FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Liasion fired from job
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
flintteach
F L I N T O I D

I'm surprised some of YOU didn't jump on this topic. I suppose YOU wouldn't though.. because Drew was doing his job by trying to keep our STUDENTS and SCHOOL safe ! Welcome to MY world DAILY !

Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I don't see no Female sheep on this forum!

OK, Who is Drew?
I take it he is a liason on some sort?
Possibly workign in the schools, since you are a teacher?

Can't expect people to know everything going on in this community. That's why we need your input and observation to help keep us informed. So could you add a little more to this story?
I have figured out that drew was obviously fired. how about a few more details.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I take it this is what you were talking about?
While I can possibly understand the officers frustration when dealing with these little angels. It appears he was out of line. Way out of line. but, we do not have all the facts.

Police officer fired for school bus incidentMisdemeanor assault and battery charge filed
By Cathy Shafran
FLINT (WJRT) - (04/08/06)-- A Flint police officer finds himself on the other side of the law tonight, fired for allegedly beating up a teenager while on duty.

The officer is now charged with a misdemeanor and is off the force after law enforcement officials watched a graphic video of the encounter.

"The officer struck the victim with a closed fist, also grabbed him about the head, and pushed him into the bus window," said Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton.

The video that continually rolls on school buses was turned over to the Flint school superintendent, who then turned it over to the police.

After viewing it, Prosecutor Leyton issued a warrant for the misdemeanor charge of assault and battery against 40-year-old officer Andrew Gauthier, a 16-year veteran of the force.

"The officer's employment with the department was terminated yesterday afternoon and he is obviously no longer employed as of yesterday afternoon," explained Flint Police Chief Gary Hagler.

Authorities say the teen was not a student at Central High. They wouldn't elaborate about why the liaison officer was chasing the 15-year-old, other than to say the officer believe he shouldn't be on the bus or school grounds.

But no matter what was suspected, they say there was no justification for what happened.

"If he had a reasonable belief that the student committed the crime, he should have arrested the student," Leyton said.

Flint School Superintendent Walter Milton agreed that this was not the type of officer they wanted around. "Nowhere, nowhere in our vicinity. Our children don't deserve that."

Gauthier was arraigned this morning in 68th district court and released.

A trial date has yet to be set.

The misdemeanor charges against him carry a maximum 93 days in jail and/or a $500 fine.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
flintteach
F L I N T O I D

Drew was doing his job. No one realizes the pressure of being a teacher, aide, security guard, or liasion officer at a Flint community school. One can't handle these "thugs" with kid gloves. I'm sure Drew didn't risk his job over a 15 year old punk ! He is trained in this type of "warfare" ! Those who don't know Drew should know this. He is about 6'3" and a big guy. C'mon now, if he really punched a student and "smashed" his head into a bus window, don't you think it would leave a mark. Bet his "parents" called Fieger and file a lawsuit. The same parents who had no inkling where little Johnny was all day and allowed him to come to school where he didn't belong. I won't be surprised if the "parents" don't cry the race card !

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
katy
F L I N T O I D

may i ask what school you are from?
i volunteer with the schools every day. i do everything from work in the office to pulling kids into the office. i sub and i do paperwork.
ive done truancy and sat with kids who were afraid to be picked up by those who had guardianship of them
i have sat and listened to the 1st grader who talks about spending 3 days in a house with his dead mom before anyone found him and then sent to an aunt that cannot mamage herself mainless children
ive seen horrors that i thought, growing up, were only on television and although i do not excuse this officers behavior, i can see a breaking point.
we need, and more so the kids need a constant that they can trust in this community, they do not have it at home. His parents are probobly in trouble also, students are dealt with confidentially in the system unless they have broke some huge law like murder. im sure there will be more heard on the case. nothing out there can be seen from one side and understood completely.
i have 2 children in the system now.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:00 pm 

so beating a kid to a pulp is his job, becuase he was skipping ? Do you know what he told that busdriver, he said look away, you don't need to see this and beat the kid. They even videotaped it.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:32 pm 
flintteach
F L I N T O I D

Beat? Skipping? Where do you get your info? I believe if he beat this kid to a pulp.. he would be facing more than misdemeanor charges. Too bad you don't have access to my email at school. But then again... too bad !

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:01 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Well Teach, how abouts filling us in?
you seem to be speaking from a position of knowing. So how about letting us in so we can be in the know also.

I'm sure there is plenty more to this story that what we got from the media. How about a few details?
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:17 pm 
katy
F L I N T O I D

I believe the two of you are talking about 2 different things that has happened.
There are things that happen like this on both sides of the desk everyday in every school and district. Each has to be dealt with individually.
The majority of things, you will never hear about...
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:05 pm 
Adam

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=4068117 is the actual link to the story.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:33 pm 

No dear, my cousin Deborah works for the flint schools bus ervices, right off dort highway. She knows the bus driver and the bus had a videotape.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:52 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

True, but we don't have access to the Video tape. Mr. Leyton was correct. If the young man needed to be arrested. He should have been arrested. Not ruffed up!
Did the little darling probably deserve what he got? I'll bet he did. But, it's not up to Police to be these kids parents. Even when the Parents don't act like parents. The officers job is to maintain order. Ruffing up a punk isn't in his job description anywhere. We need officers to enforce laws.
This is the biggest problem we have in Flint. Lack of Enforcement. Instead they think they can possibly leave an impression somehow, by abusing their authority. This is not something new! If they are going to fire this officer over this. That policy needs to be enforced right down the line. The next time Tyrone or one of his officer buddies harass someone. He should be dealt with just the same way. The problem is. If they did. We'd have a very small police dept left!

Obviously officers don't have a clue as to what the department’s policies are? Or they are not reinforced. http://www.cityofflint.net/code_of_conduct.htm
This is what I'm talking about. Combined with poor leadership. No wonder this kind of thing happens all the time.

I don't know if it's just because I'm paying more attention, or if we are finally making a difference. But, finally we do see the beginnings of something being done about these problems. Only we only hear and see the ones that make the news.

If we had an Ombudsman we'd really know how often this stuff goes on. Unless we get a Williamson appointee. Hopefully Mr. Gonzales can keep that from happening.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:30 pm 
rapunzel

I doubt even the ombudsman would have investigative powers in the schools.

There is much that goes on behind school doors and unless we have access to flint teach website closed mouths from all employed.
You have to know exactly what to ask for in a FOIA request.

Now a liason officer I believe is still employed by the Flint Police Dept. and therefore in within bounds of Ombudsman investigation.

No Officer has the right to lay hands on a child. Still if some children would have been kept in line by their parents such extreme measures would not happen.

We need to support security in the schools but if Hagler fired him there must have been proof.

The public has no concept of the kids that attack teachers, this is taken care of in house without media. Closed door board suspensions.

Bring back the paddle at the younger age. Teach respect before they are to big to learn it.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:20 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I agree, however, Teaching respect and discipline is the responsibility of Parents. Many of which aren't doing their job.
quote:
No Officer has the right to lay hands on a child
Unless he is apprehending him to be arrested.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:39 am 
katy
F L I N T O I D

[quote="rapunzel"]I doubt even the ombudsman would have investigative powers in the schools.

There is much that goes on behind school doors and unless we have access to flint teach website closed mouths from all employed.
You have to know exactly what to ask for in a FOIA request.

Now a liason officer I believe is still employed by the Flint Police Dept. and therefore in within bounds of Ombudsman investigation.

No Officer has the right to lay hands on a child. Still if some children would have been kept in line by their parents such extreme measures would not happen.

We need to support security in the schools but if Hagler fired him there must have been proof.

The public has no concept of the kids that attack teachers, this is taken care of in house without media. Closed door board suspensions.

Bring back the paddle at the younger age. Teach respect before they are to big to learn it.[/right on repunzel..i'd vote for that!!]
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:47 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: