FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dayne Walling NewsLetter "Thank You Flint!"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dayne Walling for Mayor of Flint

On August 7th nearly 70 percent of Flint's residents voted for change and change is on the way!

Together we can revitalize Flint by making City Hall a
place that works for everyone. We will start by putting people first--especially our kids, reopening our community centers, and restoring community policing to reduce crime in our city.

On November 6th, voters will have a chance to complete
the change in Flint and begin moving our city in the right direction.

With your support, we will Bring Opportunity Back to Flint.

Dayne Walling

Dayne Walling for Mayor of Flint

To unsubscribe from this email list, please click here or email votewalling@gmail.com with 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

Paid for by Friends of Dayne Walling, P.O. Box 937, Flint, MI 48501

Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

part message clipped...."Dayne Walling for Mayor of Flint

On August 7th nearly 70 percent of Flint's residents voted for change and change is on the way"....end clip.

huh? i guess he means nearly 70% of the 14,444 votes cast for mayor, voted for someone OTHER than the don.

THAT does not equate to 70% of the residents of Flint.

Only 68% of the non-spoiled votes cast. I don't know how many voters are registered in Flint proper. There are 351,000 registered voters in the county; some percentage of which live in Flint proper.

So here is my response to a post that was removed, remarking on an assertion that Walling would "breeze" to victory because the don captured well under 50% of the votes. See below and tell me your thoughts:

...."well I hope you weren't being serious with your observation that since 68% of the primary voters didn't vote for the don that Walling will breeze into ofice.

surely you are not that naive. The dynamics with 7 candidates, 4 of which
were black and the upcoming election with just 2 candidates, both white will
be totally different.

Look, Bryant and Neeley took each other out, or I figure one of them [if the
other were not there] could have easily bested Walling for second place. Add up their combined votes [over 4,000 IIRC].

So, those black voters are NOW in play. Lets not forget the don got a fair
amount of their support when he ran against Clack. So the don, via his
patronage and linkage to churches et al is well situated to compete for
their votes.

In fact he may be in a better position to gain their support than Walling,
who has to be considered an outsider to the traditional black power bases in
the city. The don is fairly comfortable traveling to the churches, barber
shops, community centers etc giving out taxpayer money. He's appointed
influential black church ministers to commisions/committees etc.

Walling's work is cut out for him. I think if he gets the support of Bryant
& Neeley to energize the black vote around "anyone but don" he has a chance.

Otherwise, if the don co-opts Bryant & Neeley supporters with
cash/favors/appointments etc, he'll be harder than a chihuahua passing a
peach pit to get out of office.

just my non-profound take, YMMV. "....

I'm pretty sure Walling doesn't consider his election "fait accompli", hopefully his campaign will do the same.

Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:35 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

fyi...City registered voters (as of May 2007) 89,474.

Don't know why that stat isn't on August results at City Clerks web site.

http://www.cityofflint.com/clerk/0507electionResults.pdf

I'm also hearing from my Flint political insider friends that the Don's support is higher among blacks than whites. With an all white November election, that may not bode well for Mr. Walling.

Last edited by FlintConservative on Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:25 pm 
supervette79
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
part message clipped...."Dayne Walling for Mayor of Flint

On August 7th nearly 70 percent of Flint's residents voted for change and change is on the way"....end clip.

huh? i guess he means nearly 70% of the 14,444 votes cast for mayor, voted for someone OTHER than the don.

THAT does not equate to 70% of the residents of Flint.

Only 68% of the non-spoiled votes cast. I don't know how many voters are registered in Flint proper. There are 351,000 registered voters in the county; some percentage of which live in Flint proper.

So here is my response to a post that was removed, remarking on an assertion that Walling would "breeze" to victory because the don captured well under 50% of the votes. See below and tell me your thoughts:

...."well I hope you weren't being serious with your observation that since 68% of the primary voters didn't vote for the don that Walling will breeze into ofice.

surely you are not that naive. The dynamics with 7 candidates, 4 of which
were black and the upcoming election with just 2 candidates, both white will
be totally different.

Look, Bryant and Neeley took each other out, or I figure one of them [if the
other were not there] could have easily bested Walling for second place. Add up their combined votes [over 4,000 IIRC].

So, those black voters are NOW in play. Lets not forget the don got a fair
amount of their support when he ran against Clack. So the don, via his
patronage and linkage to churches et al is well situated to compete for
their votes.

In fact he may be in a better position to gain their support than Walling,
who has to be considered an outsider to the traditional black power bases in
the city. The don is fairly comfortable traveling to the churches, barber
shops, community centers etc giving out taxpayer money. He's appointed
influential black church ministers to commisions/committees etc.

Walling's work is cut out for him. I think if he gets the support of Bryant
& Neeley to energize the black vote around "anyone but don" he has a chance.

Otherwise, if the don co-opts Bryant & Neeley supporters with
cash/favors/appointments etc, he'll be harder than a chihuahua passing a
peach pit to get out of office.

just my non-profound take, YMMV. "....

I'm pretty sure Walling doesn't consider his election "fait accompli", hopefully his campaign will do the same.

Thank you Mr.Rove for your demographic analysis.

Now where did my shovel go ?

Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:30 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

"Thank you Mr.Rove for your demographic analysis.

Now where did my shovel go ? "

so lets hear yours.

I claim no profound knowledge in this area, unlike, Mr Rove. Who has been quite successful at what he does. Nor can I claim any affiliation with him or his office.

Don't hit yourself too hard with that shovel.

Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:02 pm 
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

I agree with you Biggie9, "70% of Flint citizens" should have gone out as "70% of primary voters" but I don't think it was done with malice. Walling even corrected it in the paper:

"Over 60 percent of Flint's voters voted for change and for him with his money to be in that position is a good sign for Flint's future," Walling said.
http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1186582875244720.xml&coll=5

Don't forget to add Weighill's votes to Walling's. No way in hell people who voted for Dale are gonna vote for the incumbent. So that's even more votes for Walling, including Norm's as he fully endorsed Walling and no doubt will campaign with him.

"As Walling became the clear victor among the challengers, forth-place finisher Bryant immediately endorsed him - even showing up at Walling's victory party at Luigi's Restaurant to do so."
http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1186582875244720.xml&coll=5&thispage=4

Add the momentum and money Walling will ramp up in the coming months and it spells landslide.

I can see a commercial with Norm and Dayne doing a barbershop talk, that would be slammin.

Are you listening Dayne Walling? Wink
Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:45 pm 
FlintWorker67
F L I N T O I D

Mr. Chittle do you think Dayne cares about Flint people? I hear him speak and hear George W. Bush, I hear "this is a stepping stone for me". Maybe I am wrong, but thats how I feel. I don't like the mayor at all, but whos the best of the two evils in my mind??

quote:
Shawn Chittle schreef:
I agree with you Biggie9, "70% of Flint citizens" should have gone out as "70% of primary voters" but I don't think it was done with malice. Walling even corrected it in the paper:

"Over 60 percent of Flint's voters voted for change and for him with his money to be in that position is a good sign for Flint's future," Walling said.
http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1186582875244720.xml&coll=5

Don't forget to add Weighill's votes to Walling's. No way in hell people who voted for Dale are gonna vote for the incumbent. So that's even more votes for Walling, including Norm's as he fully endorsed Walling and no doubt will campaign with him.

"As Walling became the clear victor among the challengers, forth-place finisher Bryant immediately endorsed him - even showing up at Walling's victory party at Luigi's Restaurant to do so."
http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1186582875244720.xml&coll=5&thispage=4

Add the momentum and money Walling will ramp up in the coming months and it spells landslide.

I can see a commercial with Norm and Dayne doing a barbershop talk, that would be slammin.

Are you listening Dayne Walling? Wink[/url]

Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:04 pm 
UncleEffort
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintWorker67 schreef:
Mr. Chittle do you think Dayne cares about Flint people? I hear him speak and hear George W. Bush, I hear "this is a stepping stone for me". Maybe I am wrong, but thats how I feel. I don't like the mayor at all, but whos the best of the two evils in my mind??

I know personally that he does care about the people of this town, not that it may carry any weight with you. My only concern with him is that he may not be tough enough for the job. But I have to agree with you that Dayne is thinking about bigger and better things.

I don't have problem with that. Say that Dayne did become Governor or Senator one day; or who knows maybe higher then that. Would it be bad for Flint to have a former Mayor in high office?

Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:11 am 
supervette79
F L I N T O I D

[quote="FlintWorker67"]Mr. Chittle do you think Dayne cares about Flint people? I hear him speak and hear George W. Bush, I hear "this is a stepping stone for me". Maybe I am wrong, but thats how I feel. I don't like the mayor at all, but whos the best of the two evils in my mind??

quote]

Does Dayne care about the people of Flint ? I am sure of it.

How you might ask ?

If Dayne wanted to get into politics and use a local election as a "stepping stone", why would he run for Mayor of Flint ? It would have been much easier to stay in D.C. and climb the ladder.

Listen folks.....He moved his FAMILY back HOME. This is his home. This is where he was born and raised.

Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:22 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Shawn,

I heard Mr Walling's interview on Supertalk 1570, so I know he said Mr Bryant actively supports him. I agree Mr Weighill's supporters could easily be convinced to go Walling.

However, I disagree with you that Walling has an easy road to victory.

Some things that in my opinion mitigate an easy or safe win:

1. Williamson spent less than Walling in the primary but vows to "spend money" on the general election. And he has deeper pockets than Walling.

2. Williamson will hammer Walling as an outsider. Including gaining a majority of his campaign funds from outside of Flint.

3. Most telling, Williamson won the majority [19 of 29]of the black precincts. Walling won none.

4. Several of the ward councilpeople are already don supporters [Buchanan, Nelson, Hill, Gonzales]. I am not sure yet that the don opposers [Poplar, Sims, Neeley, Kincaid] are Walling supporters [but obviously they would be tilted that way]. Ananich is obviously a Walling supporter.

As I said before, the dynamics of a two horse race versus the primary will be different. Even if Bryant and Neeley endorse Walling, that doesn't mean the voters who were motivated to TURN OUT and vote for them will feel so motivated when the choice is between the two DWs.

So while the two DWs will split the white vote, the black vote, mostly in play is currently tilted toward the don.

Walling needs MORE than Bryant et al "endorsing" him. He needs key figures in the black community CAMPAIGNING for him. He needs people who will turn out the voters for him in November, cold weather and all. That's a lot different than getting someone to endorse him.

I am sure he has smarter people than me already working on it. But I am equally sure they don't feel it is a done deal.

YMMV.

Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:58 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintWorker67 schreef:

Let's think about this...

We can have a mayor that made it past the 8th grade, knows how to run a dictatorship (business) but has low interpersonal skills, low public speaking ability, has a criminal record and can't obey the city constitution and may or may not know how to use a computer and refuses to work with the council and appoint an official permanent qualified police chief.

or

We can have a mayor who made it past the 8th grade, made it past high school, made it past college, made it past becoming a Rhodes scholar.
Someone who knows how to work with others, has governmental experience, has relevant political experience, has technological knowledge, internet etc.
Also someone that has good connections to the intellectual community in Flint and has connections to other cities as well.

Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:33 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
quote:
FlintWorker67 schreef:

Let's think about this...

We can have a mayor that made it past the 8th grade, knows how to run a dictatorship (business) but has low interpersonal skills, low public speaking ability, has a criminal record and can't obey the city constitution and may or may not know how to use a computer and refuses to work with the council and appoint an official permanent qualified police chief.

or

We can have a mayor who made it past the 8th grade, made it past high school, made it past college, made it past becoming a Rhodes scholar.
Someone who knows how to work with others, has governmental experience, has relevant political experience, has technological knowledge, internet etc.
Also someone that has good connections to the intellectual community in Flint and has connections to other cities as well.

Adam,

Is this a quiz?

Will you grade on a curve? Give partial credit?

Is this true or false, or multiple choice?

I'm holding out for a new car for a vote!

Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:52 pm 
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

If Dayne does want to use this as a "stepping stone" That can be a good thing. That would mean he really does want to make a positive difference here. He wouldn't get much higher up that ladder if he is a poor mayor. I don't really have a problem with that.
That is one reason I supported Dale in the primary though and it is nothing against Dayne but Dale was the first one to tell me he was running and I was so happy to know we would have at least one chance of someone capable and with good intentions actually being mayor. I never had a reason to change camps. Dale had a good plan and was very convincing in interviews and at debates. When I heard Dayne was running I was excited to know we had another chance. I have met and talked to both of them, they are both very good people. I have never really talked to the other candidates but did meet Norm Bryant when he came to my business for an interview with the Laundry Room. I would have been happy if he had made it too. I have also met and talked to our current mayor and he is the very opposite of any of them. We need a change, we can't be that stupid twice. I might pull a Barbara Strieisand and threaten to leave town if he is reelected. Wink
Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
ThaMaestro
F L I N T O I D

I for one am excited at the possibility of having a new Mayor with qualities that this city needs. Walling seems like a legit guy with his priorities straight, unlike the Don. If Dayne is using this as a "stepping stone" then by all means step right up. I don't see how that can be a bad thing, except for the fact that he may not be here forever. We need strong leadership and someone with high goals running this city. We need someone who is capable of doing much more than what the Don has done.

If Walling's goals are to run for governor or Senate one day and he has the capabilities to do such, then he is what Flint needs. They don't need a Mayor who tries to run the city as his own personal business, someone who defies the law, a tyrant who only does good for his own personal gain.

This city needs a fresh face that has the capabilities to lead and motivate this community back to respectability. We need someone who brings new ideas and a fresh perspective, someone who knows what the hell he's talking about.

Mr. Walling doesn't have an easy job ahead of him; he's running against a shyster who will do whatever he can to stay on top. Dayne seems to have more integrity about him and hopefully that will shine through for all the voters to see.
Post Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:47 am 
FlintWorker67
F L I N T O I D

Over heard a conversation with people and williamson... It basically went like this.

The general election they just seen if the public even wanted him if office, and now that they do he will spend Hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Billboards, dumpsters, mailings, lawn mowers etc.

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
Shawn,

I heard Mr Walling's interview on Supertalk 1570, so I know he said Mr Bryant actively supports him. I agree Mr Weighill's supporters could easily be convinced to go Walling.

However, I disagree with you that Walling has an easy road to victory.

Some things that in my opinion mitigate an easy or safe win:

1. Williamson spent less than Walling in the primary but vows to "spend money" on the general election. And he has deeper pockets than Walling.

2. Williamson will hammer Walling as an outsider. Including gaining a majority of his campaign funds from outside of Flint.

3. Most telling, Williamson won the majority [19 of 29]of the black precincts. Walling won none.

4. Several of the ward councilpeople are already don supporters [Buchanan, Nelson, Hill, Gonzales]. I am not sure yet that the don opposers [Poplar, Sims, Neeley, Kincaid] are Walling supporters [but obviously they would be tilted that way]. Ananich is obviously a Walling supporter.

As I said before, the dynamics of a two horse race versus the primary will be different. Even if Bryant and Neeley endorse Walling, that doesn't mean the voters who were motivated to TURN OUT and vote for them will feel so motivated when the choice is between the two DWs.

So while the two DWs will split the white vote, the black vote, mostly in play is currently tilted toward the don.

Walling needs MORE than Bryant et al "endorsing" him. He needs key figures in the black community CAMPAIGNING for him. He needs people who will turn out the voters for him in November, cold weather and all. That's a lot different than getting someone to endorse him.

I am sure he has smarter people than me already working on it. But I am equally sure they don't feel it is a done deal.

YMMV.

Post Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:27 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: