FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Crime stats

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam

I feel this is what the city of Flint should have. http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/home.html

At the bottom left of the page you can select a precinct. When you go to each precinct you can see the crime stats updated every single week! (on the right hand side every single precinct has a link) For an example http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/pdf/chfdept/cs001pct.pdf has precinct 1 statistics.

If I was in charge I'd do the same thing with Flint and to top it off try and do like the city of Davison does and post individual crimes. The city of Davison posts every single call in the Davison newspaper on a monthly basis. In Flint I think we could have 9 ward commanders and perhaps 60 sargeants and weekly updates. To beat New York City and Davison we would need to have an online system updated daily. Me being competitive I would probably like to have it updated instantly (With an online system that should be possible). For a comparison http://www.ci.flint.mi.us/Police/Stat.htm has our crime stats. Instead of being updated weekly by precinct like New York City I guess ours are updated yearly but only on a citywide basis. If we want to be like New York City that had years of falling crime perhaps we should look to what they did.

Adam Ford
Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:56 pm 
rapunzel

Adam, some good statisics were provided at FEWS did you get a copy?
While you were reading your book?
Lt. Provided crime mapping ...long awaited...I did not get a copy. Lori will put them on transparency's so we can gauge types of crime per area. Or more importantly set them overly to see many types of crimes in each area.
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:02 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Adam,

What you want is too easy to accomplish. Unless, it can take millions of dollars to do and get grant money to do it. Flint isn't going to waste it’s time.

Where I work, they just implemented a system that pulls the inventory from the POS software and puts it on the web. But it takes it a step further (because it's only a database which information can be pulled form for other programs and uses). You can see items in inventory match exactly what you’re looking for and fits your car.

The POS software is in Unix, they are using an HTML code to show the items. I didn't look at the source to see if they were using asp or java, but I know they had to be using some type of ODBC drivers convert the engines from one source to another.

This goes back to my former recommendation. It was along the same lines at what your asking here.

I believe the City, could have available, online lists, of everything stolen or reported to police. A searchable database of items. I believe since the Pawn shops already send lists to the Police dept. They should be able to do this online. Flat file import at matches up right with what the Police are listing as stolen. I think too many people would be satisfied in finding their stolen property. For some reason. In Flint the leadership doesn’t want solutions to problems. Just ways to get more money and more officers to "Combat" it. Solving crime and putting a stop to it. Isn't going to get anybody over time.
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: