FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Man throws seriously ill wife over balcony

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Here's one of the extreme results being unable to afford necessary medical care has caused. Not exactly what I'd call euthanasia, but a desperate man kissed his wife before throwing her over the balcony.

Police: Man who couldn't pay for medical care threw wife from balcony | KOMO-TV - Seattle,Wash.
http://www.komotv.com/news/national/9194427.html

By Associated Press
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - A man threw his seriously ill wife four stories to her death because he could no longer afford to pay for her medical care, prosecutors said in charging him with second-degree murder.

For more, see linked story.

[Edited to change title.]

Last edited by 00SL2 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:48 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

what next, "I killed my _________ because [pick one]

a. Bush
b. Cheney
c. global warming
d. the sub-prime lending industry
e. restrictions on illegal immigrants

made life not worth living any longer"

sheesh. Do you really think they could not qualify for medical care. Did they really explore ALL their options, Medicaid etc..... There is no mention of what he did for a living, etc, all we have is HIS statement.

or did a frustrated husband take the quick way out? did the wife decide quality of life was such that life wasn't worth living? see where is Dr Kevorkian when you needed him?

The guy may have murdered his wife. Lets let the investigation play out. I'd like to hear more about the background of this couple.

Post Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:57 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

The Kansas City Star online has more detailed articles with reader's comments at the bottom of each one. The story has generated a deluge of comments, including from friends, acquaintances, and family members.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/story/233876.html
Man charged with throwing wife off balcony to her death

http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/236876.html
Mother talks about daughter killed in fall from apartment balcony
Post Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:59 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

sorry, those links seem to try to load a lot more stuff than the articles. my pc hangs up so I'm not able to read them.

Post Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:09 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
The Kansas City Star online has more detailed articles with reader's comments at the bottom of each one. The story has generated a deluge of comments, including from friends, acquaintances, and family members.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/story/233876.html

By JOYCE TSAI
The Kansas City Star

Stanley ReimerA husband, financially desperate because of his wife’s medical problems, walked her to the balcony of their fourth-floor Kansas City apartment, kissed her, then threw her to her death, according to court documents filed Wednesday.

Stanley Reimer, 51, was charged Wednesday with second-degree murder for allegedly killing Criste Reimer, 47. Her body was found Tuesday night on the pavement outside the Plaza Point Apartments, 4901 Wornall Road.

Reimer was being held Wednesday night in the Jackson County jail on a $250,000 cash bond. His arraignment is scheduled for today.

Efforts to reach Reimer’s attorney were unsuccessful Wednesday night.

In court records filed with the charges, police say Reimer killed his wife because he no longer could afford the avalanche of medical bills from the treatment of her uterine cancer and neurological problems.

When police first questioned Reimer, who was in the apartment when they arrived, he told them “something bad” had happened to his wife, according to the probable-cause statement filed with the charges.

“She didn’t jump,” he said, but didn’t reveal much more.

Detectives said they were suspicious about how Criste Reimer died because her caregiver told them she had numerous health issues and could barely walk. She would have been “physically unable to climb over the railing of the balcony,” the caregiver said, according to the probable-cause statement.

Several hours later, after more questioning, police said they determined Reimer threw his wife from the balcony because he could no longer take care of her medical needs, according to documents.

Criste Reimer had battled numerous medical problems for several years, a fight that drained her physically, according to Jackson County Probate Court records.

Her weight had dropped to 75 pounds, she was partly blind, and she had an extensive history of traumatic brain injury, knee surgeries, neurological disease, hypothyroidism and hydrocephalus. She was also on a host of medications.

When she was admitted to the hospital in April 2006 after repeated falls, her doctors said she had been falling repeatedly over a three-week period, and they noted a “failure to thrive.”

Her medical bills ranged from $700 to $800 a week, and she had no health insurance, according to Probate Court records.

In April, her husband petitioned the court to allow him to sell property she owned in Wheeler County, Texas.

The probate petition sought to sell the Texas property, along with royalty rights, existing wells and other equipment for $20,000 because “there are not sufficient cash funds in the estate to continue payment for the treatment and medication.”

An inventory of her assets at that time showed she had $200 in her checking account, household goods and furnishings valued at $500, an individual retirement account of $4,000, and real property valued at $2,000.

It also showed she was receiving $325 a month in Supplemental Security Income and $400 a month in royalties from the Kaiser-Francis Oil Co.

The Star’s Joe Lambe contributed to this report. To reach Joyce Tsai, call 816-234-4415 or send e-mail to jtsai@kcstar.com.

http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/236876.html
Mother talks about daughter killed in fall from apartment balcony
By TONY RIZZO
The Kansas City Star

The mother of Criste Reimer released several photographs of her daughter on Friday. They showed Reimer’s thin condition in April, left above, and how much weight she had gained by July before leaving her mother’s home. As the family of Criste Reimer began making funeral plans Friday, her mother recounted the last time she saw her daughter — just days before her death.

“Mother, I need to be here,” Dolores McCandless said her daughter told her as she was leaving her mother’s Wichita home a week ago today.

Reimer pounded the kitchen cabinet with her hand as emphasis, McCandless said.

Three days later, Reimer died in a fall from the balcony of the Country Club Plaza apartment she shared with her husband, Stanley Reimer, who is jailed on charges that he threw her to her death.

According to court documents, Stanley Reimer told Kansas City police that he walked with his wife out to the apartment balcony, kissed her and threw her over the railing about four stories to her death. He said that he was having “extreme financial difficulties” and could no longer care for her, the documents said.

McCandless said Friday that if Reimer was no longer able to help his seriously ill wife, she was more than happy to care for her daughter.

“She had a home here, and he knew it,” McCandless said. “She felt safe here.”

Reimer, who suffered a host of medical problems dating to childhood, lived with her mother from April until July, when Stanley Reimer said he was taking her out to dinner but instead took her to Kansas City, according to McCandless and other family members.

McCandless released several pictures of her daughter Friday that show her thin condition in April and how much weight she had gained by July before leaving her mother’s home.

“He wooed her out to dinner for their anniversary,” McCandless said.

Last Saturday was the first time McCandless had seen her daughter since July. She said her daughter’s part-time caregiver drove her to Wichita to pick up clothes.

Stanley Reimer is charged with second-degree murder and is being held on a $250,000 cash bond.

To reach Tony Rizzo, call 816-234-4435 or send e-mail to trizzo@kcstar.com

Post Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

thanks Steve.

from that second article, it doesn't sound like the husband had her best interests to heart. More like, she was suffering under his "care".

please, there are enough fundamental reasons to have the debate about how this country proceeds with health care, we don't need artificial, made-up provocations to inflame or misguide the issues.

Especially some one who uses it as an excuse to end someone elses' life.

Post Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:36 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
thanks Steve.

from that second article, it doesn't sound like the husband had her best interests to heart. More like, she was suffering under his "care".

please, there are enough fundamental reasons to have the debate about how this country proceeds with health care, we don't need artificial, made-up provocations to inflame or misguide the issues.

Especially some one who uses it as an excuse to end someone elses' life.

Amen, Biggie. Well said.
Post Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:41 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Universal health care coverage is great in theory but I think we'd be better off with lower taxes so we could afford our own healthcare. We have the income tax, inflation tax as well as the Federal reserve tax. We could do a lot with an extra $500,000,000,000 to $1,000,000,000,000 in our pockets. We also just sent $30,000,000,000 to Israel which is over $4,000 per person for them. I guess protecting Israel is a higher priority than protecting the U.S. southern border. American tax payers could probably buy a lot of health insurance for even the "meager" $30 billion that our goverment feels is better spent by the Israeli government than by American taxpayers.
Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:56 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: