FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Don Williamson or James Stockdale??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

I wasnt sure if that was Williamson or Admiral Stockdale up on stage last night. Don looked so uncomfortable, I thought he needed to take a shit or something!
Walling did all us Central grads proud! I think Dayne will loose simply because Flint doesnt have a clue when it comes to electing leaders...come on, look at the record people! ITS TRUE!
Dont bash me.....just look at history!
TRUTH...YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Just thought I would break out that reality stick once again before the election.
Hope I eat my words next Tuesday night. I want so bad to be wrong this time!
RED SOX...WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:53 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
I wasnt sure if that was Williamson or Admiral Stockdale up on stage last night. Don looked so uncomfortable, I thought he needed to take a shit or something!
Walling did all us Central grads proud! I think Dayne will loose simply because Flint doesnt have a clue when it comes to electing leaders...come on, look at the record people! ITS TRUE!
Dont bash me.....just look at history!
TRUTH...YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Just thought I would break out that reality stick once again before the election.
Hope I eat my words next Tuesday night. I want so bad to be wrong this time!
RED SOX...WORLD CHAMPIONS!

The truth is that the Democratic party establishment has been in charge forever, and has run Flint into the hole it's in now. The professional politicians talk forever and say nothing. They espouse grandiose "plans" without any real substance or details that are never implemented. See that curtain Dane's standing in front of? Look behind it at who's there pulling the strings.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I actually thought Williamson gave a pretty good performance considering what I was expecting. I thought he seemed fairly coherent. I was a little disappointed Walling didn't hit on some points and bury him. I thought the debate was a lot closer than I anticipated and I am a Walling supporter but I think we need a mayor that has full comminication and people skills and not just when it comes to a prepared debate.

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:48 pm 
bigkfly
F L I N T O I D

Flint is at an economic crossroads. Unfortunately, Williamson has not measured up. He promised 7,000 jobs, where are they? Flint was able to crawl out of the budget deficit, but the man responsible for that was Ed Kurtz. He was the City Manger appointed by Michigan who was able to balance our budget, leaving the city with a surplus. Williamson made his life excruciating just like he makes all citizens who try to give back to Flint. Power-hungry Williamson wrestled with Kurtz for control of Flint and tried to oppose Kurtz at every turn. The Don made recovering from the budget deficit a nightmare.

Plus, the costs of litigation the Don is personally responsible for is climbing. Most of those figures have not even taken attorney fees into consideration. When you add the grant money the Don refused from the Federal government, the amount of wasted tax dollars is well over $15 million. Then you have to consider the thousands of tax-payer dollars the Mayor has spent for private parties, which is one of the most overt forms of modern day patronage I have ever seen. He doesn't sound like a fiscal budget hawk to me. If he ran his car lots like the city of Flint, he would be bankrupt.

The Don has cut police and is responsible for doubling Flint’s crime rate. I agree that opening the jail is a good plan. But just like all of Williamson’s plans, it comes at a price that the Don has not been open about. The reality is that the jail would require the employment of about 30 guards, upkeep on the facilities, and money to support the jail’s population. These costs could rise past $1 million per year assuming the guards are paid $30,000 a year. The fate of the jail depends upon the Mayor funding the facility and its staff from the Flint Auto Auctions and junkyards, but it is hard to believe that the auto auctions will be able to support the jails permanently considering they make on average about $500,000 a year.

As for urban blight, you can thank the Genesee County Land Bank and non-profit CDC’s, both of which the Mayor has constantly berated. The Don has publicly labeled non-profit organizations as outside interference even when they contributed millions to Flint’s redevelopment (Uptown Development Corporation). Then the Don refused to accept HUD funds. Wow. Again, the Don stands in the way of progress. If it’s not his solution, it is not a solution.

At a time when the boat is heading toward an iceberg, we cannot afford a Captain who likes to play Chicken. Just because we know who Williamson is, does not make him the better choice. Fool me once, shame on you, but fool me twice, shame on me.
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:09 pm 
yaryrret
F L I N T O I D

Williamson easy pick for mayor

FLINT JOURNAL LETTER TO THE EDITOR
http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-10/1193316626211440.xml&coll=5#continue

THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITIONThursday, October 25, 2007
By Mary CollickJournal Reader

Mayor Don Williamson's critics and opponent keep saying the city faces a deficit problem. The independent accounting firm hired by the City Council has confirmed that Flint has a surplus of $5.9 million, and that takes into account the multiple union contracts that the mayor has resolved. Obviously, the opponent and the critics are misrepresenting the truth for political reasons.

At a time when the state of Michigan and some of its larger cities are in a negative position, Flint is not, and that's a tribute to the mayor's economic policies and leadership.

Crime has been reduced, more police are on the road, the city jail is open and self-funded with revenues from the impound lot. Many abandoned houses have been torn down, block clubs have been as active as ever and different factions of our community have come together to work together.
Williamson has been a big part of that. That's why we see our universities expanding, new buildings downtown and new housing between downtown and Kettering University. More roads have been paved than I have ever seen in more than 25 years. He has brought plans for a large distribution center on the abandoned Buick City site, a site that no one else had a clue how to develop. For once, people have hope in this city.

That is action in my book, and not just talk.

It wasn't very long ago that our city was in state receivership. Under Williamson , our city turned from being in the negative to having, and more importantly maintaining, a surplus.

Williamson has accomplished that and much more, and that is why the AFSCME locals 1600 and 1799, the firefighters union, wise and respected ministers, minority firefighters, the Flint Society of Afro American Police, block clubs, Women on the Move, Greater Flint AFL-CIO, the carpenters union, national UAW leader Cal Rapson, several council members, and many other organizations and people support Williamson.

The diversity of his support shows that people understand he is the best person for the job. For once, we have a mayor whose heart wants to better our community, and not one who wants to take from this city. I have worked in downtown Flint (but not for the city) for two years, and I see the difference.

Williamson is the right choice for mayor.

Mary Collick
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:50 pm 
bigkfly
F L I N T O I D

Dear Mary Collick,

The only misrepresentations in this election have been perpetrated by Williamson and his cronies.

They ask you to suspend belief and agree that crime is down during Williamson’s administration. The FBI disagrees. Who do you believe?

They tell you there are more police on the streets, yet, Williamson cut the police force, refuses to hire new officers, and even refuses to hire a police chief. These facts are public knowledge. Read the Flint Journal.

Then they want you to believe that the jail can be subsidized through a $500,000 a year impound lot even when the jail costs about $1 million per year at $30,000 per guard. That's not even considering maintenance nor basic costs for electricity or running water.

They want you to believe that Williamson balanced the budget. Ed Kurtz balanced the budget. That is why he is no longer assigned by the state to be Flint’s City Manager. The State gave back control to local officials after the budget had been balanced when Ed Kurtz was in complete control of Flint's finances. He did his job despite Williamson’s interference. Williamson may not be running a deficit, but he is certainly wasting your money through unnecessary litigation, wasted grant money, and political patronage.

They want you to believe Flint is not facing any problems because the Mayor is just that good. We have the highest unemployment in a state of high unemployment. We have one of the highest crime rates in the country. ALL OF THIS WAS UNDER WILLIAMSON’S WATCH!!! I love Flint. We are a good city of hard working people who have been taken advantage of by a greedy company and unethical politicians. We naturally trust others. People in this country have the audacity to laugh at us while our plight holds up their prosperity. If you want this to change then pick different leadership.

I am young. I am 23. Walling is young. He is 33. Folks, all that means is that we are the ones who will have to live with your decisions affecting this city. I grew up quickly, living in what was left of Flint's Eastside after we trusted GM. I know what this city has been through and I have experience to know that Williamson is making it WORSE.
When a driver is drunk, you take his keys away. When an elected official has shown egotistical irresponsibility, you vote for the other guy and hope for a change. Just because you know Williamson is bad for Flint does not make him the right choice for Flint. Think before you vote next week.
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:26 pm 
last time here

son, with all due respect, at 23 you don't know beans.
go williamson go!!! Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:41 pm 
bigkfly
F L I N T O I D

Better to be young than senile and confused like Williamson. Do yourself a favor and read a newspaper from time to time. I know you probably have so much experience you don't have to pay attention to facts or evidence or even back up anything you say. You're like a village elder. You are also too proud to admit when you don't have an answer to any of these criticisms of the Mayor. Maybe you should consult your beans a little more carefully before you vote next week. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:09 pm 
last time here

kid, i read more in a week than you do all year..
and that includes your time in home making class.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:24 pm 
bigkfly
F L I N T O I D

Prove it. Tell me why I'm wrong. Give me facts that disprove what I've said about Williamson. Use all that reading that you've been doing to convince me that I am just some ignorant little kid. Otherwise, why do you support him if you agree with everything that I have said?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Sad
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:53 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
bigkfly schreef:
Better to be young than senile and confused like Williamson. Do yourself a favor and read a newspaper from time to time. I know you probably have so much experience you don't have to pay attention to facts or evidence or even back up anything you say. You're like a village elder. You are also too proud to admit when you don't have an answer to any of these criticisms of the Mayor. Maybe you should consult your beans a little more carefully before you vote next week. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

You were doing pretty good until you came up with the senile & confused comment. What's next; Don's fat, his wife is ugly, he was in prison 40+ years ago and must be hounded about it for the rest of his life? For some reason, those attacks seem acceptable here, but if someone said Dane looks like a dork, they'd be mercilessly attacked.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
The Don has cut police and is responsible for doubling Flint’s crime rate.
Actually Flints crime rate is caused by the overabundance and steady stream of new gangbangin drug dealers and wanna be ganstas and has little to do with the number of FOP members.
Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:37 am 
bigkfly
F L I N T O I D

Actually the senile remark was a joke, although you would be surprised how many people think the Don is senile. I was responding to the jokes about my age. If you can’t take your own medicine, you should probably step out of the Please delete me!. Smile However, the rest of it was spot on true.

The number of police on the streets does matter because they act as a deterrent effect to criminals. Also, the more cops on the street the greater the chance that individual police officers will be safe and criminals are caught.

Finally, I don't know how often I hear from older people in politics that they want to see more young people active. Yet the response young people occasionally receive is that we are too young to have an opinion or read a newspaper. I'm 23, not 10. I already have a Bachelor's degree and I am pursuing two other degrees. And living with the decisions made by previous generations in Flint has left me with more than enough experience to know that Flint does not need more cronyism, wasted money, urban blight, and litigation.

The best way to alienate young people from the political process is to attack us personally instead of responding to our well-founded points. As an individual who is devoted to youth activism, I take youth alienation seriously and I will respond accordingly. Not only is this forum not the place for that behavior, there is no place for that behavior in a healthy Democracy.

Again, tell me I'm wrong. Give me facts not rhetoric. If you want citations from me, I can provide them. I get my facts from the Flint Journal, the Detroit Free Press, and the Uncommon Sense. I never cite facts on the forum because it is not an appropriate medium to cite. This isn't a thesis paper. But I have the cites at gcydonline.blogspot.com so check it out. Once again, tell me I'm wrong. I want to keep this about facts and debate, but don’t tell me I can’t have any facts because of my age.
Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:29 pm 
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

quote:
bigkfly schreef:
Actually the senile remark was a joke, although you would be surprised how many people think the Don is senile. I was responding to the jokes about my age. If you can’t take your own medicine, you should probably step out of the Please delete me!. Smile However, the rest of it was spot on true.

The number of police on the streets does matter because they act as a deterrent effect to criminals. Also, the more cops on the street the greater the chance that individual police officers will be safe and criminals are caught.

Finally, I don't know how often I hear from older people in politics that they want to see more young people active. Yet the response young people occasionally receive is that we are too young to have an opinion or read a newspaper. I'm 23, not 10. I already have a Bachelor's degree and I am pursuing two other degrees. And living with the decisions made by previous generations in Flint has left me with more than enough experience to know that Flint does not need more cronyism, wasted money, urban blight, and litigation.

The best way to alienate young people from the political process is to attack us personally instead of responding to our well-founded points. As an individual who is devoted to youth activism, I take youth alienation seriously and I will respond accordingly. Not only is this forum not the place for that behavior, there is no place for that behavior in a healthy Democracy.

Again, tell me I'm wrong. Give me facts not rhetoric. If you want citations from me, I can provide them. I get my facts from the Flint Journal, the Detroit Free Press, and the Uncommon Sense. I never cite facts on the forum because it is not an appropriate medium to cite. This isn't a thesis paper. But I have the cites at gcydonline.blogspot.com so check it out. Once again, tell me I'm wrong. I want to keep this about facts and debate, but don’t tell me I can’t have any facts because of my age.

BigKFly,
Dont worry, I wont hold your youth and inexperience against you!
Never state you "get your facts from the Flint Journal."
Thats not showing your youth and inexperience....thats just showing your stupidity!
GOOD DAY TO YOU SIR! I SAID GOOD DAY!

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:39 pm 
last time here

ahhhhhhhh....youthful exuberance!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:54 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: