FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Who is the Ombudsman?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
We need not appoint a candidate due to politics or because he or she has the backing from organizations, groups or individuals within the Flint community. This choice must be a choice of neutrality. We cannot appoint an Ombudsman with a personal agenda or someone aligned with the city council or the mayor's administration.

That alone would have gotten my vote! I'd like to see that ideal extended to other areas of Flint also.

Robert Trojanowicz
http://www.cj.msu.edu/~people/cp/city.html
Wrote this article in Footprints newsletter. It rings as true today. As it did in 1978.

Personally, for me it's a let down that we cannot find someone in or from Flint. And we continually keep going outside the city for everything from products and services, to Community service. But I whole-heartedly gree with your premise. And I guess, sometimes we need an outside view looking in in order to move forward.

Where's that email address? Smile
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

O.K. I'm going to try and give some accurate reporting. Hopefully even more accurate and impartial then is reported by the conventional media. Ehren was unable to get the votes for his candidate who I feel is decent but anyways from what I get of the story is:

Jackie Poplar was holding out for her sister in law who she felt was the best candidate even though she did have the conviction. Apparently Simms, Kikaid and Neely had misgivings about Croom. I'm not sure what they were but I would imagine it could be something like possible ties to the mayor (bias). After 154 rounds of voting Eric Mays realizing there was a hopeless stalemate decided to try and broker a deal. I guess the deal was for Donna to be the Deputy Ombudsman. Eric Mays says Council woman Poplar was not aware of this deal. In the Journal it was reported that Donna Poplar then told her sister in Law Jackie to stop holding out for her. Jackie then cast the deciding vote in favor of Croom.

Eric Mays seems to think that if we have a convicted felon as mayor than what is the problem with having a deputy ombudsman that has been convicted? Technically I would have to say the mayor is the more important position.

It is unfortunate that I was not at the meeting. Perhaps I could have made a difference. I did not think the process would last so long otherwise I would have called Eric and swung by.

It sounds like there could be a new round to this. Perhaps on the next round I will at least make it to interview. For the next best candidate I would go for Ehrens choice of Christina Bell. It appears obvious that she is VERY independent. It sounds like she would also be competent as well.

For the record I don't think Donna Poplar will not have much of a chance of getting the Ombudsman position although she may get some supporters.

I would like to see this process start all over again. I think we should do this over and do things right this time.

Adam Ford
webmaster@mysearchisover.com
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:16 pm 

egonzales@cityofflint.com
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:56 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: