FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Mayoral campaign
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who do you think will win the election?
Williamson
62%
 62%  [ 10 ]
Walling
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
BPinFlint
F L I N T O I D

Growing it out since Semi-Pro announced? By the looks of your Farrah Fawcett-feathered-to-the-heavens-locks I thought you were growing it out for Charlies Angels 3!
Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:16 pm 
last time here

oh my...gettin kinda personal here.

GO DON GO!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:13 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I gotta say as I gaze at the avatar photo of mr Eashoo I aint seein much resemblence.
Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:53 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

That's true, twotap...but the avatar looks nothing like today. In fact, I saw him on ABC 12 news a few weeks ago and it's even longer than in this video. Not that Ryan is anywhere near as attractive as Farah.

Link

Last edited by FlintConservative on Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:17 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

They are doing Charlie's Angels 3 Brian?

quote:
BPinFlint schreef:
Growing it out since Semi-Pro announced? By the looks of your Farrah Fawcett-feathered-to-the-heavens-locks I thought you were growing it out for Charlies Angels 3!

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:
Let's see...do we want a giant douche or a turd sandwich?

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=4284258

(dang it...can't remember how to post the vid...HELP!)

I want to thank FC for providing me with an epiphany here....

for a long time I was watching this mayoral contest with more than a modicrum of confusion.....

FC has shown me the light...I once was blind, but now I see.

This really is all about...

a douche bag....

or a turd sandwich.

Its pretty clear to me which one is which in terms of the mayoral race.

thanks FC...

now if only we could get some rapper gang to slaughter all the PETA members and allow us to maintain the mooing cow as the mascot of Flint...

that was a great episode, especially when Stan finds out his single vote really REALLY didn't matter.

[though I think the ignorant sheeple bests reflects the average modern American voter].

I think overall, a turd sandwich appeals to a greater portion of the public than a douche bag though. Just like in South Park!!

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:32 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

If you'll recall that episode, the turd sandwich was a complete package, unlike the giant douche.

And I don't think I've ever been the basis for an epiphany. I feel sooooo important!

And another thing...saw a bumper sticker that made me laugh uncontrollably:

People Eating Tasty Animals
Post Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:24 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
though I think the ignorant sheeple bests reflects the average modern American voter.

Your analogy may certainly be proven true very soon.
Post Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:31 am 
last time here

well, perhaps more are tired of attempting to rule the planet for profit.
i remember a time when there really was compassionate conservatism.
now thats just a farce!

Post Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:49 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Thats probably why the Hildabeast is so popular with the ChiComs. After all ya gotta remember old slick dick Willie got them well on there way to an A1 nuke program. Now thats compassion. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

The candidate's unparalleled fundraising success relies largely on the least-affluent residents of New York's Chinatown -- some of whom can't be tracked down.
By Peter Nicholas and Tom Hamburger, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
October 19, 2007
NEW YORK -- Something remarkable happened at 44 Henry St., a grimy Chinatown tenement with peeling walls. It also happened nearby at a dimly lighted apartment building with trash bins clustered by the front door.

And again not too far away, at 88 E. Broadway beneath the Manhattan bridge, where vendors chatter in Mandarin and Fujianese as they hawk rubber sandals and bargain-basement clothes.

All three locations, along with scores of others scattered throughout some of the poorest Chinese neighborhoods in Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx, have been swept by an extraordinary impulse to shower money on one particular presidential candidate -- Democratic front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Dishwashers, waiters and others whose jobs and dilapidated home addresses seem to make them unpromising targets for political fundraisers are pouring $1,000 and $2,000 contributions into Clinton's campaign treasury. In April, a single fundraiser in an area long known for its gritty urban poverty yielded a whopping $380,000. When Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) ran for president in 2004, he received $24,000 from Chinatown.

At this point in the presidential campaign cycle, Clinton has raised more money than any candidate in history. Those dishwashers, waiters and street stall hawkers are part of the reason. And Clinton's success in gathering money from Chinatown's least-affluent residents stems from a two-pronged strategy: mutually beneficial alliances with powerful groups, and appeals to the hopes and dreams of people now consigned to the margins.

Clinton has enlisted the aid of Chinese neighborhood associations, especially those representing recent immigrants from Fujian province. The organizations, at least one of which is a descendant of Chinatown criminal enterprises that engaged in gambling and human trafficking, exert enormous influence over immigrants. The associations help them with everything from protection against crime to obtaining green cards.

Many of Clinton's Chinatown donors said they had contributed because leaders in neighborhood associations told them to. In some cases, donors said they felt pressure to give.

The other piece of the strategy involves holding out hope that, if Clinton becomes president, she will move quickly to reunite families and help illegal residents move toward citizenship. As New York's junior senator, Clinton has expressed support for immigrants and greater family reunification. She is also benefiting from Chinese donors' naive notions of what she could do in the White House.

Campaign concerns

As with other campaigns looking for dollars in unpromising places, the Clinton operation also has accepted what it later conceded were improper donations. At least one reported donor denies making a contribution. Another admitted to lacking the legal-resident status required for giving campaign money.

Clinton aides said they were concerned about some of the Chinatown contributions.

"We have hundreds of thousands of donors. We are proud to have support from across New York and the country from many different communities," campaign spokesman Howard Wolfson said. "In this instance, our own compliance process flagged a number of questionable donations and took the appropriate steps to be sure they were legally given. In cases where we couldn't confirm that, the money was returned."

The Times examined the cases of more than 150 donors who provided checks to Clinton after fundraising events geared to the Chinese community. One-third of those donors could not be found using property, telephone or business records. Most have not registered to vote, according to public records.

And several dozen were described in financial reports as holding jobs -- including dishwasher, server or chef -- that would normally make it difficult to donate amounts ranging from $500 to the legal maximum of $2,300 per election.

Of 74 residents of New York's Chinatown, Flushing, the Bronx or Brooklyn that The Times called or visited, only 24 could be reached for comment.

Many said they gave to Clinton because they were instructed to do so by local association leaders. Some said they wanted help on immigration concerns. And several spoke of the pride they felt by being associated with a powerful figure such as Clinton.

New take, old game

Beyond what it reveals about present-day campaign fundraising, Chinatown's newfound role in the 2008 election cycle marks another chapter in the centuries-old American saga of marginalized ethnic groups and newly arrived immigrants turning to politics to improve their lot.

In earlier times, New York politicians from William "Boss" Tweed to Fiorello LaGuardia gained power with the support of immigrants. So did politicians in Philadelphia, Cleveland, Chicago and other big cities.

Like many who traveled this path, most of the Chinese reported as contributing to Clinton's campaign have never voted. Many speak little or no English. Some seem to lead such ephemeral lives that neighbors say they've never heard of them.
Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:05 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Kentucky Fried Chicken Anyone??? lol

Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

i was in meijers yesterday....did you realize that friggin MUSHROOMS
in the jar are imported from china???? damn!!!! the honorable george
W has given away the farm!!!! Embarassed Crying or Very sad Mad Mad Crying or Very sad Embarassed

Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:07 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Maybe, but need I remind you libs that George W aint running. Rolling Eyes And now back to the Mayors race. Laughing
Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 am 
The Mole
F L I N T O I D

I find it interesting that in a story in Sunday's Journal http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1192942276134560.xml&coll=5&thispage=1 Williamson and his minions are attacking Walling for getting funds from sources outside the Flint area.

quote:
Williamson campaign aide Joe Wilson sees such outside influences as
corrupting the political process and believes Walling is cashing in on it more than ever seen in Flint's history.

"It sure raises suspicions in my mind that people from outside of Flint are trying to control the city of Flint with money," Wilson said. "It should make the citizens resentful."
It's funny how he sees someone raising money from outside sources as suspicious, yet car-thief Williamson's campaign is being run from money derived from the dealership, which sits in Flint Township. On top of that, every thing the car-thief has done in this election can be deemed suspicious.

quote:
Williamson said he was concerned because he believes Walling is taking donations from individuals who do business with the city or want to do business with the city.

"What he's doing is selling his soul to raise money," Williamson said. "These people aren't giving him money for nothing. They want something. "

I about choked when I read that one!!

The Don!! The very man who has:
---Given a high-paying job to his wife's best friend, in exchange for an endorsement,
---Given a job to the son's of several prominent pastors, in exchange for their endorsement,
---Given money to many area churches and block club, in exchange for votes and endorsements,
---Given job to Both Joe Conroy and Joe Wilson in exchange for their support,
is now accusing Walling of being a whore??

I guess he should know what a whore is since he is nothing but a pimp himself. The real whores are the ones who took money and jobs from "King Don"

Peggy and Bob Cook, Joe Conroy, Joe Wilson, the five members of the Citizen's Services Bureau, Charles Young, Sally Haywood, Marvin Jennings Jr., Marcus Randolph, Mike Vance, Mercedes Kinnee, Daryl Buchanan, Kerry Nelson, Jackie Poplar, Sandy Hill, The entire Muma family, and James Rutherford all received jobs from the crook and now voice their support for him.

To paraphrase the Don, these people weren't given something for nothing, something was expected of them in return.

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:55 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

What I thought was more ironic was Joe Wilson, who lives in Grand Blanc, and works/accepts money from the Williamson campaign, commenting on the number of out-of-towners working/contributing to the Walling campaign.... Kind of the pot calling the kettle black.
Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: