FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Leonard seeking to have law license reinstated

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Leonard seeking to have law license reinstated
Posted by jforen July 23, 2007 07:42AM
FLINT -- Former Genesee County prosecutor Robert F. Leonard, one of the most polarizing figures in local political history, is once again trying to get back the law license he lost after being indicted for embezzling government money and tax evasion.

Robert F. Leonard, 76, has filed a petition with the Michigan Supreme Court and the Attorney Grievance Commission asking to be reinstated to the State Bar.

"I thought I would give it a shot before I died," Leonard said.

The state revoked Leonard's law license in 1980 after a federal grand jury indicted him during a tenure as prosecutor that began in 1963. Prosecutors alleged Leonard used $34,000 in federal funds to help his sister buy a home in California.

He refused to step down after the indictment but was convicted in 1979 of embezzlement and tax evasion. He served 44 months in federal prisons before his parole in 1985.

Leonard petitioned to get his law license back five years later, but a hearing panel for the state Attorney Discipline Board denied his bid in 1991.

The panel criticized Leonard for "lack of candor" in accounting for slush fund money.

Since then, Leonard said he's focused most of his time on family and community. For the past eight years he's hosted "The Bob Leonard Show" on local cable access television and has been something of a political rabble-rouser and activist.

Leonard said he accepted the panel's 1991 decision but hopes for a different outcome when the hearing convenes at the end of August.

But Leonard continues to draw sharply varied responses, decades after his downfall.

Some recall him as a progressive and innovative prosecutor during his 16-year tenure. Others believe he is permanently tainted by the embezzlement case, which dominated headlines for years.

Genesee Township businessman Thomas Joubran believes Leonard will fail.

"He's not going to get it back," said Joubran. "He's crooked."

Joubran, 82, testified at Leonard's first reinstatement hearing that Leonard asked him for money to bribe state officials when Joubran's bar encountered licensing problems.

Joubran said he will testify again, this time about Leonard's cable access program.

"He's not an honest man," Joubran said.

Leonard said he expects the opposition, particularly because of the topics and stances he has taken on his program.

"I haven't made a lot of friends," he said.

If Leonard is successful, he will have to retake the state Bar exam.

"It's not an easy task, but it's worth the effort," he said.

"It would be nice to die as a member of the Bar."

http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2007/07/leonard_seeking_to_have_law_li/print.html

Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

old news. I read the original column.

not sure why you posted this here, now Steve.

But let the process take its course.

Leonard served his time...but that doesn't mean he gets his law license back. Thats up to the review process, criteria et al.

Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:14 am 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

I was surprised that Leonard didn't contact me when I wrote this column in The Uncommon Sense:
http://www.downtownflint.com:8000/df/FMPro?-db=content.pro&-format=global%5farticle%5fdetail.htm&-lay=web&-sortfield=issue&-sortorder=descend&-sortfield=article%5fid&-sortorder=descend&category=culture&page=history&-recid=37187&-find=

Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:46 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

regarding Bob's crusade against p0rn some 40+ years ago...they may have lost the battle & war, but they had plenty of time [prosecutors & police] to closely examine the evidence!

I wonder if the shops got ALL their magazines/books/movies back [8mm back then?] and if some of them were ....uh......obviously "used" no longer mint condition?

Very Happy "BOING" "SCHWING" Very Happy

Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:20 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
regarding Bob's crusade against Please delete me! some 40+ years ago...they may have lost the battle & war, but they had plenty of time [prosecutors & police] to closely examine the evidence!

I wonder if the shops got ALL their magazines/books/movies back [8mm back then?] and if some of them were ....uh......obviously "used" no longer mint condition?

Very Happy "BOING" "SCHWING" Very Happy

LOL Biggie.
Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:24 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

whoops, I see my original post got caught by Steve's filter...the "Please delete me" insertion [no pun intended] was a word that rhymes with "corn" and starts with a p and ends in n.....and is the short hand version of p0rn0graphy.

cool avatar.

One of the more profound pronouncements from that show below:

Beavis remarking on Woody Allen marrying his ex-girlfriend's daughter Soon-Yi, 35 years his Junior....
"hey Butthead heh heh.... If you were a chick.... heh heh ...would you like...heh heh... date your, like.... heh heh....step-father?

Butthead....'uhhhhhhh.... Not if his name was "Woody".......uhh huhhh..."

Beavis "hehehehehehehehehe you said Woody"

Butthead 'uhhhh....hehehehehehehehe uh huh"

Last edited by Biggie9 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:52 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
whoops, I see my original post got caught by Steve's filter...the "Please delete me" insertion [no pun intended] was a word that rhymes with "corn" and starts with a p and ends in n.....and is the short hand version of p0rn0graphy.

I'm surprised it let "BOING" & "SCHWING" through!

hehehehehe....you said "p0rn!"
Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:05 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

rhymes with "corn"

CORNHOLIO....tp for the ole....you know what

Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:44 pm 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

...ah, now were talkin!

Beavis and Butthead, true Americana

The Woody Allen scene was classic. Let's not forget one of the greatest events in cinematic history: When Beavis and Butthead were trippin on peyote to White Zombie's "Ratfinks, Suicide Tanks, and Cannibal Girls."

for your enjoyment: http://youtube.com/watch?v=SlCSPDw2dQQ

Now THAT is art!

The Cultural Center should host a Tribute to Beavis and Butthead event.

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:34 pm 
Cristina
F L I N T O I D

Bob Leonard does not need to be re-instated to the Bar. He continues his hateful diatribe and lies everytime he opens his mouth. I am certain he won't get his license back, so anyone concerned about it, needn't lose much sleep.
Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:29 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Flinn's Journal schreef:
I was surprised that Leonard didn't contact me when I wrote this column in The Uncommon Sense:

You can shorten long URLs at tinyurl.com so they won't make all posts scroll off the right hand side of the screen.

The following URL:
http://www.downtownflint.com:8000/df/FMPro?-db=content.pro&a
mp;-format=global%5farticle%5fdetail.htm&-lay=web&-s
ortfield=issue&-sortorder=descend&-sortfield=article
%5fid&-sortorder=descend&category=culture&page=h
istory&-recid=37187&-find=
has a length of 234 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 25 characters:

http://tinyurl.com/yrx9o9
Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:31 am 
WHAT!?
F L I N T O I D

Mr. Joubran calling Leonard a crook! What a joke. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! I really had to catch my breath after LMAOPIMP about that comment. The little town of Genesee is still on the map isn't it?
Post Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:38 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: