FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Toolfist Book Club

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

At the risk of sounding self-important and the pseudo intellectual that I am, I'd like to start recommending books for leisurely reading that can really challenge/influence a persons set of beliefs and perspectives:

Most of you will choose to ignore..........but if just a couple will check them out, I think you'll find them enlightening.

#1 Freakonomics: Freakonomics [Revised and Expanded]: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything (Hardcover)
by Steven D. Levitt (Author), Stephen J. Dubner (Author)

Every American should read this book to at least test their faith in their current belief systems and paradigms of thinking. Most of us are flat out wrong.

A couple of intriguing excepts:

1) While suburban white American punks are trying to “keep it real” by playing the role of hard-core urban thugs............the drug cartels of the urban dealers actually use methodologies identical to the CEO fathers of the suburban wanna be thugs (strict organizational charts, incentives for exceptional performance, a disproportionate dispersal of wealth at the top line of management (read the book for a good explanation)

2) All economic encounters, transactions are based on incentives. And whenever incentives are a reward, people WILL try to find ways to circumvent the system (i.e. California Teachers who cheated in order to raise their children’s test scores and the ingenious methods that were used to catch them)

3) By far the most controversial topic covered. The dramatic drop in crime across the nation between the 1990's and 2000's had more to do with the increased number of abortions of unwanted children then any other factor including increased police presence on the street or innovative crime control.

Plain and simply put: an unwanted child is more likely to resort to the desperation of violent crime and the abortion wave in the 70's and 80's eliminated thousands of unwanted children.

Tough pills to swallow................but as Galileo said: ........The truth is the truth, don't fear it, embrace it and learn from it so we can improve the human condition.

Last edited by JBToolFist on Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:34 pm 
last time here

actually, it makes sense to me!!
without love children suffer. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:57 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: