FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: To all those that "love Flint", but don;t live her
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Deena
F L I N T O I D

Click on the link to Whittier. It is now a school designed for high achieving students. These kids work hard and are excellent students. Every one of them.
Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:10 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Click on the link to Whittier. It is now a school designed for high achieving students. These kids work hard and are excellent students. Every one of them.

Deena you dont mean they were allowed to choose just from the cream of the crop so to say? A certain criteria has to be meant. A way to eliminate rowdy and less intelligent students. That dosent seem fair. Would it not make for a more "diverse" aptmosphere to have a few gangbangers and drugged up slackers around to balance the equation. Oh wait I forgot exclusionary programs are OK if they meet a criteria set up by the Progressives.Laughing Laughing Laughing Why is it than then you think its perfectly OK for large corporations like GM to be forced into promoting less than qualified people based on some feel good Gov mandate but you have the right to exclude those not meeting your standards for your little 'taxpayer funded" school. Hopefully the fed Government or the disgruntled mom of some excluded banger does not get wind of this. Off to court we go Laughing Laughing
Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:52 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Deena schreef:

What about the rest of the school kids in Flint? Anyone doing anything for them, or are they being written off?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

in spite of what you guys hear, the flint schools have done a great
job with students. are there parents who are not doing their jobs? yup.

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:59 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Hey LT I see you think your pretty hotstuff. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:12 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

It just sounds like a large gifted program to me... maybe they needed that much space.

There are plenty of services available to low achievers, learning disabled, etc. Why should fast learners be held back?

The goal of education is for every child to learn to the best of his/her abilities. That requires different pacing for different groups, no?

Public school education is not like a job, so I'm not sure what the beef is here.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:16 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
It just sounds like a large gifted program to me

It sounds a lot like what a private school would offer except it has the added benefit of being taxpayer funded. Pretty sweet deal. Very Happy
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:26 am 
last time here

2tap, i have to do that in the winter to keep my tan!! Cool Laughing Laughing Cool

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:42 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Demeralda schreef:
It just sounds like a large gifted program to me... maybe they needed that much space.

There are plenty of services available to low achievers, learning disabled, etc. Why should fast learners be held back?

The goal of education is for every child to learn to the best of his/her abilities. That requires different pacing for different groups, no?

Public school education is not like a job, so I'm not sure what the beef is here.

It isn't a gifted program. It isn't about potential as a good gifted program is, it's about achievement. I have strong opinions about good grades and good test scores. Kids who get them earn them, they aren't the result of some positive gene pool. I also dont believe it's tough to get them. They are attainable by almost any normal kid who goes to school everyday, pays attention to the teacher, does the assignments, and behaves. It's not a mystery.

Whittier doesn't need the amount of space it has been alloted and that space is expensive to maintain. By the same token, you can't take a group of middle/high schoolers and place them in a smaller elementary building because they need different facilities. What's more, this school needs proximity to the amenities of the cultural center. I also believe it needs better athletic facilites.

This is a wonderful school. It has the potential of attracting students from throughout the county---and Flint schools have done that before (take a look at the Central theater magnet of the 90's). In order to do that---and increase the amount of state funding accordingly---a new building would be a Godsend. As I said before though, I'd far prefer to forgo the new building if it would mean diluting the program's admission requirements.

I have a daughter who gets up in the morning eager to go to school. That says a lot about the quality of her education.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:44 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:

quote:
It just sounds like a large gifted program to me

It sounds a lot like what a private school would offer except it has the added benefit of being taxpayer funded. Pretty sweet deal. Very Happy

You should hope that all public schools can enjoy resources, etc., that private schools do. Instead you seem to be saying those students don't deserve it because it's a public school. Seems like rather a negative attitude to me.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:00 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Sounds to me like he's saying that ALL the kids in Flint should have a program like that.

Public Vs. Private.................
Public schools should have far better facilities and resources than private schools. BUT - how much of public school funding goes to the bureaucracy (administrators), teacher salaries and benefits compared to private schools? The teachers unions have become too strong. Bad teachers can't be dismissed, tenure, salary based on tenure and not qualifications, no merit pay, refusal to allow any health care other than MESSA, which is an arm of the teachers union, etc.

The standard answer to school problems is: "Give us more money". I say prove to me you are operating as efficiently as possible, that we're getting the most bang possible for the buck. Prove to me that good teachers are rewarded and poor ones are gone. Then, ask me for more money.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Negative? Not at all but when I mentioned on this forum the popularity of private schools nowdays I was told that they lack diversity and may actually indoctrinate the student instead of educate. Wll tell me where the "Diversity" so cherished by some would be at a school where all the students are from some sort of elitist club based on their academic acheivements. I couldnt care less how Whittier decides to run itself but to say that those who may choose a private school or even decide to Homeschool Shocked are not providing a solid education while claiming their "select students only" school is the answer to all education problems is ridiculous. Very Happy
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:23 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

You're turning her points to hyperbole to score. She never put down private schools or homeschooling specifically, nor the quality of the education received there. She said that she was seeking DIVERSITY.

ACHIEVEMENT based education, well that's the basis of most higher education. And it does cut across racial/class/social lines (and not 100% perfectly, but enough). And based on my experiences, I would posit that, for most of us, the most diverse environment we'll ever enjoy is at college.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:33 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

"Less of an education more of an indoctrination" seems to ring a bell when I think back to her post about private and homeschooling. Confused
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:39 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Find me where, because I don't see that.
Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:03 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: