FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: task force on crime/community input

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Rapunzel

“The City Task force on Crime and Violence has decided that it is time to talk to residents in the community. We are planning to speak with (listen to) community groups such as neighborhood block clubs, crime watch groups and similar organizations across the city. We hope all or at least some member’s will be able to attend your meeting to gather input.” Tyrone Croom (Task Force Chair)
Now is the time for solutions!

We held the first input meeting at Brown Funeral home. Three members of the task force in attendance. Also in attendance US. Attorney, Local judge, Two community police officers and many representatives of community groups. We did find some do able solutions, but we came back to the biggest problem of lack of space in the county jail. We need funding to address this,the city jail is just a holding facility when used. How can we prosecute with no space and no accountability. We can give out tickets till the cows come home.

I did give the suggestions listed to Tyrone. I will not give you his thoughts about the Ombudsman as that would be hearsay. He has looked at Terry's blog. thank you , Terry

He does hold the office in higher regard than his own wants for what he hoped to do with the office. Let me tell you he had a strong plan.WAAA!

This was a good meeting. Nice of you to show up! Words without deeds are nothing!

Rapunzel
Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:34 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Is the task force producing public reports? I am collec ting reports and hope to participate in the public portion. With out real and preceived crime control Flint cannot turn itself around.

Mr. Croom is a quality person , he should still take the job. Flint will now fight for him! He has been misrepresented.
I arrived late 8:10 and was told the meeting was over.

Terry
Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Just curious,
How do we go about finding out when these meetings are held?
Are the all scheduled during most peoples working hours?
Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
the biggest problem of lack of space in the county jail.

While I wouldn't say that this is the biggest problem. I would agree that it's definitely near the top of the list!
(Wasn't Don going to build us a new jail with his own money?)
We definitely do need more jail space. I don’t know that even doubling its size would be big enough. They knew when they built it was too small. I'm all for writing letters to out elected officers suggesting and asking for funds. As average citizens we should be doing this. I propose a letter writing campaign to do just that. Write our elected officials and request the help fund us another jail to be somehow connected to the old one. No sense creating two separate ones. I don't know how they'd do it. But I'm sure we could find a way.

Things to write:
Remarks about crimes where sentences amount to probation given for violating the probation they are already on. For committing the same crimes they are on probation for. (ref: Flint Journal sentencings)

Tickets given in lieu of immediate arrest. Because jail is already over crowded. (police claims)

Criminals let go early because of lack of space, or too may higher offences need the space. (I’ve seen this in the Flint Journal and also talked to people that were let out early. I believe this happens more than we know about.

We need immediate action! Not wait on a SIX year plan to build it or fund it.

We need not only money to build it. But Funds to maintain it. We obviously have more criminals than other areas. But, not the tax base to support the over abundance of criminals.

I almost wouldn’t bother ms. Clack though. She is too bust out talking about crime nd how it makes people feel, instead of reading or responding to letters or emails. But, send one to here anyway as a courtesy. But do not expect a response.

Addresses I would recommend to write to:

Mayor: Donald Williamson Flint City Hall
1101 S. Saginaw Street
Flint. MI 48502

Ward 1 Darryl Buchanan
Ward 2 Jackie Foster Poplar
Ward 3 Kerry Nelson
Ward 4 Sandy Hill
Ward 5 Carolyn Sims
Ward 6 Sheldon Neeley
Ward 7 Jim Ananich
Ward 8 Ehren Gonzales
Ward 9 Scott Kincaid
3rd Floor City Hall
1101 S. Saginaw Street
Flint. MI 48502

Brenda Clack brendaclack@house.mi.gov
N0798 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514 Fax: 517-373-5997
Phone: 517-373-8808

John Gleason johngleason@house.mi.gov
N0897 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514 Fax: 517-373-5953
Phone: 517-373-7557

Lee Gonzales leegonzales@house.mi.gov
N0898 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514 Fax: 517-373-5817
Phone: 517-373-7515

Paula Zelenko paulazelenko@house.mi.gov
N0899 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514 Fax: 517-373-5812
Phone: 517-373-3906

David Robertson davidrobertson@house.mi.gov
S0985 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514 Fax: 517-373-5810
Phone: 517-373-1780

Bob Emerson SenBEmerson@senate.michigan.gov
Office Address: S-5 Capitol Bldg.
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 30036, Lansing, MI 48909-7536
Phone: 517-373-0142
Toll Free: 800-390-0697
Fax: 517-373-3938

Cherry, Deborah SenDCherry@senate.michigan.gov
Office Address: 910 Farnum Bldg.
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 30036, Lansing, MI 48909-7536
Phone: 517-373-1636
Toll Free 866-305-2126
Fax: 517-373-1453

Governor Jennifer M. Granholm
P.O. Box 30013
Lansing, Michigan 48909
PHONE: (517) 373-3400
PHONE: (517) 335-7858 - Constituent Services
FAX:(517) 335-6863

Levin, Carl
269 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-6221
Web Form: levin.senate.gov/contact/index.cfm

Stabenow, Debbie
133 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-4822
Web Form: stabenow.senate.gov/email.htm

Dale E. Kildee
2107 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515
202-225-3611
202-225-6393 fax

Well I think that is everybody. If you have any other suggestions. Please pass them along to me.
Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Does anybody else realise that. 13,000 people put in jail in Flint in one year is just over 10% f the Cities Population. Granted this includes the county as well. BUT THAT IS AN OUTRADGEOUS AMOUNT OF CRIME!!!

Genesee County Jail Issues
By Michelle Leach
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 12:00 AM

The Flint City jail is re-opening this year and police say they’re cracking down on small-time offenders.

At the same time, the Genesee County Jail isn’t getting any bigger. But, officials argue, it should.

"When people are arrested as youngsters and given a warning because there's no place to put them you have to wonder -- if there's no accountability in the system, do they feel like they've got a free pass to do whatever they want?" said Sheriff Robert Pickell. "County commissioners have a difficult problem because we don't have the money, but we need more jail space. “

Former County Commissioners say overcrowding is as old as the jail itself. "The day it opened it was too small -- we went to double-bunking ... Today we're seeing the consequences of that. “ Said State Rep. John Gleason.

The consequences include a jail that constantly teeters on the edge of overcrowding. When the jail gets more then 5,800 inmates, for more then 7 days, the county must release some of them early. The problem may only get worse with the city lock-up re-opens in July.

Police Chief Gary Hagler said "when I fill up my jail it will cause problems, because they'll stay at mine for a day or two, then the judge will hand down a longer sentence, and send them to the county ..." He says they’re taking on the big backlog warrants for misdemeanors, like prostitution and disorderly conduct. "we want to show kids early on if you do negative things there will be consequences, and maybe then they won't graduate up to more serious crimes."

Gleason agrees that education needs to start early, but he also says the state needs to take another look at how they punish wrongdoers. "it costs twenty to thirty thousand dollars a year to house an inmate in the county ... We can't afford, we don't have room so we need to look at jail sentencing guidelines -- we need to look at who we put in jail and for how long?" He says there’s a much cheaper, more effective solution. "We can send the m to rehab than spend their whole lives in jail."

The sheriff and police departments are working together to find solutions.

"Timer served in the city jail if it's a minor or first offense, just for a day or two, and then they wouldn't have to go to the county" said Chief Hagler.

The Sheriff says he’s also working with County Commissioners, on plans for a complete new facility. "You see everybody wants a new jail, but few want to pay for it and no one wants it in their neighborhood." He’s suggesting a committee be formed to research just how big a new jail should be and where to put it.

The Genesee County Sheriff’s Department reports the average daily population is 575, that’s 5 short of the limit. It costs $33million to house around 13,000 inmates every year.

http://www.weyi.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=2136
Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:01 am 
rapunzel

I mentioned to Rep. Clack that constituents were not getting response from emails. She is trying to be more visible and accessable in the community.
Toll free 1(817) REP 0034
You will probably get Teresa her Leg. asst. she will pass on info or will research promptly and RETURN your call. Please be nice to her!

Lee Gonzales- toll free (800)-FLINT-49
His Legislative Asst. is Tim Sneller (Great guy)
Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:48 pm 
rapunzel

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
Is the task force producing public reports? I am collec ting reports and hope to participate in the public portion. With out real and preceived crime control Flint cannot turn itself around.

Mr. Croom is a quality person , he should still take the job. Flint will now fight for him! He has been misrepresented.
I arrived late 8:10 and was told the meeting was over.

Terry

They will be producing reports. I agree about Mr. Croom.
There were two crime meetings at EBA. Crime watch was held in EBA room 6-7 our usual room. We had to hold the Task Force meeting in one of the front rooms to not bother (noise) a viewing for a loved one in a room by the EBA room. We ended the task force meeting at 8pm but some of us Tyrone included did not leave till about 8:30. The staff may have been confused on which meeting you wanted as I assume you came in the back door (flower delivery). We were in the room next to the front door.

I apologize for the last minute room change but the "Good" Don must take care of business first. Though I don't believe we would have woke the dead! Smile

Terry, Mr. C will be typing up a full report of the meeting including all responses. I will forward to you.
Post Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:05 am 
rapunzel

Whoops! DLC will be typing report.

Ted, Do we need a new City jail or a new County jail. Yes, also funds to maintain it

If the answer is a County Jail shouldn't we contact the County commissioners? They would then have contact with state and Fed officials.
Post Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:25 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I couldn't see the harm in conacting them also. ?? I'll try to find that information too and post it.

My thing is. That most of the problem is becuase of Flint Crime. There is some in the county. But it is FLINT that really needs the Jail Space.

Besides, We as citizens can really only point out the probelm and reccomend the solution. WE pay them to figure out how o get it done.

At least that's my thoughts'
Post Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:53 am 
Adam

"The Genesee County Sheriff’s Department reports the average daily population is 575, that’s 5 short of the limit. It costs $33 million to house around 13,000 inmates every year. "

On average there is only about 575 inmates per year in the jail so on average we spend about $57,000 per year per person on a yearly basis or in other words if each of the 13,000 inmates stayed one year it would cost 746 million to run the jail. It's unfortunate that we have to spend so much more per year for prisioners than we do on educating a child.
Post Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:09 pm 
Adam

I was just going through this old email and had to make the point. Isn't jail time the main tool we use to punish crimes? Without jail space our system is flawed. I think we should really rethink things. We can either build a bigger jail or focus more on crime prevention or be more selective in who we throw in jail.
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:48 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Adam, We are already under years of the Selective process. Just look at the sentencings in the Flint Journal. We are in a situation now, where the Criminals know we cannot house them. They get a slap on the wrist and are sent back out into the streets. There where at least three I believe in the last list that were already on Tethers or committing the same crimes again. If you look at the numbers from the Flint website and the population. Almost 10% of the population of Flint is a criminal. 10868 crimes in 2005 with a population of 120,681. I tend to think the ratio is much lower and most of these crimes are committed by people doing them over and over again and never getting caught. Because no one investigates them.

I believe Flint could lower crime if they just had a plan. Had a Police Chief with a PLAN. Some accountability, COMPSTAT, ACCOUNTABILITY!!

I've read about other cities that have changed their crime rates. Most didn't hire any additional officers. They focused on Crime and where it happened. The tracked it and looked for trends. Those cities in less than five years have the ability to respond to such high priority crimes as people who don't return their video tapes. (just a for instance) They investigated and prosecuted Car thief’s, They went after burglars, they went after criminals that stole guns. NONE OF THE THINGS FLINT POLICE SEEM TO WANT TO DO! And I can't really blame them. They lack leadership. From the Mayor on DOWN!!
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:15 pm 
rapunzel

Just last week the jail was at over capacity and they were looking at early release. This happens frequently.

I think we need a new county jail in outside of Flint. The county jail in flint to become the new city jail. We could fill 575 just with Flint criminals. The current city jail for two day holding until sentenced and maybe work release.

The county is pink slipping right now so funding is always an issue.

The county is looking into a facility for mental patients\criminals. Many in the county jail are there when they need to be in a lock down mental facility.

There may be state\Fed funds available to do this. This would then free up space for criminals without mental problems. Not sure of the details or the correct wording.

We also need to look into alternative sentencing like boot camps or something for 18 to 21. Right now young people are encouraged by lawyers to enter the military and are signed up with recruiters as a condition prior to judges sentencing. So how does this work with high school drop outs?

Your thoughts?
Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:24 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: