FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: new ombudsman calls it quits Tyrone Croom says no thanks
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flint's new ombudsman calls it quitsOn the job less than a day, Tyrone Croom says no thanks
By Josh DeVine
FLINT (WJRT) - (03/09/06)-- Just hours into his new job, Flint's new Ombudsman says he doesn't want it after all.

Flint City Council members spent a long night at City Hall, casting 155 votes last night. Just before 1 a.m., the council chose Tyrone Croom.
Now just 12 hours later, he's quit.

The process starts all over. It will be another 60 days before Flint has a new Ombudsman.

The person in that position is charged with answering complaints against city government. That's why there was a lot of scrutiny over the job and why the decision took so long the first time.

This morning, Tyrone Croom, who was the council's eventual pick, told us that he's worried the job ill get in the way of family, spiritual and other responsibilities.

The charter allows the council to start the clock over again, which means it will be another 60 days to pick an Ombudsman.

It's not clear whether council members will take new applications or keep the more than 70 that have already been received.

One thing is clear - the Council President Darryl Buchanan says it's a process that needs to be fixed for the future. "There should be an application. And on that application there should be a section that states about information that you give or provide council is accurate information. And if that information is inaccurate, it is grounds for you not to be included."

Croom said he thinks he's qualified for the job, but the time the job takes is a concern. "I think I meet the qualifications but I'm just not sure I can provide a commitment that this office so desperately needs."

More controversy has surfaced regarding the Ombudsman's post in Flint. There are reports of a last-second deal involving a city councilwoman and her sister-in-law, who was an applicant for the ombudsman job.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=3977099
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Tyrone was never sworn in so I question the 60 days. delay tactic. I applaud Tyrone for not accepting a tainted appointment. I have only heard rumors, so if Eric could stay out of council biz we might get a fair appointment. May take a marathon meeting but let it be.
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:29 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

To Flint Citizens ..............What an insult !!!!!!!!!!

FLINT CITIZEN- By: Terry Bankert 03/09/2006
Ombudsman-appointee resigns, hours after being picked in marathon session

By Robert Snell
rsnell@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6302http://www.mlive.com/newslogs/fljournal/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_flintjournalextra/archives/2006_03.html#119534

FLINT — Tyrone Croom, the newly minted city ombudsman, quit Thursday morning, hours after the city appointed him following a marathon session.

Croom, 51, a Flint activist and adjunct University of Michigan-Flint professor, announced his decision late Thursday morning -- hours after the 12:20 a.m. appointment.

He was appointed after a seven-hour selection process in which the City Council took 155 ballots before making a decision.

Croom was expected to fill the $70,000-a-year job for seven years.

The voting was full of political intrigue. Activist Eric Mays said he lobbied Croom to hire as his deputy Donna Poplar, sister-in-law of 2nd Ward Councilwoman Jackie Poplar.

Councilman Scott Kincaid believes the lobbying upset Croom and convinced him to refuse the job -- a citizen watchdog appointment funded by the council.

“It just shows council’s really trying to direct and run the office,” Kincaid said. “It’s embarrassing to see there’s no leadership on City Council.”

It is unclear how soon council members will interview candidates and try to fill a position vacant since Jessie Binion’s term ended Jan 11.
.....end Journal article.....

What an insult.

7 hours after being voted in but not sworn in.[a critical difference] Ombudsman designee Croom rejects the job offer. He was not sworn in therefore the council must immediately continue its selection process.

What an insult to the Flint Community.

One of two things happened.
1. Croom never had the resolve for the job and wasted our time. Flint City Council President Buchanan ‘s lack of leadership failed the Citizens of the City of Flint.
2. Croom a good man had the resolve for the job but the deal forced down his throat by Council President Buchanan could not be swallowed. Flint City Council Presidents Buchanan’s lack of leadership failed the Citizens of the City of Flint.

What an insult.

I was willing to allow this to run its course with the Williamson Council hoping for the best and offer to work with whoever the council selected. I was willing to be a responsible Flint Citizen.

What an insult.

The Flint City Council are not responsible Flint Citizens as long as they are led by City Council President Buchanan.

What an insult.

But then what did we really expect. We hoped for the best , trusted the process. This council has proven it is no different than the one before it collectively. Imbedded in the Williamson block are good people agonizing at the alliance they are wedded to. We can help them to be better council people by creating a political inferno surrounding the corruption of the Ombudsman selection process.

What an insult.

I blame the City Council President Darryl Buchanan. He has insulted this community and must be held accountable.

What an insult.

Responsible Flint Citizens must become involved in monitoring the selection process of the next Flint Ombudsman. The children on the Flint City Council are misbehaving. The adults need to become involved.

What an insult.
I am asking for your help. Attend the city council meeting and tell them what you think. Call ,write and email your councilperson. When you see them in church talk to them about the ombudsman. When you see them at the store talk to them about the ombudsman. When you see them in the schools or at work talk to them about the ombudsman. Your power is in numbers.
Email Buchanan at: dbuchanan@cityofflint.com

What an insult.

I am going to act with what little impact I have as an individual. But together our number are powerful.

Will you help?

Terry Bankert 3/10/06

The Flint Citizen is a publication of Attorney Terry R. Bankert (Family Law ) of Flint Michigan USA.
http://enewsblog.com/terrybankert/
attorneybankert@yahoo.com
vita: http://enewsblog.com/terrybankert/post/2005-11-08_04:52:35/

Terry R. Bankert P.C., 1000 Beach St., Flint MI 48503 810.235.1970 fax 234-508
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
1. Croom never had the resolve for the job and wasted our time. Flint City Council President Buchanan ‘s lack of leadership failed the Citizens of the City of Flint.
2. Croom a good man had the resolve for the job but the deal forced down his throat by Council President Buchanan could not be swallowed. Flint City Council Presidents Buchanan’s lack of leadership failed the Citizens of the City of Flint.

Hey Terry, since I'm not into the poilitics of city government. I spend alot of time with my website pointing out how politics is being played. I whole heartedly agree with what you've said and it is "AN INSULT!"

What I don't understand though? What deal could Buchanan have made. The Ombudsman is a seperate entity! Once, appointed. What real influence can the Council or Mayor really have? Unless the Council or the Mayor attempt to make it political?

I guess we have had Ombudsman in the Past attempt to turn it into a political bully pulpit. But, that goes against what the Office is intended to do. Be the "Watch Dog" for Citizens and the citizen's "Problem sovler" At lesat that was what I was working for with the FlintCitizen group. Am I being to Idealistic? So what dealBuchanan make. The Position is laid out in the city's charter.

Please post it here or drop me an email.
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

[quote="Ted Jankowski"]
quote:

Q:Hey Terry, since I'm not into the poilitics of city government. I spend alot of time with my website pointing out how politics is being played. I whole heartedly agree with what you've said and it is "AN INSULT!"
A; By definition you are into the politics. You support the ombudsmans office in the ballot question election and you are a candidate for the office.

Q:What I don't understand though? What deal could Buchanan have made. The Ombudsman is a seperate entity! Once, appointed. What real influence can the Council or Mayor really have? Unless the Council or the Mayor attempt to make it political?
A; The Mays statement below is what i believe i saw happening. If the OCuncil has its own people placesd in the office a secure investigation against council interests will not occur.

Q:I guess we have had Ombudsman in the Past attempt to turn it into a political bully pulpit. But, that goes against what the Office is intended to do. Be the "Watch Dog" for Citizens and the citizen's "Problem sovler" At lesat that was what I was working for with the FlintCitizen group.
A: A barking watchdog has to have someone to listen and react. Community credibility is essential.

Q:Am I being to Idealistic?
A: No
Q:So what dealBuchanan make. The Position is laid out in the city's charter.
Ombudsman candidate

A: I belive that a deal was made. Here Erice Mays is trying to take credit. Or in his own way hew is a whistle blower.

From the Journal Article.....
Eric Mays said he helped broker a deal to break the deadlock.
Mays, whose received one vote from 5th Ward Councilwoman Carolyn A. Sims in the first round, said he urged Croom to consider hiring Donna Poplar and Anita Brown, a former ombudsman investigator.

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-35/1141919405178780.xml&coll=5

terry bankert 3/10/06
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:36 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Ok that makes sense.

I guess maybe I should have explained better what I meant by "politics is being played" It is easier for me to give an example.

Ted's definition: Playing politics - To go along with and approve something one minute. Then later claim you don't agree and twist it around so that everybody else is the "BAD GUY" and you are really looking out for the people. Or using the power of an office to pay back buddies.

Yes, I am politically involved. And I do believe in political pressure to affect change. It’s that “playing” aspect that I’m not thrilled with. I believe we can still find some people with integrity and character to work in government. But, it seems that we have too many already in there “playing politics” in stead of just doing the right thing. What’s best for the community.
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

I ask that every one stay engaged. If you are a candidate lobby. Too many of my friends applied for me to state a preference.

This is a public resource allocation decision and meets my definition of a political decision. A strong ombudsman will create and maintain independence once in.

More importantly we are in a battle on one issue. The war is for good government in Flint. There are many other issues but this is the battle we are in now.

Lobby for yourself if you are a candidate. Every one is asked to get as many people monitoring the remainder of this process as possible.
Good luck

Terry BaNKERT 3/10/06
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
EG

Again, with all the politics being played this is exactly why we need someone with a neutral perspective, someone that has not been involved at all with Flint. My choice from Dayton, Ohio: Kristina Bell . She is still my #1 choice. She has no political affliation with anyone one way or another. She offers a fresh/unbias perspective.

To quote what I said in yesterday posting "She has experience as a deputy Ombudsman in Dayton, Ohio. She has extensive knowledge of government. She has a law degree. She has ideas to make the office more visible. She will bring the positive aspects from the office she currently serves to the Flint Ombudsman's office. She has a high level of enthusiasm and compassion. More importantly she is not from this area; therefore, she has no political ties to anyone unlike many of the other candidates vying for the position. She will come to Flint as an Ombudsman with a fresh perspective. I am strongly confident she will make the necessary adjustments to make the Ombudsman's office credible and accountable. Her theme was to engage all of the community's stakeholders through communication, education, and problem resolution. Finally, Kristina delivered on her professionalism during her interview by not only answering the tough questions with confidence, but also with compassion.

We need not appoint a candidate due to politics or because he or she has the backing from organizations, groups or individuals within the Flint community. This choice must be a choice of neutrality. We cannot appoint an Ombudsman with a personal agenda or someone aligned with the city council or the mayor's administration.

There is a difference between making a political decision and the right decision."

Many people might not like this choice, but I believe it is the right choice to make. She will come to Flint with the least controversy of any other applicant.

EG
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:08 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Hey EG,

This is one I have to support you on. While My personal feelings are for having someone from Flint in that position, possibly even myself. However, Since I do not seem to meet some unwritten qualification that wasn't listed in the application, and was not ever invited for an interview or my qualifications didn’t qualify me for an interview. Your perspective on having someone from outside and independent (MOST IMPORTANTLY WITHOUT POLITICAL CONNECTIONS TO FLINT) would probably prove to be the best choice. If I couldn't get exactly what I wanted. You've presented the best option Kristina Bell . And probably the best decision taking into account the circus going on right now.

I will privately pout a bit. But, accept it as the best option.

You wouldn't happen to Sandy Hills cell number? I don't have it on me and the City's website still hasn't been updated!
I would like to give her a call. This is something, that should be settled right away. I believe the time is up according to the charter. If city council that supposedly “supported” an ombudsman, hadn’t put it up for a vote. They would have had plenty of time to find one. So I have no pity on those that created this problem. BTW I understand that you’ve been stuck with this problem. You stood firm the whole time. You didn’t create this circus. I can see you are attempting to take the lead in getting it fixed.
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:00 am 
EG

Sorry I don't have it. You can call the council office, they might be able to provide you with some numbers. 766-7418
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:52 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Croom is a good man who had the resolve for the job but the deal forced down his throat by Council President Buchanan could not be swallowed. Flint City Council Presidents Buchanan’s lack of leadership failed the Citizens of the City of Flint

Croom should be appaluded for what he did.

Tery Bankert 3/10/06
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:11 pm 
Adam

Overall I'm not too upset about how this went. I think Croom would have been an O.K. ombudsman but I would like a great Ombudsman. If Croom would have had the votes or if Poplar hadn't held out for her sister of if Croom would have had more support Mays and whoever else was involved wouldn't have stepped in and gotten a not so great deal after over 150 rounds. It's unfortunate how things unfolded but I am optimistic that we can do things right the next time around. My second choice for Ombudsman would be Christina Bell but I think we should acknowledge racism in the town. Christina Bell is white as am which I feel might not go over as well with the voters in this town. The way I would overcome this handicap would be to have someone like Eric Mays as deputy ombudsman because he is very well connected to the black communtiy. I would also try and pick up someone else like one of the two student representatives on the school board to work in the council. Although Mays would seem like a dumb choice he did seemingly do a pretty good job with Williamson's campaign in the North End. The other advantage to having Mays as deputy ombudsman would be that I could have him speak at council meetings informing them of our investigations. This would mean he shouldn't have time to speak at the council meetings against the mayor. I think this should make the mayor's people and some other people in this town quite happy. As ombudsman I would still probably want to speak as an independent citizen though at the meetings.

Although this may not be the best strategy, the only other one I can come up with is do the same thing over again and not even get interviewed.

Adam Ford
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:19 pm 
rapunzel

I second terry's opinion that Leander Tyrone Croom showed the utmost integrity. He turned down an appointment with strings attached that he very much wanted and had high hopes of how he could implement to best help the needs of the community. Rather than taint the office he gave up his dream for the greater good. This in fact makes me want him in the position even more. He has proven that he puts the needs of the office above his needs/ wants/ dreams to fill the office.

Eric, god love him may have meant well but he can stay the he$$ out of city hall during the next appointment process.

adam you need to do some background checking when you speak/ investigate about corruption. Voter fraud is an issue I take to heart.

Inez could tell you but she is a lady and may not speak out. She did mention it before but I left to my fathers deathbed before her findings were printed.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:29 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I still don't understand what the "Deal was. And if once he was appointed/sworn in. He doesn't have to follow one or any of the coouncil peoples wants or desires or politics. He then becomes independant.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:16 am 

You are right to certain degree. We may never know the whole story. Still the office which was contraversial definitely needed unquestionable integrity from the start.

I am about to get really pissed if this clown stuff isn't removed.
toni
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:09 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: