners.

I have more of a desire to live in the city than my husband does, but I would never rent in Flint, since I haven't seen any GOOD cheap apartments equal to that I'm living in in Grand Blanc, and we refuse to buy ANY home until I can finish my master's degree and secure a decent job in my field.

Based on the current atmosphere in Flint, I doubt I'll be able to do that, but you never know.

Also, I don't have much faith in Flint public schools. And for those of you who say to send my kids to private school, why should I pay for a good school when I can live in one of the nearby suburbs with an excellent school system, low drop out rate, few reports of crime or violence, etc etc?

Trust me. I want to live in Flint. I've even picked out a few houses. But just my blind optimism and romantic ideas of city living won't cut it. :)
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:04 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

I grew up in Flint (Belle/Iowa area). As it got more violent (I'm talking way back in 1974), opportunity knocked and my parents moved us to the suburbs.

I bought a home in Flint when I got married (Saginaw/Hemphill area) and, to be honest, I couldn't stand the neighbors. Most were tenants who let the kids run amok and the landlords didn't care if the tenants tore up the houses.

I too remember what Flint used to be (and won't be again, at least not in my lifetime), but want Flint to do better because it affects the entire county.
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:12 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I must be the exception. I grew up on West Dartmouth, lived there, except for 4 years in the military, until I got married in 65. Rented a house in the Fenton Rd - Atherton area for 3 years, then bought this house in the Haskell - Civic Park area. Right now, we've got the best neighbors we've ever had. We all care about each other and work together to keep the block looking nice. We also look out for one another. If someone will be gone for a while, the other neighbors keep an eye on their house & call 911 if we see anything that shouldn't be going on. We have signs in our windows: WE SEE, WE HEAR, WE CALL. And we mean it.

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:40 pm 
kaypurdue

I wanted to live in Flint, but the hubby wouldn't allow it. Rolling Eyes

In all seriousness, though - we didn't want to commit to buying a house anywhere, including Flint, after we found out what was going on with my job (I work at VW/Audi corporate headquarters, which is moving to VA next year and not taking me with them). That way we can be one less statistic by not contributing to the astounding foreclosure rates around here. But when we were house hunting, we looked mostly in the Mott Park area. I liked it there.

Someday I will though - I became quite charmed by the city when I started going to UM-Flint in 2001 (taking every route to class I could find except the freeway, which was under construction at the time), spending my weekends downtown rocking out at Metropolis, Flint Local, etc. I'm one of those strange folks that sees opportunity within big empty spaces, I guess.

Oh yeah - and once I become a Flint resident, I can run for mayor!! Very Happy
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:12 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

[/quote]Right now, we've got the best neighbors we've ever had. We all care about each other and work together to keep the block looking nice. We also look out for one another. If someone will be gone for a while, the other neighbors keep an eye on their house & call 911 if we see anything that shouldn't be going on. We have signs in our windows: WE SEE, WE HEAR, WE CALL. And we mean it.

Having good neighbors makes all the difference in the world. Thats the way its supposed to be. If the whole area of Flint was like that we would not be having this discussion. Of course you know that aint the way it is.
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:50 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

kaypurdue, it sounds like you are in the same boat I am! darn those husbands!
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:15 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Tegan schreef:
I have a few reasons why i don't live in flint...the number one reason, and this may be the big question for a lot of people...why should I? * * * Trust me. I want to live in Flint. Smile
The answer is simple--you wrote it! Wink
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:02 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

a ha, touche!

Yes, I Tegan want to live in Flint, but I that am half of a union with my husband does not have a majority vote. Alas.

But I sure am promoting it like hell at school!
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:13 pm 
last time here

born at womans hospital.
lived on clifford @ 12th. behind the old bus station.
went to clark elementary
have always lived here.
have great neighbors.
ain't skeered!
have traveled everywhere i ever wanted to go.
may yet move out of america but until then,
my home is FLINT!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:47 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Wasn't Women's Hospital on 5th Avenue, possibly in the federation of the blind area? I can remember signs on Ballenger, just North of Beecher Rd: "Site of New Flint Women's Hospital". I think the name was changed to McLaren before it opened.

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:58 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Wasn't Women's Hospital on 5th Avenue, possibly in the federation of the blind area? I can remember signs on Ballenger, just North of Beecher Rd: "Site of New Flint Women's Hospital". I think the name was changed to McLaren before it opened.

I think that was the old FOH. My grandmother used to work there as a nurse.
Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: