FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Pets and African Americans (NOT ALL)

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

I think this Mike Vick issue is going to shed much light on a cultural difference that exists between a large segment (NOT ALL) of whites and blacks.

Many (NOT ALL) African Americans can't understand why crazy white people treat their pets like family (NOT ALL). To a large percentage of African Americans (NOT ALL), animals/pets are no more than property and the owner has the right to treat as they feel appropriate.

This is why you're starting to hear utterences from African Americans (NOT ALL) that most white people (NOT ALL) would never dream of saying: i.e., 'they're just dogs! - why should he go to jail?"

(yes I know there are many black people who treat their pets as family and yes I know there are many stupid/crazy white people who think God gave us dominion over the animals and we can do what we wish with them) But I'm talking in generalizations that can't be ignored.

What are your guys' thoughts on this matter?

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:14 pm 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

hmmm....

JB, truthfully, I don't ever think the public dialogue will ever go this far to expose the differences, or similarities between whites and blacks. Yes, I've seen a few articles touch on the issue, and mostly by black writers who aren't widely recognized. But as a whole, the public is too shallow and narrow-minded to ever turn this into an opportunity for understanding.

The majority of the community will (Or already does) vilify Vick for this. Don't get me wrong, what he did was pretty shitty and all, but the day we are more appalled by dogs getting killed when there are kids are being raped and murdered without even a mention is a pretty sad day. For some reason, we've been desensitized to the value of human life and are completely freaked when an NFL QB engages in dogfighting/cruelty. Never mind the wife beaters and murderers that roam the stadiums, ball parks and hockey rinks... I don't even think Rae Carruth got it this bad---and killer-by- association Ray Lewis was freakin MVP of a Super Bowl!

There are many cultural differences between us all, but I wonder...Cockfighting is popular among (not all) hispanics...if a MLB baseball player was involved in cockfighting and was involved in the killing of these 'cocks' or whatever they are...would it get this much press?"

Michael Vick is done. Sponsors wont touch him and he lied to the league. We will continue to be desensitized to HUMAN life and the differences between cultures will continue to go unnoticed.

The only winner here is Joey Harrington.

v

p.s. for a great eye-opener, go see the race exhibit now at the Museum of African American History in Detroit!!!

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

Metro:

You make some good points. I believe you're right when you say Ray Carruth didn't even get it this bad (was he actually the one who pulled the trigger or did he hire somebody?)

I think many people's perception of domesticated animals (rightfully or wrongfully) is similar to our perception of infants (innocent, helpless, precious.) Maybe that's why so many people are stung so badly by what Vick did.

I think to get a similar reaction out of the public, a professional athlete would have to be accused of beating a child.

What Vick did was appalling and I hope he pays a heavy price - but I think your assessment is right: people are more upset about this then they are human suffering. Makes you wonder where we went wrong.

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:08 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

I don't think the cases are the same at all.

Nor do I think more is being made of Vick than Carruth.

I think its because Carruth's actions occurred many years ago, and Vicks are right now. Time dulls our memories.

Carruth is serving a minimum of 18 years 11 months and perhaps longer.

Vick is looking at? what? I've heard 12-18 months.

Vick is a much higher profile player than Carruth ever was, in a larger media market, for a crime that is a little unusual.

I think those things tend to make it seem we pay more attention to Vick & animal abuse than human death. But the justice each will receive will say otherwise.

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:11 pm 
last time here

Very Happy i don't think color has anything to do with it. i believe the
number of blacks who refer to animals as simple "property" are
definately the minority. I'm a black guy and i love animals. just
ask the birds, squirrels and rabbitts who stop by every morning for
breakfast. i personally know of NO blacks who treat animals as Vick
and company do. personally, i view that conduct as cold and sick.
Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:51 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: