FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Area unemployment worst in the state up to 8.3%
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071025/NEWS01/310250025

The state’s major labor market areas, their seasonally unadjusted jobless rates for September and the change since August:

Ann Arbor, 5.1 percent, up from 5 percent.
Battle Creek, 6.8 percent, up from 6.6 percent.
Bay City, 6.7 percent, up from 6.4 percent.
Detroit-Warren-Livonia, 7.7 percent, down from 7.9 percent.
Flint, 8.3 percent, up from 8 percent.
Grand Rapids-Wyoming, 6 percent, up from 5.9 percent.
Holland-Grand Haven, 5.6 percent, up from 5.3 percent.
Jackson, 7.7 percent, up from 7.6 percent.
Kalamazoo-Portage, 5.6 percent, up from 5.4 percent.
Lansing-East Lansing, 5.8 percent, up from 5.7 percent.
Monroe, 6.3 percent, down from 6.4 percent.
Muskegon-Norton Shores, 7.3 percent, up from 7.1 percent.
Niles-Benton Harbor, 6.4 percent, up from 6.3 percent.
Saginaw-Saginaw Township North, 7.1 percent, up from 6.9 percent.
Upper Peninsula, 6.3 percent, unchanged.
Northeast Lower Michigan, 7.7 percent, up from 7.6 percent.
Northwest Lower Michigan, 6.5 percent, up from 6.3 percent. [/b]
Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:30 am 
yaryrret
F L I N T O I D

Whose fault is that?
Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:02 am 
last time here

whomever is allowing corporations to offshore.....
deal with AOL? talk to "billy" in india.
credit card call? talk with "mike" in india.
a bad mattell toy? talk with "robert" in china.
complaint about carharrts (good work clothes)? talk with "leon" in china.
pots from cooking channel? talk with "rodney" in china.
a sears sweater? talk with "julio" in dominican republic.
your american car? assembled in mexico.
hardware purchases? talk with "bif" in china.

oh those lovely conservatives..making all that money!
wheres FC and 2tap now??

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:49 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
oh those lovely conservatives..making all that money!
wheres FC and 2tap now??

Your'e sounding awful jealous, LT. I'm still waiting for your evidence of Engler's breaking the state coffers.

I say, again, PROVE IT.

As of 9/30/02, the State of Michigan General Fund
Fund Balance was $1,777,079,000 and the
"Counter-Cyclical Budget and Economic
Stabilization Fund" (more commonly known
as our "rainy day" fund was $145,150,000
for a total (unrestricted) Fund Balance of $1,922,229,000.

As of 9/30/06, the State of Michigan General Fund
Fund Balance was $1,069,240,000 and the "rainy
day" fund was $2,017,000 for a total of
$1,071,257,000, a DECREASE of almost
$851 million or 44.27%.

In other words, during Granholm's first four
years, she spent $851 million more than
she took in.

You can find this data at:

http://www.michigan.gov/budget/0,1607,7-157-13406_13419---,00.html

Speaking of stealing...

"As the clocks ticks toward the deadline to avert a shutdown of state services, our chief investigative reporter Steve Wilson has been looking into a sweetheart deal that will cost Michigan millions.

It’s the story of a new state police headquarters that the state will lease from a friend and supporter of the Governor for nearly three times what it would cost to build…even though many say a new building isn’t even necessary now."

http://www.wxyz.com/content/news/investigators/story.aspx?content_id=84AA2E42-5F44-4458-832E-FFD2116E8CAA&gsa=true
Post Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:14 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well as usual old LT here is blaming those darn conservatives and maybe hes right heres one signing the NAFTA agreement.

Remarks by President Bill Clinton in the NAFTA Bill signing ceremony in the Mellon Auditorium in Washington DC on December 8, 1993.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you very much. I'm delighted to see all of you here. I thank Speaker Foley and the Republican Leader Bob Michel for joining us today. There are so many people to thank, and the Vice President did a marvelous job. I do want to mention, if I might, just three others -- Laura Tyson, the Chair of the Council of Economic Advisors; Bob Rubin, head of my national economic team; and one Republican member of the House that wasn't mentioned, Congressman David Dreier, who went with me on a rainy day to Louisiana to campaign for NAFTA. There are many others that I might mention, but I thank all of you for what you have done.

I also can't help but note that in spite of all the rest of our efforts, there was a -- that magic moment on Larry King -- (applause) -- which made a lot of difference. And I thank the Vice President for that and for so much else.

In the campaign, when we decided to come out for NAFTA, he was a strong supporter of that position in our personal meetings, long before we knew whether we would even be here or not. I also would be remiss if I did not personally thank both Mickey Kantor and Mack McLarty for the work they did, especially in the closing days with the Mexican trade representatives and the Mexican government. I'd also like to welcome here the representatives from Mexico and Canada and tell them they are, in fact, welcome here. They are our partners in the future that we are trying to make together. (Applause.)

I want to say a special word of thanks to the Cabinet because we have tried to do something that I have not always seen in the past. And we try to get all of our departments and all of our Cabinet leaders to work together on all the things that we all care about. And a lot of them, therefore, had to take a lot of personal time and business time away from their very busy schedules to do this. I thank the former leaders of our government that were mentioned and our military. I can't help but noting, since General Powell is here, that every senior military officer with whom I spoke about NAFTA was perhaps -- they were as a group perhaps the most intensely supportive of any group I spoke with. And I think it is because they have in their bones the experience of the world of the last several decades. And they knew we could not afford to turn away from our leadership responsibilities and our constructive involvement in the world. And many of them, of course, still in uniform, were not permitted to say that in public and should not have been. But I think I can say that today. I was profoundly personally moved by the remarks that they made. (Applause.)

I do want to say, also, a special word of thanks to all the citizens who helped us -- the business leaders, the labor folks, the environmental people who came out and worked through this; many of them at great criticism, particularly in the environmental movement and some of the working people who helped it. And a group that was quite pivotal to our success that I want to acknowledge specifically are the small business people, many of whom got themselves organized and came forward and tried to help us. They made a real difference. (Applause.)

And they've been mentioned, but I couldn't let this moment go by without thanking my good friend Bill Daley and Congressman Bill Frenzel for their work in helping to mobilize this effort. Congressman Frenzel wrote me a great letter the other day and sent me one of his famous doodles that he doodled around the NAFTA legislation, which I am now having framed. But they sort of represented the bipartisan spirit that encaptured the Congress, encaptured the country in the call to change. I hope that we can have more than that in the days and months and years ahead. It was a very fine thing.

This whole issue turned out to be a defining moment for our nation. I spoke with one of the folks who was in the reception just a few moments ago who told me that he was in China watching the vote on international television when it was taken. And he said you would have had to be there to understand how important this was to the rest of the world; not because of the terms of NAFTA, which basically is trade agreement between the United States, Mexico, and Canada, but because it became a symbolic struggle for the spirit of our country and for how we would approach this very difficult and rapidly changing world dealing with our own considerable challenges here at home.

I believe we have made a decision now that will permit us to create an economic order in the world that will promote more growth, more equality, better preservation of the environment, and a greater possibility of world peace. We are on the verge of a global economic expansion that is sparked by the fact that the United States at this critical moment decided that we would compete, not retreat.
Post Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:16 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
yaryrret schreef:
Whose fault is that?

I'd blame the lawmakers. A liberal might blame the business owners though.

Post Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:53 am 
last time here

i blame them all.......
of course mr. dubya has allowed them to go bonkers with greed!!
give engler another krispy kreme.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:02 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Blame Question What about the former workers who would rather sit around and do nothing rather than look for another job because it's easier to collect unemployment. If they're only making minimum wage it costs them almost as much for transportation or child care to work as they would get in minimum wage earnings. Also reduces their income so they qualify for freebie programs, like the Genesee Health Care we're paying taxes for.
Post Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:06 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
another krispy kreme..

Why is it evertime I see that posted I think of Willie Clinton .Oval office, Chubby intern and blue dress. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:43 pm 
last time here

oos2, you can't be serious???
an ex plant worker sitting around waiting for unemployment??
thats friggin ridiculous dude. you must be young and
inexperienced. are you at home with the parents?
do you have any idea what it takes to live.....yet?
damn kids!!! Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

2tap!!! how could you!!!!! actually she was kinda
cute in her own way.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:41 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

LTH, absolutely serious. Not speaking of ex plant worker. Young woman believed her college educated "talented" boyfriend didn't need to look for work because he was receiving unemployment, that he was entitled to receive it through the extended period because "he paid for it." After being enlightened to facts, she still offered excuses for his not looking for work. That's one story, happened years ago, but the attitude about collecting unemployment rather than work still prevails today.

Today, and even years ago, there are young people raising families who cannot support them making only minimum wage so they have to resort to public assistance. If they work, I support them but I wish they'd stop making babies they cannot support. Some of those young people find it easier not to work at all and simply rely on public support for reasons stated in my previous post. When they won't put forth an effort, I don't want my tax dollars wasted on them.

Unfortunately, I do know "what it takes to live" and I don't have a penny to waste!
Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:52 pm 
last time here

well dude, i agree with you on that one!!!
you win!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:56 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Some of those young people find it easier not to work at all and simply rely on public support for reasons stated in my previous post. When they won't put forth an effort, I don't want my tax dollars wasted on them.

Hey we are in our third or fourth generation of these "Young People". We got the babys daddys running all round the city making more babys with anything that will put out for em and movin on taking no responsibility for their last sperm deposit. We got flooply ears Hussein Obama, and John the "breck Girl" Edwards with their promises of more taxpayer funded handouts, and of course the Hildabeast offering 5 grand for each little miracle of birth these "young People" can squeeze out. Is it no wonder that every major city even Flint which aint exactly major is in the shape they are in. As far as the floppy ears statement actually they are more like Dumbo ears. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:43 pm 
david
F L I N T O I D

bought a new '05 dodge ram with the CTD. can you imagine my surprise when i found out it was assembled in mexico.

wonder why the parts are shipped to old mexico to be put together instead of the once great state of michigan?

maybe wages are too high in the late great state of michigan. now before you labor guys blast my balls and george bush what will happen when all the illegals get their driver licenses in michigan? can you say "coming out of the wood work" and under cutting wages even more.

both political parties are to blame as well as the UAW for driving wages up to where the big three had to look else where.

david
san diego
Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:00 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Flint's unemployment has been high since the early 80's, this should come as no surprise to people. Lots of people out of work, A LOT more that don't want to work. The whole state is hurting right now, not just Flint Michigan.

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: