FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: $20/hour jobs in Wyoming

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam

I'm not real happy about posting this but: http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-36/114579300731170.xml&coll=5&thispage=1

I think the clear answer to What has Flint done to bring in jobs? is not enough. I think it's pathetic that I should even have to fight to legalize home business in the city. Dell computer and Ikea started from home businesses among many others.
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:58 am 
Adam

There's also no state income tax in Wyoming! Look at http://www.wyomingworkforce.org/who/text_jobseekers.htm for all the workforce services they have. http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060429/NEWS03/604290331/1004/news03 says Wyoming is coming back again to take more Michigan workers.

This is kind of frustrating for me. I make nowhere near what they make in Wyoming. I assume they have less crime out there as well. I think Flint and Michigan needs to start comparing itself to other cities and states and look at what they are doing that we are not.
Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:44 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Yes Crime is Lower there. WIth the state population only 4 times hidher than the whole city of Flint. the cities there are typically 50,000 or so. And yes very low crime.

But, they will shoot you there for trespassing. Hmmm Novel idea
Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
flintteach
F L I N T O I D

My mother-in-law has a home in Greybull, WY. Beautiful country ! They call it God's country ! You can see for miles. It is nestled between the Big Horn Mnts and the Rockies.

She and her husband have 75 acres and their property taxes are a whooping $600.00. And their property and house was assessed at 90,000 dollars.

There is no corporate or personal state income tax and their sales tax is 5%.

She bought the acreage almost 15 years ago for $100.00 an acre.

The reason the cost of living there is so inexpensive is because they have very few prisons and very few on welfare.

People here in Michigan don't understand how that works. Either you work in Wyoming or you are shamed outta town !

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
flintteach
F L I N T O I D

And to add, last year Wyoming had nearly 1.4 billion left over in surplus and the state government doesn't know what to do with it.

When we were out there 2 years ago we drove to a bentonite
mine. Pure black mineral that swells when it comes in contact with water. They were mining while we walked around on it. I talked to some of the miners who were working the bulldozers and they said they were from Michigan and Ohio. They told me they were making $30 an hour. I asked them what bentonite was used for, they told me; from everything to kitty litter to cosmetics to drilling project and pharmaceuticals. I was amazed !

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

http://www.jacksonholestartrib.com/articles/2005/12/02/news/1d3f6e41751a9b43872570cb0060ef24.txt Has the surplus story.

Hmm $600 a year. That's about what I pay to live in a cheap flint house with less than 1/10 of one acre.

If things do continue to downhill I guess I know where I'll be heading. I think I can last another couple years. It's tough talking to millionaires everyday though. There a lot of people in southern cal and Florida that can afford multiple $50,000-70,000 cars and not even drive some of them. One guy I talked to called his wife's $70,000 convertible cheap because he has another $250,000 convertible.

I'm pretty sure the Republicans in Michigan recently introduced a bill so you can defend yourself if attacked. Previously you were supposed to run before defending yourself and/or property.

In Flint the way things would probably work now is if your house is broken into you should away and let the criminal take whatever he wants while waiting for the police to never arrive. If you kill the criminal you will probably go to jail.
Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:11 pm 
Adam

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-17/1146756032272270.xml&coll=7

Wyoming is still at it doing more job fairs in Michigan. This article says you can get jobs for your whole family. Dad, Mom and the kids. I think the results of havine a booming energy industry, and great Republican pro-business leadership are astounding. They have a nice cash hoard so I really wouldn't be surprised if they even start paying moving expenses to pull even more people from our struggling state.
Post Fri May 05, 2006 10:26 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=4747100 has some good video stories.
Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:01 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: