FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Enough is enough...

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

It is with regret that I look at the loss of Tyrone Croom as Ombudsman. My instincts tell me this City Council does not have the political will to make another good choice. Some who have demeaned the office are doing so again. Croom is gone the council will go through the process again .It is up to the community to stay involved and help force, persuade a quality choice...

Terry Bankert

3/17/06

http://enewsblog.com/terrybankert/

Last edited by terrybankert on Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

You Know, That's how they WIN! They get into their positions of Power, and then do whatever the hell they want. Ignore the will and wishes of the people. And because they are in that position and it takes a good size group to get them out of there once they are in. They continuously ignore us until they get what they want. And we become disenfranchised, and give up. I’m almost ready for a @#$% recall. Recall all of them.

Why can’t we elect people of character? Who don’t look at a political position as a way to better themselves. And looks at it as a way to help look out for the people that elected them. Why can’t we elect people who play by the rules, instead of making them up as they go along. This Mayor and this city council have bastardized the charter and ignored city ordinances from the day they were elected.

Didn’t we the people in 1974 vote on the charter? Didn’t we decide that this was the way we wanted it done. Then these people come along and decide that “They know better than us” Because they were voted into those positions. Those positions require that they follow the charter. Even if it isn’t mandated they have to follow what their constituents want.
Post Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
yaryrret
F L I N T O I D

It is not time for the timid. Staying under the radar is my plan for 30 days. Croom is a good guy but he's gone. What will we get next !!My guess the power structure is in movement. Our best advantage is to agree with the reopening, agree with the 60 days, those that can apply, but become vocal in the community on the ground and here. We will do our own back ground checks. There are other issues we need to get started on, but this is not over.

chow for now...
Post Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:14 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

We need to get some names for our own investigations. I thik you'd be surprised at what some of us can find.

such as
http://www.cityofflint.net/donna_poplar's_case.htm

You can count on me to post anything that is the TRUTH!! I use accusations as sarcasim and exaggeration.

Let's get some names and do some back ground checks.

Hopefully Donna's name will not be available to even vote for next time around.
Post Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

Terry,
Obviously currently the ombudsman situation appears like a failure but in the long wrong I believe we are at least getting back on track as far as we the citizens go. Being new to this city and finding how much political action there really is that goes unreported in the media is encouraging to me. I'm optomistic more action will be coming from the fourth ward but it may be hard for the 4th ward to lead the other 8 wards. I went to the Arlington Heights meeting last night and we may be going door to door this summer. I also think the Dick DeVos campaign might be going door to door this summer as well. I think I might be one of those people going door to door. I think we should start planning things for this summer. Do we want to see any ballot proposals come? I've heard there is support for 2 year council terms? Ted supports eliminating some wards. You can do a charter revision or go item by item. Personally I would like to go item by item.

I'm not convinced the Ombudsman is the majority solution to bringing back Flint. In other words this is just a small battle but definately one worth fighting. In other words i expect tougher battles ahead.

As to Ted's comment I wonder why the council didn't vote Poplar out of contention the first time? This could have forced Jackie to side with Croom and thus eliminate any potential for "deal making". After about 50 rounds I would have started voting to eliminate candidates from contention. It seems to me like after 100 rounds Croom should have been the only option.

I also agree with yaryrret that is it time to move on and continue the ombudsman battle. We accomplished a lot in the previous 60 days. I think we can complish even more in the next 60 days.

Adam Ford
Post Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:36 pm 
rapunzel

Adam,

What does Arlington Hieghts want to go door to door regarding?

TED, needs to check out that crime watch even if he doesn't want to play. Erica has the scoop on FPD and What's up with the hoods in the area. Meetings are at 7pm and she is taking care of business!
Post Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:47 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

going door to door for what?

Also when are these meetings?

7PM puts them at a time I could actually go and be apart of something positive for this city.

The Flint citizen has been a good thing becuase of the "meeting times" Pretty much anytime you have to post. Or work when you can (ie. Ombudsman signs) It's tuff when you work 6 days a week 10 and 1/2 hours a day. Plus school

When and where are these meetings?

I'm definately someone who is willing to share my two cents and also make suggestions. Plus get involved.

Did you see read the last sentencings in the Journal. Had one person in there who got extended probation, for violating his probation while on a tether. Hmmm. I think we need a bigger jail.
Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:19 am 
rapunzel

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
It is with deepest regrets that I look at the loss of Tyrone Croom as Ombudsman. My instincts tell me this City does not have the political will to make another good choice. Some who have demeaned the office are doing so again. My role ends now. It is up to the community.

Terry Bankert

3/17/06

http://enewsblog.com/terrybankert/

Tyrone looks at it with deep regret also!! He was at Roundtable today. He put the integrity of the office first, that sends a clear message! The citizens will not accept less. We the citizens... need to stand behind the task force report and not let it be a document to gather dust. We the citizens... need to hold our council people accountable. We need a bigger jail, we need criminals to know they will get more than a paper ticket with NO teeth! The people voted for what they thought was community police. HOW MANY TIMES CAN THE PEOPLE BE DUPED AND NOT SAY, I AM TIRED OF THIS SHIT AND I AM NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!

The people voted for a city watchdog, not anybodies man!

The people voted in a new council... cough..

You are right, Terry it is up to the community. NO MORE shaking our heads at the latest fiasco at City Hall. It is time for the community to wake up.
Let's educate the voters...let them voice what is needed to the task force in repetition. Then stand behind the peoples voice!

Let it be written.
Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:29 am 
rapunzel

SOME OF THE REPORTS UNDER TERRY BANKERT

10 /7/ 87 A Series of recommendations were made to prevent the
misuse of city employees and facilities for political purposes. It
was also recommended that the Standards of Conduct Boards serve as
the body to review complaints of violations of the proposed policies.

01 / 11/ 88 A report in response to a City Council request for a
proposed Code of Ethics for elected or appointed official.

How would the 87 report apply to the recent council elections?
How would the 88 report apply to the ombudsman selection?

Think about it! RAP
Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:49 am 
Adam

Rapunzel,
Arlington Heights is planning on going to go door to door recruiting for people to come to the meetings and perhaps give out valuable information like housing grants, home improvement loans etc. There is a good chance I might get in on this as I might be going door to door for the DeVos campaign anyways so I might as well help them out. I think I might also try and get the Beechwood park club going as well which is my neighborhood.
Adam
Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:27 pm 
Rapunzel

Adam,

Two birds with one stone is not always a good thing. You can not mix a political campaign with a crime watch recruit. People will falsely connect your candidate with housing grants, home improvement loans and the crime watch.

You might be able to do so if your candidate were for city council and promoting grants for his ward. I don't think Erica has a 501C3 not sure.

You might want to check with your organizer for candidate. What you can and can't do on a political campaign.

RAP
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:19 am 
Adam

Good ideas. I'll definately try and figure out a way to do everything at once though. You definately raised some issues. I also just realized that with our stupid anti-business laws in this city I might be better off going for the radio. Then I should be able to get away with more stuff. I guess I should start going through the city ordinances to learn about all the anti business and anti campaign rules on the books. It's no wonder we have about 30,000 poor people in this city. We live in a city with strong anti business ordinances, high crime, aniquated buildings in a state that has "right to be unemployed" laws going against southern states that have right to work laws that are stealing businesses left and right. We're the only state out of 50 to loose jobs 3 years in a row.

I was hoping to actually kill 3 or 4 birds with one stone. I could do the DeVos campaign, my business, neighborhood block club, and also pass out helpful information like housing grants or maybe Flint River trail info or something.

Regardless I should be able to get around certain rules and regulations it's just to what degree I can get around them. I think legally there is no way the city can block me from having freindly conversations with my neighbors. I could also try a very unofficial Beechwood Park block club or something. I think I have great neighbors so I'm optomistic my block club will be better than all the others. Smile

Adam Ford
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:31 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Adam.. you do know that the Potter Crime Watch encompases the area that you live in.... Craig Dr to the North, Delphi to the South, Center Rd to the East, and Dort Hwy to the West.... their meetings are the third Monday of the Month at 7:00pm at the fire station on Western Rd.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: