FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Downtown Revitalization Paper - Flint
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

For my Community Development and Downtown Revitalization class, I need to write a paper about a large city's efforts to revitalize its downtown in the last ten years.

I plan on asking other sources for info, like the DDA maybe and such, but since I consider most of the people on FlintTalk to be intelligent, aware of downtown happenings, and most of all, opinionated, I would really like your input.

What are some things Flint has done or tried to do in the last ten years to revitalize its downtown? In your opinion, were they successful? Did if fail miserably? or does it still remain to be seen?

This is a college paper, and although I doubt many people on here care about anonymity, I'm not going to publish anyone's names, or anything like that. Just trying to gather info.

Thanks a bunch!
Tegan
Post Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:13 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Only the last 10 years? Darn...that leaves out Auto World and Water Street Pavilion, 2 of our greatest showcases.

Seriously, though, you ought to try to talk to Tim Herman at the GRCC.
Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:11 pm 
last time here

actually, if you said the last 20 years there wouldn't have been much!!
gee.........kinda bleak isn't it! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Post Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:06 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Only the last 10 years? Darn...that leaves out Auto World and Water Street Pavilion, 2 of our greatest showcases.

Good Point.

There have been two attempts I can think of recently. Both for the developement of those apartments downtown. REcently they colasped. Before that the prior investor was run out by the current Mayor.

The best I can think of latelty is the activities they are attempting to bring to down town. The Car shows and such. If I was writing a paper. I would probably be looking at everything that has been attempted and pointing out that none of it has been maintained. The most recent was the arch's. Which look good right now. I'm concerned how long these will last and if they will be maintained.

The problem is getting people to come to downtown. As long as Flint continues to be in the Top Ten in Crime in the Nation. People are not going to go downtown. No matter how safe it actually is there.
Post Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

The problem is getting people to come to downtown. As long as Flint continues to be in the Top Ten in Crime in the Nation. People are not going to go downtown.
quote:

That pretty much sums up any paper written on downtown Flint. Unless their is a foot race or car show going on why would anyone venture down there? Confused
Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:53 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Thanks for all your input! If anyone has any more, I'm still collecting data.

The funny thing about crime downtown, my professor did a study on downtowns, albeit smaller downtowns, and found that crime, parking, and streetscapes were three things that had the least determination of the health of a downtown.

The three issues that had the most impact? retail variety, collaboration between businesses, government, banks, and other organizations, and character/historical identity.

Still, these are on smaller downtowns, so I dunno if the situation changes for large downtowns...
Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:47 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Tegan schreef:
Thanks for all your input! If anyone has any more, I'm still collecting data.

The funny thing about crime downtown, my professor did a study on downtowns, albeit smaller downtowns, and found that crime, parking, and streetscapes were three things that had the least determination of the health of a downtown.

The three issues that had the most impact? retail variety, collaboration between businesses, government, banks, and other organizations, and character/historical identity.

Still, these are on smaller downtowns, so I dunno if the situation changes for large downtowns...

But were those things the cause or effect of a healthy downtown?
Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:45 am 
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:

quote:

Good Point.

There have been two attempts I can think of recently. Both for the developement of those apartments downtown. REcently they colasped. Before that the prior investor was run out by the current Mayor.

The best I can think of latelty is the activities they are attempting to bring to down town. The Car shows and such. If I was writing a paper. I would probably be looking at everything that has been attempted and pointing out that none of it has been maintained. The most recent was the arch's. Which look good right now. I'm concerned how long these will last and if they will be maintained.

The problem is getting people to come to downtown. As long as Flint continues to be in the Top Ten in Crime in the Nation. People are not going to go downtown. No matter how safe it actually is there.

No apartments in downtown collasped Ted Surprised , a mized uused project containing ground floor commercial space, 8 loft apartments, and the headquarters of rowe that was under construction collasped. I would note that the building was under construction , that rowe is still commited(120 plus employees) and the rublle is being cleared and the developers hope to countinue reconstruction by early december.

Also there are plans to turn the character and durant into student housing, as well as commercial/office space and loft apartments. These plans are finally, after years of false hopes and bs, appear to be more than a pipe dream and actually possible. Both these projects are going to be finished by early 2009.

The Land Bank has broken ground on building 7 new houses and renovating 5-7 in historic Carriage Town. They are also converting the berridge into condos and are planning to revitalize riverbank park.

Um Flint is building 310 bed 21 million dollar studen housing.

Uptown developments is working on the 8 million wade trime project, which invloves the construction of a new 3 story building and the renovation of two adjacent buildings, bringing 4 loft apartments, wade trim, some wnem offices, a plaza and commercial space to downtown. They are also working on the community foundation building that is moving CFGF offices to saginaw street, two loft apartments and commercial space. They also recently solf a vacant lot and a vacant building to a other developer who plans on turning the space into a plaza, apartments, office space and commercial space.

The Capitol is in the works to be brought back and a new 10 million dollar modern parking deck is being broken ground in spring.

Rowe Building

CFGF Building

Wade Trim Project

Classic Taylor Building
http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2007/10/medium_2007105ClassicTailor.jpg

Um Flint Dorms

Character Inn
Durant

Capitol

new lofts

New Flint journal
Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:32 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The Flint Journal Picture; is that a rendering of a new building? They spent 31 million on a new press facility and circulation & revenues continue to drop. They're talking about outsourcing their building maintenance and combining the classified department with Saginaw's. They're going to offer buyouts to employees, including the newsroom staff. If that's a new building, or a remodel of the existing one, who will pay for it?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Can anyone remember when there has been more happening in Downtown Flint then there has in the last 7 years?

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

And of course who would ever question what a professor had to say. Rolling Eyes
Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:59 pm 
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

One thing I can say about the people who come to the car show and the Crim is that they are pleasantly surprised by what is going on here. I did not hear one negative thing from anyone. A lot of them said they would be back.
Tegan, Did you get my email about a person I thought you should contact?
You could also talk to Freeman Greer he is the chair of the DSBA. He is at GAV associates.
Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Probably true that when ya have several thousand law abiding citizens gathered in downtown some of them like myself probably legally armed under MIs CPL law that their aint gonna be much mischief created by the punks. On the other hand a couple of liberal looking (cant we all just get along) folks wandering the streets could find themselves wishing they were somewhere else. Smile
Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:22 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Whoa yay lots of feedback.

Yes, Lunchlady, I got your email, thank you! I will have to give him a call or something.

twotap, I don't believe everything a professor has to say. actually this professor actually told us to question him because he doesn't have all the answers, but he did show us the raw data that he collected.

flintconservative, good question, but I think it works hand in hand. after all, if there are no businesses downtown that people want to go to, why the heck would they go at all? regardless of whether it is safe or not. same thing with the cooperation between agencies. if agencies are constantly fighting one another, it is not a good atmosphere for business retention or generation. the problem with downtown retail is the fact that not only are downtown businesses independant, they are also interdependant.

Pachuco, great pictures, but aren't most of them computer generated? I will be curious to see how all of the proposed designs turn out in reality. Also, isn't the Flint Journal building technically protected as a "historic district?" I think it was intended to be originally. Maybe that changed over the years, but if it DIDN'T change, how can they justify the remodel?

Thanks again for all the feedback :)

Tegan
Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:12 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well if the above posts prove anything it is that their are still lots of folks who believe a city only needs a coat of paint or a few new buildings to be brought back from extinction. I wish you lots of luck cause as history especially Flints history has shown your gonna need it.
Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:11 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: