FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Ananich wants community outrage

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Ananich wants community outrage. ABC-12 11 o'clock news.

Ananich wants community outrage for the mayor "spending over 5 million dollars in emergency funds." Well, part of the outrage is that he is among the city council members that suggested the mayor should just do that while they're arguing about whether they have a budget. Ananich is a puppet of Scott Kincaid, and the greatest outrage is that citizens of this city have to suffer for the childish behavior of city council which is refusing to take care of any business until they get what they want from the mayor. As Bob Leonard put it, that's extortion! Also childish and immature. Whatever happened to the independent legal opinion city council was to have sought several times in an effort to prove they were right and the mayor's wrong about whether they have a budget or not. They have a budget, and they need to start acting responsibly--it's too bad this primary election doesn't include recall petitions for most of the city council members who are not serving the best interests of this community! They go to meetings and sit and argue and do nothing positive. We stand to lose very important grants for their ignorance and incompetence. I say to city council, get a grip, act responsibly and take care of business. We have a budget, I don't care if you like the mayor or not. If you don't believe you have a budget stop wasting time and produce the "opinion" you said you were going to get months ago. You're procrastinating so you can erroneously blame the mayor for problems that are compounding by your failure to act.

Sounds to me like we have enough on city council to file recall petitions on every one of them who refuses to take care of city business. If they were employed by private business and behaved this way they'd be fired. Yes, I'm outraged! There you have it, Mr.Ananich.
Post Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:32 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

WOW, Are you for real? Jim a Puppet of Scott? I shouldn't even respond this. But the blindness of your words demands someone to make some sense!

Council in effect is doing exactly what the Judge ordered! That they settle their differences politically! Well DUH!!! This is how things are settled politically. Thus the reason it sucks that the judge lacks any back bone to make a ruling for or against! Then he does his best imitation of Elmer Fudd and tells Don numerous times that he needs to comply with the findings of the civil service commission because the judge "Rweelly rweelly means it!"

You sit there and say that they have a budget and they should follow it. With no mention about the FACT that Don is overspending in the very areas he "VETEOD" in the budget! Talk about childish.

I'm glad I run into more people you think logically. And can see through what the don has simple minded people believing. You might try starting with adding 2+2 and go from there. Hint. It equals 4.
Post Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Charlie
F L I N T O I D

Talk about extortion, that is the only way the mayor knows how to operate.
Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:42 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

QUESTIONS: What lawyer has been requested to provide an independent legal opinion on whether Williamson can veto part of the budget and when was the request made? Did council already receive and disagree with such an opinion, therefore, have submitted budget information to the state hoping for a different response? Who in the "state" was the info sent to, and when? Citizens of this city deserve answers now, before Tuesday! * * * And if the ultimate goal of City Council is for another State takeover, that would be more productive than what is occurring now.

Certain members of city council are deliberately withholding resolutions and approval of expenditures because they feel they don't have a budget, holding it over the mayor's head so he has no choice but to use emergency funds to pay the bills, and then they accuse him of wrongdoing because he is forced to do so. This is political manipulation, not responsible financial management. Back in January, even Councilman Ehren Gonzales said, "I don't think you can justify taking a salary (if the council refuses take action)," Gonzales said. "Putting politics before people is wrong."

Why does Ananich believe a budget must be in place in order to pass a resolution to apply for a grant for road improvement funds?

From the Flint Journal:

Tuesday, June 05, 2007: Flint Council dips into savings to set budget, by Marjory Raymer.
In a 5-4 vote, the Flint City Council passed a budget Monday for next year with $2 million more in general fund expenditures than proposed by Mayor Don Williamson. The mayor has one week to review and veto the budget, if he so chooses. It would take two-thirds of the City Council - six votes - to override his veto.

June 13, 2007: Flint council fails to override mayor's budget veto, posted by Marjory Raymer.
Flint City Council failed to override Mayor Don Williamson's veto...on a 5-2 vote. It needed a two-thirds majority of the Council, or six votes, to pass. * * * In a similar 5-2 vote, Council members approved a resolution calling for an independent legal opinion on whether Williamson could veto part of the budget. * * * Saying there is no budget in place, a majority of the City Council members refused to pass any expenditures from next year's budget in their last meeting.

Saturday, June 30, 2007: City services will remain; Despite budget fight, all sides agree, by Marjory Raymer.
"It is important for us to work together to get this resolved by July 1," said Councilman Jim Ananich, chairman of the Finance Committee. "I just want to make sure we're in compliance with state law." Based on state law, the city's 2007-08 fiscal year starts Sunday. * * * City Attorney Trachelle Young cited a section of the City Charter which states, in part, that "the mayor may veto any amendment to the budget" to support their argument. The charter does not say the mayor must veto the entire budget, Young said. * * * Williamson vetoed some, but not all, of the expenses added to his proposed budget by the council, as well as the form of the budget, which council made into a specific line-item budget instead of a more general departmental document. * * * Some City Council members, including Ananich and Council Vice President Sheldon Neeley, said a partial veto is not possible, so no budget exists. * * * City Council unanimously voted earlier this week to request an outside attorney for an independent opinion on the issue. * * * Without a new budget agreement, Neeley said, "we'll all become outlaws" and said he was worried that the lack of a budget could lead to another state takeover. Both sides agreed, though, that city services would continue despite the dispute. "It's a constitutional crisis, not a service crisis," Ananich said.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007, Flint City Council balks on '08 budget items, by Lindsey Poisson.
Flint City Council's latest position in the budget standoff with Mayor Don Williamson stands at this: "Two weeks." That's how long 2008 budget items will be postponed before council addresses them. The Finance Committee unanimously held nearly all budget items late Monday afternoon. The earliest those items could be approved is at the July 23 council meeting. * * * That resistance is meant to send a message through government officials who have "the ear to the mayor," said Councilman Scott Kincaid. "The bottom line is this: We believe there's no budget for the city of Flint, and the mayor wants to go on spending, spending and spending," he said. "If you (the mayor) don't want to work with the council, then that's fine. Go out and do what you want to do on your own, but if it takes our support, you're not going to get it.' * * * But council's decision is wasting "precious dollars" - including a nearly $7-million grant for road improvements, mayoral aide Joe Conroy said. "That's inappropriate, and it's a bad way to run the city," he said. "They have to approve it in order for us to get it." * * * Approving a request to apply for the grant Monday was "not critical," Flint Transportation Director Bill Ayre said. He was able to confirm for the council that the deadline for grant applications is after the July 23 meeting. "In the not-too-distant future, they will have to approve that or we'll lose that money," he said. * * * They sent the city's budget information to the state and are waiting to hear if the city currently is operating lawfully, Councilman Sheldon Neeley said. "Our single most important responsibility as a council is to oversee the treasury of this city," Neeley said. "Until that time, we are holding true to our responsibility and not spending any of the city of Flint's money." * * * "Their response was to sort of taunt us by saying, 'We have a budget, we don't care what you say,'" said Jim Ananich, chairman of the Finance Committee. "If we believe we don't have a budget, then we shouldn't pass any resolutions. "We can't operate without one, and I'm prepared to postpone until we have one."

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:07 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: