FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: What Are Bankert & Eashoo Thinking?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Because of their strong civic commitment track records, many find the endorsements by Terry Bankert and Ryan Eashoo of Don Williamson’s re-election bid for mayor particularly disappointing.

Terry was Flint’s last effective Ombudsman, played a critical role in the effort to keep that office alive when it was in jeopardy of elimination, and was a driving force behind the community-wide effort to raise the level awareness and seriousness of the recent Flint Board of Education election – among other ongoing efforts for which Terry deserves recognition and gratitude.

Ryan has been a staunch advocate for Flint’s resurgence, especially in the Carriage Town neighborhood.

As a result of this history and the community stature that comes with it, their support of Don Williamson demands closer inspection and disclosure.

Ryan Eashoo was appointed to the Historic District Commission by Don Williamson. As a commissioner, Ryan caste a vote that would have permitted the demolition of Manning Court. Eashoo reportedly claimed to not have understood what he was voting for and that he had made a mistake. Yes, people make mistakes. But citizens judge public officials by their ability to understand issues and avoid such ‘mistakes.’ Yet Eashoo’s performance on the Manning Court issue is beside the point when it comes to his support for Williamson’s re-election. What is important to understand is that his appointment by Williamson means Ryan is not an unbiased, independent community voice. Not that there was an explicit quid pro quo, i.e. “I’ll appoint you if you promise unfettered support for my administration and re-election campaign.” But it does tie their interests together and eliminates Eashoo as a credible, impartial observer capable of making a reliable endorsement based on uncluttered reasoning and analysis of known facts.

Speaking of facts, as an attorney, Bankert’s October 10th letter of support for Williamson in the Flint Journal is shockingly lacking in evidence for the claims it puts forth as ‘many reasons to back mayor’ Williamson.

Bankert writes:

“Flint citizens look at our city as being on the doorstep of economic revival. That's good, and credit goes to Williamson.”

What are the factors that would allow Flint citizens to conclude an ‘economic revival’ is on the horizon? Bankert gives us no hint. We can only speculate Bankert is referring the downtown redevelopment of Saginaw Street. How that effort will revitalize the city beyond the immediate downtown neighborhood will not be known for years. However, credit for that important project goes to Tim Herman, president Uptown Reinvestments, The Mott Foundation, and the private investors who have put up the money and shouldered the risk. That effort began before Williamson was first elected mayor and continues in spite of him.

Bankert’s next claim is also made with no evidence supporting it:

“Flint citizens feel safer, police are on the road and our jail is open. That's good, and credit goes to Williamson.”

OK. The city jail is open and Williamson did play a role in that effort. Is it good? Perhaps. However, Williamson’s failure to appoint a permanent Chief of Police, his antagonistic relationship with the Flint Fire Department, and the bitterness and unrest these failures have spawned among rank-and-file police officers and firefighters in no way make this Flint citizen ‘feel safer.’ In fact, Ted Jankowski and others have used government sources that offer statistical evidence proving, despite the mayor’s narrowly focused claims (using data for 2007 only – not since he took office in 2004), that crime has been on the rise over the full span of Williamson’s time in office.

Bankert’s next unsupported assertion:

“Flint citizens look at our neighborhoods and they are cleaner with many abandoned houses torn down. That's good, and credit goes to Williamson.”

Williamson’s block cleaning and dumpster providing efforts are to be commended. Yet their inconsistent nature, and accusations of selectivity and convenient timing around controversial initiatives and his wife’s campaign for state senate stain the altruism such community pride-building efforts should have. It is also true that the majority of the credit for the demolition of abandoned housing and sustainable community cleanup projects belongs to Dan Kildee and the Genesee County Landbank. Not Williamson.

Bankert’s last unsubstantiated claim that:

“Flint citizens see neighborhoods with new housing, a downtown with new buildings, our universities expanding and a community that's coming together to get the job done. That's good, and credit is given to Williamson.”

This litany of falsehoods is especially insulting to those who deserve the real credit. First, Williamson’s disastrous failure to utilized federal community bloc grants from HUD has been completely forgotten. If “Flint citizens see neighborhoods with new housing,’ they should realize that they would see many more had it not been for Williamson playing petty politics with millions of dollars of federal money. Second, as stated before, the new buildings downtown have nothing to do with Williamson – credit belongs Tim Herman, Uptown Reinvestments, The Mott Foundation, and private investors – of which Williamson is not one. Third, our universities are expanding. That is true and there is reason for excitement and hope for what this growth could mean for the entire city. But the credit belongs to leaders like former UM-Flint Chancellor Juan Mestas, The University of Michigan Board of Regents and the hard work of the administrations, faculty, staff and students of Mott, Kettering, Baker and UM-Flint. Williamson has not been a factor in any of the successes at these institutions and any claim otherwise is simply not true. The final claim here, that the community is ‘coming together to get the job done.’ That it’s ‘good, and credit is given to Williamson,’ should be infuriating to every citizen ‘getting the job done.’ Like our Commander-In-Chief and the mayor preceding him, Williamson has been an ultra-polarizing force. Yet unlike Williamson himself, the citizens of Flint have set aside differences to come together to tackle the arduous work that needs to be done. It is being done. Complete credit belongs to the citizens of Flint. Period.

Bankert’s final statement should be read as a baseless threat:

“We never want a return to the economic disaster that preceded him. We have that leadership in Williamson, and he deserves re-election.”

This is doom-and-gloom politics at its worst. Williamson takes credit for getting the city out of the hole and a budget surplus. Yet the real credit belongs to the plan devised by the then city council and to Ed Kurtz for his even-handed, professional execution of what was essentially the city council’s turnaround plan. Williamson can take credit for wasting nearly $20 million of taxpayer money on spiteful lawsuits and this partial list of despotic recklessness:

July 2004 to Nov 2005–Mayor Donald Williamson feuds and sues with city council on everything from budgets and contracts to cell phones and swear words.

Sept 2004–Mayor Donald Williamson has Flint Journal carrier arrested for distributing newspaper at City Hall.

Oct 2004–Mayor Donald Williamson issues Executive Order forbidding city employees “directed and supervised by the Mayor” from communicating with city council members.

Oct 2004–Mayor Donald Williamson issues Executive Order forbidding city employees and department heads from communicating with the media.

2004–Mayor Donald Williamson forbids the painting of The Rock at Hammerberg and 12th Street or face a $1,000 fine.

Jan 2005–Mayor Donald Williamson issues Executive Order forbidding the city from entering into any type of business transaction with any company and/or subsidiary of any company and/or individual that is currently involved, or has been involved in a lawsuit with the City of Flint within the past five (5) years.

March 2005–Mayor Donald Williamson accuses Flint Firefighters of sabotaging a fire truck in an effort to make the mayor look bad.

2005–Mayor Donald Williamson and wife make campaign contributions to handpicked city council candidates, commission a big sign saying who to vote for and have it pulled around town in a “To The Rescue” truck.

Dec 2005–Mayor Donald Williamson awards $500 Prize for painting The Rock at Hammerberg and 12th Street.

Winter 2006–Mayor Donald Williamson cites alleged forgery as grounds to terminate Dave Donahue from operational management of city-owned Tavern on the Green Golf Club & Restaurant. Hatch Enterprises, who contributed equipment and manpower for the Williamson’s city clean-up efforts during his run for mayor, is awarded the job.

April 2006–Mayor Donald Williamson overhauls the city Housing Commission, an independent body, in favor of handpicked personnel.

How anyone could endorse an elderly megalomaniac who has behaved like a spoiled child for decades is beyond me. The whole “why change horses in mid-stream’ argument was used in the 2004 re-election of President Bush, threatening us with the idea that change during a war ('economic uncertainty' in Bankert/Williamson’s case) is unsound, too dangerous. The real question then, as it is here, is ‘what the hell are we doing in a stream?’ More to the point, why fear changing to an energetic, young, progressive leader with ideas and an aptitude that fit our time, in favor a proven tyrant prone to distraction, manipulation and archaic thinking?

I genuinely like both Ryan and Terry, and support and appreciate all their efforts to improve this city. Their endorsements of Williamson are all the more confusing and frustrating given this commitment and history. Is Terry pandering to the voters he assumes are already in Williamson’s pocket for his own campaign for a judgeship? Who knows? Is Eashoo acting on a sense obligation resulting from his appointment to the Historic District Commission by Williamson? Who knows? But there is plenty of reason to be suspicious of their support for Williamson.

I welcome their responses and encourage them to clarify their positions.

Bob Mabbitt

http://www.hr676.org

http://www.pnhp.org/publications/the_national_health_insurance_bill_hr_676.php
Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:35 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Wow, good post, I am going to read it again and review it. It's nice to see this kind of discussion on this forum.

Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:59 pm 
last time here

damn..... Embarassed Shocked Sad Embarassed Shocked Sad

Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:01 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Public D schreef:
Because of their strong civic commitment track records, many find the endorsements by Terry Bankert and Ryan Eashoo of Don Williamson’s re-election bid for mayor particularly disappointing.

BANKERT RESPONSE- I suppose you find it disappointing because I do not agree with you. Fair enough we can agree to disagree.

Terry was Flint’s last effective Ombudsman, played a critical role in the effort to keep that office alive when it was in jeopardy of elimination, and was a driving force behind the community-wide effort to raise the level awareness and seriousness of the recent Flint Board of Education election – among other ongoing efforts for which Terry deserves recognition and gratitude.

Ryan has been a staunch advocate for Flint’s resurgence, especially in the Carriage Town neighborhood.

As a result of this history and the community stature that comes with it, their support of Don Williamson demands closer inspection and disclosure.

BANKERT RESPONSE: I agree

Ryan Eashoo was appointed to the Historic District Commission by Don Williamson. As a commissioner, Ryan caste a vote that would have permitted the demolition of Manning Court. Eashoo reportedly claimed to not have understood what he was voting for and that he had made a mistake. Yes, people make mistakes. But citizens judge public officials by their ability to understand issues and avoid such ‘mistakes.’ Yet Eashoo’s performance on the Manning Court issue is beside the point when it comes to his support for Williamson’s re-election. What is important to understand is that his appointment by Williamson means Ryan is not an unbiased, independent community voice. Not that there was an explicit quid pro quo, i.e. “I’ll appoint you if you promise unfettered support for my administration and re-election campaign.” But it does tie their interests together and eliminates Eashoo as a credible, impartial observer capable of making a reliable endorsement based on uncluttered reasoning and analysis of known facts.

Speaking of facts, as an attorney, Bankert’s October 10th letter of support for Williamson in the Flint Journal is shockingly lacking in evidence for the claims it puts forth as ‘many reasons to back mayor’ Williamson.

BANKERT RESPONSE : It was a letter to the editor intended to briefly convey a position. The forum was not one for great length. That would have been a view point column.

Bankert writes:

“Flint citizens look at our city as being on the doorstep of economic revival. That's good, and credit goes to Williamson.”

What are the factors that would allow Flint citizens to conclude an ‘economic revival’ is on the horizon? Bankert gives us no hint. We can only speculate Bankert is referring the downtown redevelopment of Saginaw Street. How that effort will revitalize the city beyond the immediate downtown neighborhood will not be known for years. However, credit for that important project goes to Tim Herman, president Uptown Reinvestments, The Mott Foundation, and the private investors who have put up the money and shouldered the risk. That effort began before Williamson was first elected mayor and continues in spite of him.

BANKERT RESPONSE ; The point of this position statement is that the average voter will look around themselves and draw a conclusion. If things look like they are getting better they give credit to the incumbent. If things look like they are getting worse they blame the incumbent. Things[ downtown, housing in-fill], are being built, roads improved, downtown is getting exciting. This broad brush evcaluation is how we develop opinions.

Bankert’s next claim is also made with no evidence supporting it:

“Flint citizens feel safer, police are on the road and our jail is open. That's good, and credit goes to Williamson.”

BANKERT RESPONSE: Again most citizens that I have talked to on several forums feel having the jail open is a good thing. These again are my impressions. Nice try at demeaning the statement, an evidentiary presentation was not mandated in a letter to the editor stating my opinion. Disagree with my opinion and give reasons why.

OK. The city jail is open and Williamson did play a role in that effort. Is it good? perhaps.
BANKERT RESPONSE : Thank You for agreeing with me here.

However, Williamson’s failure to appoint a permanent Chief of Police, his antagonistic relationship with the Flint Fire Department, and the bitterness and unrest these failures have spawned among rank-and-file police officers and firefighters in no way make this Flint citizen ‘feel safer.’

BANKERT RESPONSE: You offer no proof here that the jail opening is a bad thing. You attack it by raising other issues. You present these issues as opinion. You have a right to your opinion as I do mine.

In fact, Ted Jankowski and others have used government sources that offer statistical evidence proving, despite the mayor’s narrowly focused claims (using data for 2007 only – not since he took office in 2004), that crime has been on the rise over the full span of Williamson’s time in office.

BANKERT RESPONSE ; What does this have to do with opening the jail being good or bad?

Bankert’s next unsupported assertion:

BANKERT RESPONSE: Again you use this negtive lead to demean a statement of opinion in a letter to the editor. I wrote in a manner appropriate to the forum it was submit to. It must have been effective you read it and are responding.

“Flint citizens look at our neighborhoods and they are cleaner with many abandoned houses torn down. That's good, and credit goes to Williamson.”

Williamson’s block cleaning and dumpster providing efforts are to be commended.

BANKERT RESPONSE : Thank you for agreeing once again with my statement of my opinion.

Yet their inconsistent nature, and accusations of selectivity and convenient timing around controversial initiatives and his wife’s campaign for state senate stain the altruism such community pride-building efforts should have. It is also true that the majority of the credit for the demolition of abandoned housing and sustainable community cleanup projects belongs to Dan Kildee and the Genesee County Landbank. Not Williamson.

BANKERT RESPONSE : Once again you agree with my statment but argue other issues to attack it. These other statements are your opinion. You have a right to it. Thank you.The point being he is the mayor, during his watch the city is cleaner, he gets credit. If it was not cleaner he would get the criticism.

Bankert’s last unsubstantiated claim that:

BANKERT RESPONSE : Again it was a letter to the editor written in the form of opinion. I stand by it.

“Flint citizens see neighborhoods with new housing, a downtown with new buildings, our universities expanding and a community that's coming together to get the job done. That's good, and credit is given to Williamson.”

BANKERT RESPONSE : Again during his watch these things are happening and they are good. The citizens see the big picture, the city is moving forward. If it was not the mayor would be critiqued.

Bankert’s final statement should be read as a baseless threat:

“We never want a return to the economic disaster that preceded him. We have that leadership in Williamson, and he deserves re-election.”

This is doom-and-gloom politics at its worst. Williamson takes credit for getting the city out of the hole and a budget surplus. Yet the real credit belongs to the plan devised by the then city council and to Ed Kurtz for his even-handed, professional execution of what was essentially the city council’s turnaround plan. Williamson can take credit for wasting nearly $20 million of taxpayer money on spiteful lawsuits and this partial list of despotic recklessness:

How anyone could endorse an elderly megalomaniac who has behaved like a spoiled child for decades is beyond me. The whole “why change horses in mid-stream’ argument was used in the 2004 re-election of President Bush, threatening us with the idea that change during a war ('economic uncertainty' in Bankert/Williamson’s case) is unsound, too dangerous.

BANKERT RESPONSE - The previous adminstration and the councils put the city of Flint into recievership. We now have a City Moving forward and a budget surplus.

I genuinely like both Ryan and Terry, and support and appreciate all their efforts to improve this city. Their endorsements of Williamson are all the more confusing and frustrating given this commitment and history.

Is Terry pandering to the voters he assumes are already in Williamson’s pocket for his own campaign for a judgeship? Who knows?

BANKERT RESPONSE - Actually this I am sure has taken me out of the running for an appointment and election to District Court Judgeship. This is how I feel It is a deeply held belief.

I DO NOT BELIEVE IN DAYNE WALLING.

I have told him that twice. He is a fine person. I do not think he is ready. Its not his time. I said this directly to him. I do not mean to offend him. This is my opinion. I said it publicly and directly to the candidate. At this stage in my life I am just going to call it as I see it.
Mine is an act of personal choice. This is my opinion, let the chips fall where they may. We can not always agree.

Eashoo acting on a sense obligation resulting from his appointment to the Historic District Commission by Williamson? Who knows? But there is plenty of reason to be suspicious of their support for Williamson.

BANKERT RESPONSE: Thank you, any time. And to Jack and Dick this is how you do IT. Bob asked me a direct question. Bob thank you for the manner you raised these questions.
Bob Mabbitt

TO THE FLINT COMMUNITY

I support the re-election of Don Williamson as Flint mayor. Here's why I have endorsed him.

Flint is at an economic crossroads, and now is not the time to change seasoned Williamson leadership for the unknown.

Flint is still recovering from the economic disaster of a state receivership.

Michigan is experiencing economic hardship with billion-dollar deficits that must cause a reduction in Flint revenue.

Now is not the time to change Williamson's economic leadership.

Flint citizens give credit to the incumbent when things are good and blame the incumbent when things are bad.

Flint citizens look at our city as being on the doorstep of economic revival. That's good, and credit goes to Williamson.

Flint citizens feel safer, police are on the road and our jail is open. That's good, and credit goes to Williamson.

Flint citizens look at our neighborhoods and they are cleaner with many abandoned houses torn down. That's good, and credit goes to Williamson.

Flint citizens see neighborhoods with new housing, a downtown with new buildings, our universities expanding and a community that's coming together to get the job done. That's good, and credit is given to Williamson.

We never want a return to the economic disaster that preceded him. We have that leadership in Williamson, and he deserves re-election.

Terry Bankert

Flint

OTHER WILLIAMSON ENDORSEMENTS
Unions
Flint Fire Fighters Local 352 AFL-CIO
Greater Flint AFL-CIO Council
AFSCME Local 1600, City of Flint Employees
Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters
International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 1106
Communication Workers of America Local 4103
AFSCME Genesee County Employees Local 496
AFSCME Hurley Medical Center LPN Local 875
AFSCME McLaren Hospital Registered Nurses Local 875
AFSCME Mid Michigan Road Commissions Local 1071
AFSCME City of Flint Employees Local 1600
AFSCME Hurley Medical Center Employees Local 1603
AFSCME City of Flint Supervisors Local 1799
AFSCME Mass Transp. Authority Employees Local 3437
AFSCME Whaley Children Center Local 3723
LEO AFT University of Michigan Local 6244
American Postal Worker Union Local 271

Neighborhood Associations
Flint Police Community Services Bureau
Flint Police Society of Afro-American Police
Flint Fire Fighters Society of Minority Fire Fighters
Court Street Neighborhood Association
Howard Estates Neighborhood Association
S.O.S. Crime Watch
Women on the Move

Community Leaders
Cal Rapson, UAW International Vice President
Rick Toldo, UAW Chair ACC Truck Fleet
Archie Bailey, Chairman County Commissioner
C. Fredrick Robinson, Attorney at Law
Michael Manley, Attorney at Law
Richard Scharrer, Richie’s Fruit Stand
Darryl Buchanan, President, Flint City Council
Kerry Nelson, Third Ward City Council
Sandy Hill, Fourth Ward City Council
James Rutherford, former City of Flint Mayor
Arthur A. Busch, former Prosecutor of Genesee Cnty.
Joe Conroy, former State of Michigan Senator

Clergy
Rev. Lewis Randolph, Antioch Baptist Church
Bishop Odis Floyd, New Jerusalem Gospel Baptist Church
Rev. Henry Fuller, Mt. Calvary Missionary Baptist Church
Rev. Leroy Shelton, Christ Fellowship Church
Pastor Urundi Knox, Ebenezer Ministries Church
Bishop M. C. Akins, Heavenly Host Full Gospel Church
Bishop Roger Jones, Greater Holy Temple
Rev. Arthur Pointer, Metropolitan Baptist Church
Rev. Kevilin Jones, Sr., Bountiful Love Church
Rev. Major Stewart, Gethsemane Missionary Baptist Church
Rev. F. O. Hockenhull, First Trinity Missionary Baptist Church
Rev. Samuel Marsh, Civic Heights Church of God
Rev. Benny Stribling, Judah Full Gospel Church
Rev. Orlando Goodman, St. Luke Baptist Church
Rev. Derrick Aldridge, Second Chance Church
Rev. Arthur Lee
Rev. Robert Smith, Sr.
Rev. James Gill
Rev. Johnny Kidd
Rev. James Walker
Rev. Harold Jones
---
I see below more detail is requested. I have given enough. Present your counter points to the world, ask the candidates. We have agreed to disagree Public D, I will leave it at that.-trb 6:58 pm

Last edited by terrybankert on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Thank you for the prompt response, Terry. Yes, we can agree to disagree. However, I was still hoping for more concrete reasons for your support of Williamson. I understand a Flint Journal letter is not the best forum for such a detailed breakdown of support. But that doesn't mean blanket statements and groundless cause/effect connections should be made falsely in any format. And the 'big picture, broad brush, as long as it happened under Williamson's watch' viewpoint you claim Flint voters take is, in my opinion, rather demeaning to Flint voters. And it is by no means changes the fact that the mayor has had nothing to do with most of the 'successes' you give him credit for. Aside from the jail (for which I made no arguement pro or con), paving some streets and building some bridges, I fail to see evidence of the strong economic leadership you refer to. I look forward to hearing verifiable examples of this economic leadership - or social, political, environmental, educational leadership for that matter.

Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:12 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Bob, I understand your concerns and will address them. I am very excited about The City of Flint right now, more than I ever have been. I think the colleges, Hospitals, Downtwon and neighborhoods are all doing very well. However, I have to set the record straight about how I was appointed. I never received any money, never got a new buick, never won a date with Patsy Lou, yadda yadda yadda. I have tried to get on that commission since Woodrow Stanley was Mayor, he was in the process of putting me on the commission, then the recall happened. So this was something I wanted to do for years. I have a passion for historic preservation and making The City of Flint a better city once again.

quote:
Public D schreef:

Eashoo Response:
We all have the right to vote for whomever we choose, people support different people for different reasons.

[b]
EASHOO RESPONSE:
EASHOO RESPONSE: [/b] Williamson never directly or indirectly talked to me about wanting to be on the Historic District Commission. Let the record state that my appointment first started through Ed Kurtz and was going through the proper channels when he was head of the City. I did send a letter to Mayor Williamson expressing my desire to sit on The Historic District Commission. I then received a phone call from a secretary in the mayor's office asking if my interest still existed, in which I responded, "Yes". Never did Mayor Williamson or any member of his administration attach any strings to my appointment. In fact, the people supporting my appointment were Flint City Council members (9 of them) and the Genesee County Historical Society. I also received a letter from the Historic District Commission members at that time unanimously supporting my appointment and recomended myself along with 3 other people. I have always voted in ways I think are appropriate and never once has Mayor Williamson told me how to vote. In fact if you look at past meetings, I have voted against things the Mayor wanted including the demolition of homes on Stone Street (old funeral home properties).The first Manning Court Vote I voted against demolition and the second time I simply voted not to rescind my previous vote. I also voted against the vinyl windows to be installed at Flint Odyssey House's Marion Hall ( the old Flint Tavern Hotel ), which was another project the Mayor supported.[/b]

I genuinely like both Ryan and Terry, and support and appreciate all their efforts to improve this city. Their endorsements of Williamson are all the more confusing and frustrating given this commitment and history. Is Terry pandering to the voters he assumes are already in Williamson’s pocket for his own campaign for a judgeship? Who knows? Is Eashoo acting on a sense obligation resulting from his appointment to the Historic District Commission by Williamson? Who knows? But there is plenty of reason to be suspicious of their support for Williamson.

Bob Mabbitt

EASHOO RESPONDS: I think your a great guy and also do a lot for the City of Flint Bob. We are always going to disagree and we need to learn to agree to disagree. I haven't said I was voting for one candiate or another, however I did say that Mayor Don Williamson can't be beat. I think the city is in better shape now that it has in a long time. I also think that Mayor Williamson has brought the city together as far as racial issues. Under our past Mayor, our city was so divided I am suprised we made it out of his administration.

Last edited by Ryan Eashoo on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Bob do you find the endorsements of these people disappointing as well?

Unions
Flint Fire Fighters Local 352 AFL-CIO
Greater Flint AFL-CIO Council
AFSCME Local 1600, City of Flint Employees
Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters
International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 1106
Communication Workers of America Local 4103
AFSCME Genesee County Employees Local 496
AFSCME Hurley Medical Center LPN Local 875
AFSCME McLaren Hospital Registered Nurses Local 875
AFSCME Mid Michigan Road Commissions Local 1071
AFSCME City of Flint Employees Local 1600
AFSCME Hurley Medical Center Employees Local 1603
AFSCME City of Flint Supervisors Local 1799
AFSCME Mass Transp. Authority Employees Local 3437
AFSCME Whaley Children Center Local 3723
LEO AFT University of Michigan Local 6244
American Postal Worker Union Local 271

Neighborhood Associations
Flint Police Community Services Bureau
Flint Police Society of Afro-American Police
Flint Fire Fighters Society of Minority Fire Fighters
Court Street Neighborhood Association
Howard Estates Neighborhood Association
S.O.S. Crime Watch
Women on the Move

Community Leaders
Cal Rapson, UAW International Vice President
Rick Toldo, UAW Chair ACC Truck Fleet
Archie Bailey, Chairman County Commissioner
C. Fredrick Robinson, Attorney at Law
Michael Manley, Attorney at Law
Richard Scharrer, Richie’s Fruit Stand
Darryl Buchanan, President, Flint City Council
Kerry Nelson, Third Ward City Council
Sandy Hill, Fourth Ward City Council
James Rutherford, former City of Flint Mayor
Arthur A. Busch, former Prosecutor of Genesee Cnty.
Joe Conroy, former State of Michigan Senator

Clergy
Rev. Lewis Randolph, Antioch Baptist Church
Bishop Odis Floyd, New Jerusalem Gospel Baptist Church
Rev. Henry Fuller, Mt. Calvary Missionary Baptist Church
Rev. Leroy Shelton, Christ Fellowship Church
Pastor Urundi Knox, Ebenezer Ministries Church
Bishop M. C. Akins, Heavenly Host Full Gospel Church
Bishop Roger Jones, Greater Holy Temple
Rev. Arthur Pointer, Metropolitan Baptist Church
Rev. Kevilin Jones, Sr., Bountiful Love Church
Rev. Major Stewart, Gethsemane Missionary Baptist Church
Rev. F. O. Hockenhull, First Trinity Missionary Baptist Church
Rev. Samuel Marsh, Civic Heights Church of God
Rev. Benny Stribling, Judah Full Gospel Church
Rev. Orlando Goodman, St. Luke Baptist Church
Rev. Derrick Aldridge, Second Chance Church
Rev. Arthur Lee
Rev. Robert Smith, Sr.
Rev. James Gill
Rev. Johnny Kidd
Rev. James Walker
Rev. Harold Jones

Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintWorker67
F L I N T O I D

Good Work Bob Mabbit! Call those boys out on this, I wondered the same thing. I wonder if Terry and Ryan are going to still be eating dinner at Red Rooster with mayor don after the mayor loses?

Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:16 pm 
FlintWorker67
F L I N T O I D

What? That was a total blow off Bob, Terry just blew smoke up your ass.

quote:
Public D schreef:
Thank you for the prompt response, Terry. Yes, we can agree to disagree. However, I was still hoping for more concrete reasons for your support of Williamson. I understand a Flint Journal letter is not the best forum for such a detailed breakdown of support. But that doesn't mean blanket statements and groundless cause/effect connections should be made falsely in any format. And the 'big picture, broad brush, as long as it happened under Williamson's watch' viewpoint you claim Flint voters take is, in my opinion, rather demeaning to Flint voters. And it is by no means changes the fact that the mayor has had nothing to do with most of the 'successes' you give him credit for. Aside from the jail (for which I made no arguement pro or con), paving some streets and building some bridges, I fail to see evidence of the strong economic leadership you refer to. I look forward to hearing verifiable examples of this economic leadership - or social, political, environmental, educational leadership for that matter.

Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:18 pm 
FlintWorker67
F L I N T O I D

Ryan I think your a good guy, Dan McPhail, Mike Loynes and all of us worked with your dad. I know your a good guy, and thank you for all you have done for this city. Hell, I knew you when you were knee high to a grass hopper. I can see you being mayor one day Ryan, but don't let Mayor Don ruined your life.

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Bob, I understand your concerns and will address them. I am very excited about The City of Flint right now, more than I ever have been. I think the colleges, Hospitals, Downtwon and neighborhoods are all doing very well. However, I have to set the record straight about how I was appointed. I never received any money, never got a new buick, never won a date with Patsy Lou, yadda yadda yadda. I have tried to get on that commission since Woodrow Stanley was Mayor, he was in the process of putting me on the commission, then the recall happened. So this was something I wanted to do for years. I have a passion for historic preservation and making The City of Flint a better city once again.

quote:
Public D schreef:

Eashoo Response:
We all have the right to vote for whomever we choose, people support different people for different reasons.

[b]
EASHOO RESPONSE:
EASHOO RESPONSE: [/b] Williamson never directly or indirectly talked to me about wanting to be on the Historic District Commission. Let the record state that my appointment first started through Ed Kurtz and was going through the proper channels when he was head of the City. I did send a letter to Mayor Williamson expressing my desire to sit on The Historic District Commission. I then received a phone call from a secretary in the mayor's office asking if my interest still existed, in which I responded, "Yes". Never did Mayor Williamson or any member of his administration attach any strings to my appointment. In fact, the people supporting my appointment were Flint City Council members (9 of them) and the Genesee County Historical Society. I also received a letter from the Historic District Commission members at that time unanimously supporting my appointment and recomended myself along with 3 other people. I have always voted in ways I think are appropriate and never once has Mayor Williamson told me how to vote. In fact if you look at past meetings, I have voted against things the Mayor wanted including the demolition of homes on Stone Street (old funeral home properties).The first Manning Court Vote I voted against demolition and the second time I simply voted not to rescind my previous vote. I also voted against the vinyl windows to be installed at Flint Odyssey House's Marion Hall ( the old Flint Tavern Hotel ), which was another project the Mayor supported.[/b]

Bob Mabbitt

EASHOO RESPONDS: I think your a great guy and also do a lot for the City of Flint Bob. We are always going to disagree and we need to learn to agree to disagree. I haven't said I was voting for one candiate or another, however I did say that Mayor Don Williamson can't be beat. I think the city is in better shape now that it has in a long time. I also think that Mayor Williamson has brought the city together as far as racial issues. Under our past Mayor, our city was so divided I am suprised we made it out of his administration.

Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:20 pm 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Yes. Anybody with any knowledge of how the Williamson political machine really works would be disappointed to see a single endorsement. But honestly, that list is more of an indication of how that well-oiled status quo machine operates than it is a trustworthy guide for voters wanting growth and change.

And Ryan, I never insinuated that any vote or decision you've made as a Historic District comissioner had anything to with the mayor's wishes. I was simply pointing out that you were appointed by him.

Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:57 pm 
Rushmoore
F L I N T O I D

Ryan and Terry backing the Don just shows they are fools, Terry wants to be city clerk again when the Don buys more seats in the next Council, and Ryan wants money and the Don has it.
Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:40 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Anyone really believe that a change of mayors will actually bring Flint back from the grave when the state just got hammered with the largest tax increase in history which is sure to make even more business' abandon Mi let alone decide to relocate to the downtroden Flint area. Such is liberal trickle down economics which I understand more of the same is once again in the works.
quote:
381 Days until Election Day

MORNING UPDATE:

Governor Granholm and legislative Democrats jammed through the largest TAX INCREASE in Michigan’s history…and now they are threatening to “shut down” government again? The Democrats refuse to end their “tax and spend” ways

Last edited by twotap on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:55 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Ladies and gentlemen...I must take the time to notify you that hell has officially frozen over.

Let the record be loud and clear...I freely admit....

that.....

(It's hard to say, but please give me credit
for at least admitting)

I....

AGREE WITH PUBLIC D.

I can only hope and dream that some day Public D might also agree with me on another topic.
Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:17 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Well, people have the right to vote for whomever they want. Secondly, we should learn to agree to disagree. I haven't always agreed wtih other people, but i have always been respectful to other peoples views.

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:40 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: