FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Schools Plan

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam

I went and heard Walter Milton's plan for Flint Schools last night at Flint Central High School. It seems like a great plan. Among many other things we are going to be having an international Baccalaurete program that only a few schools in our state actually have and none in our county currently have. This is an extremely rigorous program rigorous program requiring among other things two foreign languages. This will be a much higher program than the current advanced program Flint has.

What I also think is great the at the same time irratates me about the city government is that Flint schools have been contacting ALL the fortune five hundred companies to set up partnerships. This could help bring jobs to the city. Has the city of Flint bothered to contact any Fortune 500 companies about Buick City or even about locating in any other parts of the city? I'm glad Superintendent Milton is so proactive but I'm not so sure the rest of the city is proactive.

On another note I feel there is a chance Flint Central High School is one of the best in the county. Test scores don't tell everything. You can't force kids to learn. I was speaking to the Flint Central principle about possibly volunteering to tutor and she said kids to want to stay after school and get tutored. So Mr. Milton does have his work cut out for him. You can't force kids to learn but he does want to educate all students which could be very very difficult.

On a side note I have also heard that Flint Central high School has had two Rhodes scholars in the past 20 years???

Adam F
Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:19 pm 
Adam

I tracked down and have attempted to recruit one of our Rhodes scholars. His name is Dayne Walling http://www.daynewalling.com/ is his website and http://www.msu.edu/unit/msuaa/magazine/s96/walling.htm tells about him. "His personal essay for the Rhodes competition involved urban environmental policy. "It was about improving the quality of urban environments," he explains. "It dealt with issues like recycling, energy, plants and gardens, and land-use." I wonder if Flint could put the essay to use?

Adam Ford
webmaster@mysearchisover.com
Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:30 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: