FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Ombudsman fiasco an insult

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Ombudsman fiasco an insult
FLINT JOURNAL LETTER TO THE EDITOR
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Wednesday, March 15, 2006 http://www.mlive.com/columns/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-8/114243423483680.xml&coll=5#continue
JOURNAL READER
Seven hours after being voted in, but not sworn in (a critical difference), ombudsman designee Tyrone Croom rejects the job offer. He was not sworn in; therefore, the council must immediately continue its selection process. What an insult to the Flint community.
I was willing to allow this to run its course with the City Council, hoping for the best and, as a former ombudsman, offering to work with whomever the council selected. I was willing to be a responsible Flint citizen.
But then, what did we really expect? We hoped for the best, trusted the process. This council has proven it is no different from the one before it. Imbedded in the Mayor Don Williamson bloc are good people agonizing at the alliance they are wedded to. We can help them to be better council people by creating a political inferno surrounding the corruption of the ombudsman selection process.
Responsible Flint citizens must become involved in monitoring the selection process of the next Flint ombudsman. Attend the council meetings and tell them what you think. Call, write and e-mail your councilperson. When you see them in church, talk to them about the ombudsman. When you see them at the store, talk to them about the ombudsman. When you see them in the schools or at work, talk to them about the ombudsman.
Our power is in numbers.
Terry Bankert
Flint
Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam

"Our power is in numbers"
I whole hardedly agree.
Even though this has so far turned out to be a fiasco I hope that we can build from our experience. This time around for the selection we will have time to go to the council meetings and lobby for candidates. I hope the council will do a better job of narrowing down the candidates before the final vote. Overall I think this has been a good experience for this city even with the fiasco due to increased political involvement and knowledge about our government. It should be also helpful having a former Flint Ombudsman, clerk and current attorney helping out and now we have one council person that's at least somewhat involved. I've also talked to Steve and there are a lot more people that read this than post. Terry has said the same thing about Flint Citizen so we are getting noticed.
Adam Ford
4th Ward
Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:29 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Adam, Try calling your Council person and letting her know where you stand! I let her know I preferred Katherine Bell. Only thing I was only able to leave it on her answering machine. She don't answer or return my phone calls anymore. I think it has something to do with The Don not liking something I’ve said on my website www.cityofflint.net. I just understand what that could be? My standing challenge is. If you find something I've printed that is incorrect I will apologize and correct the information. So far no takers.
Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: