FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Chevron profits soar.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Richard
F L I N T O I D

As reported in the Flint Journal Chevron's 2nd quarter profits soared to new record levels and I'm sure the other oil giants are experiencing the same results. All at the expense of the everyday driving hard working American.
This is CRAP!!!!
Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:57 am 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

I do not believe Chevron sells gasoline anywhere in the Flint area.

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:52 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Richard,

so you think gas companies should be non-profit corporations?

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:14 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
Richard,

No...we should punish them with a windfall profits tax. That will make the price come down. NOT!
Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:14 pm 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Flinn's Journal schreef:

Chevron is also Texaco and Standard...Not sure if there are any of those brands in the Flint market. However, if you use Havoline oil to lube your ride or change your oil, you are supporting chevron.

v

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Richard
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:
quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
Richard,

No...we should punish them with a windfall profits tax. That will make the price come down. NOT!

With gas prices this high I feel something should be done. Did you know that if the oil companies only made the profit margins today as they did just 5 years ago, the selling price of a gallon of gas would only need to be
$1.39. Why should the everyday daily driver have to supply such a horrendous amount of profit for the oil companies? Call it what you will but, the oil companies can still make money and the average joe can afford once again to fill his/her tank.
Richard
Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:47 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:

With gas prices this high I feel something should be done. Did you know that if the oil companies only made the profit margins today as they did just 5 years ago, the selling price of a gallon of gas would only need to be
$1.39. Why should the everyday daily driver have to supply such a horrendous amount of profit for the oil companies? Call it what you will but, the oil companies can still make money and the average joe can afford once again to fill his/her tank.
Richard

With lower prices poor countries would be able to afford more gasoline. This would mean there would be a shortage of gasoline in the U.S.
With lower prices of oil a lot of oil wells shut down because they would no longer be profitable which cuts down supply.
We also have laws that limit refineries in the U.S. which limits our supply of oil and increases prices.
We have laws that prevent drilling in the Great Lakes and Alaska which decreases oil suplly and increases prices.
We invaded iraq and that cost the world 1 million or more barrels a day.
The previous embargoes in Iraq may have cost more oil as well.

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:24 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

If the United States wants oil, and we are the world's largest consumer of it, then we need to open our backyards to drilling. But, the American attitude is we want the oil but DO NOT DRILL in our own backyards. Now is that really fair? No it is not. Open the Gulf of Mexico, get to drilling in Alaska, and start in Michigan. Honestly if it was up to me, if the states cannot supply enough of our own oil for our own use, then stop using so much!
Living in Florida there is a push to open the surrounding ocean and gulf for more drilling but the enviormentalist are spearheading and effort to not allow this. Well too bad! Perhaps these same people should stop driving and turn their A/C's off.
The Americans have no problem tearing the hell out of another countires land for oil.
I understand your point but keep in mind, it is only the oil companies and the stockholders benefiting from these super excessive high prices and profit margins. The oil companies are not doing this to save the land.
Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:36 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:
quote:
FlintConservative schreef:
quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
Richard,

Richard

I'm not from Missouri...but SHOW ME! I'd love to see how that number was calculated. And since when, in a capitalistic economy, do we decide what is a fair profit and what is not?
Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:05 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

quote:
MetroGirl schreef:
quote:
Flinn's Journal schreef:

Chevron is also Texaco and Standard...Not sure if there are any of those brands in the Flint market. However, if you use Havoline oil to lube your ride or change your oil, you are supporting chevron.

To clarify things, Chevron was originally Standard Oil of California. The Standard Oil company for Michigan was Standard Oil of Indiana, aka Amoco which got merged into BP (whose American operations were originally Standard Oil of Ohio which marketed gasoline in Michigan under the Boron and Gas & Go brands before they became BP stations). Chevron did acquire Texaco, but Texaco stopped marketing gasoline in Michigan before Chevron acquired it. Chevron previously acquired Gulf Oil, but again Gulf had pulled out of Michigan before Chevron acquired it. When the Amoco stations became BP stations locally, I wrote a tribute which you can see at http://waterwinterwonderland.com/flinn012004.asp This URL http://www.us-highways.com/sohist.htm gives the history of the various Standard Oil companies.

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:49 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Oil companies are making 4 times the profit they did just a couple years ago. When is enough enough?

Richard
Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:21 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:
Oil companies are making 4 times the profit they did just a couple years ago. When is enough enough?

Richard

The market will detemine when enough is enough.

You didn't answer my question. You made a statement ("Did you know that if the oil companies only made the profit margins today as they did just 5 years ago, the selling price of a gallon of gas would only need to be
$1.39.") that you can't back up as fact.

Econ 101...the purpose of a corporation is to make money. I'd say Chevron is doing that very well.
Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:42 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

That is the American way. Just screw anyone and everyone as long as you MAKE MONEY!!!!
Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:10 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:

Richard

Are you talking total dollars in profit, or profit margin. I doubt very much that their profit margin has quadrupled in the last couple years. Last I heard, their profit margin was 10%, which is quite reasonable. Higher dollar profits could be the result of selling a lot more gas.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Richard
F L I N T O I D

10% profit on billons of dollars is quite high when they used only make 3-4%. Their revenues have soared based on higher gas prices based on you paying their price. Not too long ago the oil companies took a different approach and raised gas prices based on demand and said oil prices have nothing to do with gas prices. Now that demand has slipped and gas prices went down a bit, now the oil companies are raising gas prices again and saying it is due to higher oil prices. Which story do you believe?
This country is doomed if there is not an affordable source of energy.

Richard
Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:37 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: