FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: To all those that "love Flint", but don;t live her
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Deena
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
I thought we were talking Public schools? Confused This sounds an awful lot like a private or charter school.

Once again, you are writing about what you don't know. Whittier Classical Academy is a Flint Public School.

http://www.flintschools.org/schools/schools005.htm
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:53 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well I beginning to see the light so to speak. Their is a bunch of dollars being supplied to Flint schools so I suppose one could expect to receive a better education. Ya gotta wonder though for such a depressed area how they manage to rank where they do on spending. Funnel those tax dollars Granny. Rolling Eyes http://www.homesurfer.com/schoolreports/view/schoolreports.cfm?LEAID=2614520
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:04 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Well I beginning to see the light so to speak. Their is a bunch of dollars being supplied to Flint schools so I suppose one could expect to receive a better education. Ya gotta wonder though for such a depressed area how they manage to rank where they do on spending. Funnel those tax dollars Granny. Rolling Eyes http://www.homesurfer.com/schoolreports/view/schoolreports.cfm?LEAID=2614520

That's certainly the answer. When your "facts" have been proven to be false, simply change the subject!

As far as spending, I will note that Flint spending is below the state average-- and that still that has nothing to do with the success of students at the school we were discussing. Did you change your mind about discussing your (false) perception of that school?
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:10 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Actually it appears I was wrong about your school of choice it sounds like a great place to get an education. like I said ya learn something new everyday. Of course when you constantly read misleading articles about Flint schools you sort of form a biased opinion.[img]
The Achievement Gap: Comparing Ann Arbor and Flint Public Schools

In FCS the students amass 20,028 K-12 students and there is about an 8% dropout rate. The FCS is trying to decrease dropout rates; they, actually, have lowered the dropout rate in the past few years. It used to be around 10%. The FCS has four Student Facilitators to help and work with dropouts and potential dropouts.
FCS also has had difficulty in tracking attendance in supplementary services. The bottom line is that Flint Schools have more irregular student attendance and have much higher dropout rates. This is caused by many factors. First, Flint Administrators have stated in their reports that they have a highly mobile student population. This means that many students have come and have stayed in the district for only a short period. This affects testing because students need to adapt to a different environment and different sets of resources. “Mobile students” also suggests that students’ families are often changing jobs, moving out of neighborhoods that are unsafe, and leaving the district altogether. Second, the quality of instruction, in some cases, is not sufficient and this hurts the districts’ retention efforts. School retention has increased. This may be attributed to the termination of unqualified teachers which, in turn, has been caused by declining enrollment in FCS. Thus, Flint has been able to lay off teachers who do not match State qualifications. This can also be seen as a negative. Declining enrollment means that schools are leaving the district because of its lack of resources, its poverty, and the restructuring that FCS has to do, because of lack of Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP).

In all, 7 schools are restructuring because of 5 years of failure in making AYP. The schools that are not restructuring have made AYP inconsistently; this means there are still huge improvements to be made. Students in the restructuring schools are offered choice on which schools to attend but students, because of poverty and neighborhood ties often do not leave their school—unless they have the resources to leave the FCS altogether; however, this is rare in the economically disadvantaged group (70% of students in the FCS).

The AAPS do not have these problems to the scale of the FCS. The AAPS has a 1.2% Dropout rate, for a school district that contains over 17,156 students. Only, 18% of the student population is economically disadvantaged. This contributes to Ann Arbor having a more stable community. They are losing far fewer students and are actually gaining students. Enrollment has steadily increased because of the increase in population, of more than 10,000, in the last 15 years. Flint has dropped in population, almost 15,000 people in the last 15 years (www.prb.org). Stability and results are proving that Ann Arbor is achieving at high rates. As shown in the MEAP-score breakdown section of this website, the economically disadvantaged, along with minority groups, are speedily closing the achievement gap. Whereas, in Flint , achievement drops for all students from elementary school to high school and gaps remain about equal, and in some cases widen.

[/img]
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:20 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

It takes a big person to admit when they have made a mistake. I honor that. Thank you.

The misperceptions about Flint Schools are huge. They have made so many huge mistakes that they are an easy target for naysayers. That doesn't mean they do nothing right. This school is one of the things they have done right. It's a wonderful environment in which to learn.

Ann Arbor is a dream educational system. I believe, however, that the biggest difference is the educational background of their students. Few students come from homes where education is not valued. The best Head Start program in the world cannot substitute for parents who read to children, expect a high academic performance, and (damn, no one should even have to SAY this) get their children to school on time everyday, fed, well-rested, and ready to learn. Neither I nor the Flint Public Schools can correct the problems that come from home.

It irks the crap out of me when people paint Flint schools with a single paintbrush. This is a large diverse community. There is much good here---as well as much that isn't.
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:32 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Sometimes even I am wrong. By the way it sounds like you are great caring parents like my wife and I were and are. Congrads on your daughters success I wish her much more. Very Happy Confused
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:36 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

Thank you. Now please keep your fingers crossed that this school doesn't get lost in the shuffle of shuttered buildings. Somehow bureaucracies have a way of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Wink
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:47 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Im sure we will meet again. Laughing Laughing
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:15 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

"Stirring the pot?" Great pic!
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:19 am 
last time here

bowing to queen deena!!!!!!!!! Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
my 15 year old son also gets a fine education at southwestern!!

by the way deena, it's customary to let 2tap know he has earned
a DOZEN KRISPY KREMES!! Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:33 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I thought LT would like seeing Twotap getting his ass whipped and by a lady to boot, hes been trying but still no kewpie doll for LT. Laughing Laughing Laughing Some of them ladies can be tough. Shocked
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:57 pm 
last time here

oh come on 2tap..good always wins over evil!! Laughing Laughing

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:00 pm 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

I got lost in the Krispy Kremes Very Happy, simply know they are have waaaay too many calories for me!

As for SWA, their valedictorians the past two years---Laura and Catherine Leix, are among the nicest girls I have had the pleasure of knowing. Those two are going good places..
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:55 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Those two are going good places..

As are most valedictorians, congrads to all who have acheived such stature. Very Happy
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:00 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I see that Whittier has REALLY gone up in its scores from last year. What do you think has changed?

Cool site, by the way. Thanks for sharing it.
Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:04 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: