FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: What should be done with Genesee Towers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

What Should be done with Genesee Towers?
Renovate it.
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Demolish it.
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 15

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

As for me, I'd like to see it imploded. There is nothing either historically or architecturally significant about this empty white elephant.

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:13 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Do you even know how many people could potentially work in a 172,000 feet of office space?

Personally I'd like to see Flint be a business center instead of a non-profit/government center. I don't see that happening without the Genesee Towers.

It takes money and a good economy to fund government. If the stock market tanks that could put a serious dent in the money we get from the Mott Foundation (2nd biggest building). Flint City, Genesee County and the State of Michigan are already struggling so without some "real" jobs we are pretty much dead in the water. Our non-profit industry has already taken some hits with the loss of GM.

"We want to open the building," he said. "They're playing games. They don't want me to open the building."
V. Kumar Vemulapalli Thursday, February 12, 2004
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Flint-s-Tallest-Step-Clo-t2198.html

I think we would have an incredible city if instead of going out of our way to go after business people we went out of our way to help them and bring them here.

Maybe some day we will care as much about bringing in jobs as we do saving historical houses.

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:38 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Actually, Genesee Towers is architectural unique. How many similar buildings do you see anywhere? Personally, I'm up in the air with the issue. If you can use the building efficiently, go for it. It has parking and its there already. It would be better financially and environmentally to make it work how it is, rather than tear it down and rebuild, or just tear it down and leave nothing.

It's not pretty... and that prevents people from rallying behind it, but its existing space that could be utilized.

But to be totally honest, I'd fight harder to save Durant Hotel or Manning Court any day.
Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:53 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I've got to go with tearing it down.

Richard
Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:34 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:
I've got to go with tearing it down.

Richard

So Richard you would demolish a building that could bring in millions of dollars of tax revenue if renovated, compared to very little if a vacant lot, but you want to save that old funeral home up on clio road? Why do you think it should be demolished, back it up with facts.

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Its part of our skyline, its the tallest building in Flint.
It has potential to serve as office space, parking, condo's, lofts, shops
or dorms. The bones are good in the building, but it needs to get a face lift. A local architect named Freeman Greer has drawings of what that building will look like if the millions in demolition and enviromental monies are put into rehab.

quote:
Flinn's Journal schreef:
As for me, I'd like to see it imploded. There is nothing either historically or architecturally significant about this empty white elephant.

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

if Vemulapalli wants to open the building he has a strange way of showing it.

he hasn't put a dime into maintaining it, to the extent its a hazard to the public at large.

and what about the medical Arts building his wife owns, thats another dump that needs to be torn down.

Has he somehow received the mistaken impression that a slumlord is an important position in US society?

There may be money in somewhere, but not in Flint and it sure isn't a resume/reputation enhancer.

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:16 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I'm going on what I know and that is the place has been empty for years and there seems to be no interested investors to make it a viable building. If it is going to happen then it should be done but, it just appears that is not going to take place.
Plus, the downtown area of Flint is extremely scary which is why there are no investors interested in making it happen. If the old Durant Hotel can get redone and opened into something, that may change the image of downtown Flint. Most importantly it has to be a safe area for any interested parties and that my friends, is the hardest part of the equation.
As far as trying to keep the old Reigle/Collins place, I honestly feel this building could still be a part of the community and my reason is this. It could be reopened as a black owner/operated funeral home providing a service to the black community. The busiest black funeral home in Flint is only blocks away from this place so the business is there. I thought this place would be a good move for Moon but that is not going to happen.
Richard
Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:56 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

The point is if this building is torn down, the chances of another building with the height and square footage being built again in our lifetimes is very unlikely. This building with 5-15 million dollars put into it would be a contributing structure once again!

Some people familiar with the building say it would take between 7-12 million to tear the property down, do proper enviromental and prep the site for new development.

so lets say you can buy it for 1 million + you put 8 million into demo/enviromental thats about 9 million dollars, why renovate the thing?

I am always surprised by how people in Flint do not think outside the box! It
s our achilles heel.

quote:
Richard schreef:
I'm going on what I know and that is the place has been empty for years and there seems to be no interested investors to make it a viable building. If it is going to happen then it should be done but, it just appears that is not going to take place.
Plus, the downtown area of Flint is extremely scary which is why there are no investors interested in making it happen. If the old Durant Hotel can get redone and opened into something, that may change the image of downtown Flint. Most importantly it has to be a safe area for any interested parties and that my friends, is the hardest part of the equation.
As far as trying to keep the old Reigle/Collins place, I honestly feel this building could still be a part of the community and my reason is this. It could be reopened as a black owner/operated funeral home providing a service to the black community. The busiest black funeral home in Flint is only blocks away from this place so the business is there. I thought this place would be a good move for Moon but that is not going to happen.
Richard

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:39 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I can only go on what Ryan says because he is in the business and knows far more than I. I just know Flint either needs to move forward and get it done by renovating it, or move on and get it torn down. It is an eyesore along with many other structures in Flint.

Richard
Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:24 pm 
FlintWorker67
F L I N T O I D

I agree with both of you, I believe like ryan said it could be renovated.
People downtown are out for them selfs, uptown wants to own everything!

quote:
Richard schreef:
I can only go on what Ryan says because he is in the business and knows far more than I. I just know Flint either needs to move forward and get it done by renovating it, or move on and get it torn down. It is an eyesore along with many other structures in Flint.

Richard

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:39 pm 
Charlie
F L I N T O I D

Unfortunately the current owner has abused many other buildings downtown, the Durant the old Genesee Bank Building and now the Genesee Towers. I can't believe his wife makes that much money to let him waste it like he does.

However, unlike the other buildings he has owned, the Towers actually makes him money. He receives over $200,000 a year for all those antennas you see on the roof.

I think the building should be rehabed back into offices, a first class restaurant on the top floor and a few floors of condos or apartments. What a great view. Better than any of the lofts that are being built anywhere downtown. As others have said it would be a mistake to demolish this building especially since it has its own parking.

The only thing Uptown has proposed for this site is another parking lot so that something can be done with the big surface lot.
Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:55 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Amen Charlie, this has to be renovated. I think a high end restaurant on the top floor makes sense! The view would be awesome, and it would be a place people want to go. One of a kind place to go eat!

quote:
Charlie schreef:
Unfortunately the current owner has abused many other buildings downtown, the Durant the old Genesee Bank Building and now the Genesee Towers. I can't believe his wife makes that much money to let him waste it like he does.

However, unlike the other buildings he has owned, the Towers actually makes him money. He receives over $200,000 a year for all those antennas you see on the roof.

I think the building should be rehabed back into offices, a first class restaurant on the top floor and a few floors of condos or apartments. What a great view. Better than any of the lofts that are being built anywhere downtown. As others have said it would be a mistake to demolish this building especially since it has its own parking.

The only thing Uptown has proposed for this site is another parking lot so that something can be done with the big surface lot.

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:11 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I see the votes are swaying more and more towards renovating the towers. Now if only we had the money....
Richard
Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:15 pm 
last time here

the current owner has done nothing. i believe the land bank has no interest in purchasing it. it's a dump and an eyesore. i say give it 1 year to find a buyer and if not sold, tear it down.
Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:37 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: