FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Who is the Ombudsman?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford

Please post who got selected.
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:04 pm 
rapunzel

I am waiting also. Heard they can't get 6 votes. 3 votes for Pat Clawson, donna is voting for her sister in law Poplar. Most votes 5 for one person so far. waiting....
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:02 pm 
plato

After 140 ballots L.T. Croom is Ombudsman.
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:01 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Sounds to me like they didn't interview all the right people.
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
plato

Be supportive on the front side, critical on the backside.[90 days at least]
Thank You all
I led on this, whats next and who's in charge?
terry bankert 3/9/06
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:06 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Oops, you meant that “Lt. Croom (Lieutenant)” is the Ombudsman. I thought you were joking with the 140 ballets (I was thinking 6 out of 9) And then thinking Lt which you actually wrote “L . T.” I was thinking Lieutenant – Flint Police - Whew. I'm caught up now. And I see he goes by Tyrone Croom. I feel better.

Now I like the fact that he was military trained. Drill sergeant to boot. (COOL BEANS). I would have preferred a Marine… But that’s just me. (LOL).

From the story I just read.

FLINT — It took almost seven hours, 155 rounds of voting and ended in controversy and cries of corruption.

Flint finally has a new ombudsman, activist Tyrone Croom, 51, a retired U.S. Army drill instructor and University of Michigan-Flint professor who could be sworn in as early as today.

The City Council approved Croom about 12:20 a.m. Thursday.

Croom will try to restore credibility to a watchdog office that served as anational model after it was created in 1974 to investigate citizen complaints -- from police brutality to water rates.

“That’s my number-one priority,” Croom said after being appointed.

Get the whole story here. http://www.mlive.com/newslogs/fljournal/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_flintjournalextra/archives/2006_03.html#119402
Available while it is a fresh story and then I believe the Link will change.

Sounds good to me! One thing I am curious about? Which precinct was he at on Feb 28th?
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

I'm having trouble figuring out who this guy Leander Croom is. Anyone know anything? Also was it unanimous/who voted against him. I expect the Ombudsman to be tested very early. Terry I hope you can provide some assistance. I will definately want to talk to this person and will be extremely curious on the investigations. With an effective gag order in place on city government I am becoming very curious about some things. I expect this ombudsman to have an opportunity at some much bigger investigations than Terry did. It seems to me there may actually be more of a current need for an ombudsman than anyone realizes.
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:45 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Try "tyrone croom flint" in the searches. He goes by Tyrone and not leander.
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:52 am 
platoe

Croom will not take the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stay tuned?

terry bankert 3/ 08/06
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:53 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Terry, I appreciate the update. But now I want to slap someone.

While I am a bit upset that, I never even got an interview Sad . After reading some things about Tyrone online. I was content and somewhat thrilled with him being the Ombudsman. Especially if he retained some of his ARMY ingenuity. When you absolutely need something accomplish ASAP you call on the Military. Look at the Katrina stuff. Once the military showed up. Things started happening. Military people learn a process. And everything we do runs by processes. We learn to make decisions and then act upon them. Not play petty games. I was really looking forward to his fulfilling of the position. OK, who is next on the list.
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:39 pm 
Ehren Gonzales

I like Kristina Bell. I think she would do the best job. She is hands down the best person for this job!

Ehren
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:48 pm 
Adam

I hear there was a deal where Croom was going to have to work with Donna Poplar as the assistant ombudsman? I wish I knew this process was going on for so long into the night. If so I could have made it down to city hall last night in time for the final selection. It took 155 votes to finally select Croom.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=3977099

ABC 12 has the story.

I think we need to pay even more attention to the next round of the ombudsman selection.
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:50 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ehren Gonzales schreef:
I like Kristina Bell. I think she would do the best job. She is hands down the best person for this job!

Ehren

So what is it about her that makes her the best candidate?
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:03 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Ehren,
What's your email?
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:12 pm 
Gonzales

She has no political affliation with anyone one way or another. She offers a fresh/unbias perspective. This neutrality will allow her to make the office what it should be... accountable and efficient.

She has experience as a deputy Ombudsman in Dayton, Ohio. She has extensive knowledge of government. She has a law degree. She has ideas to make the office more visible. She will bring the positive aspects from the office she currently serves to the Flint Ombudsman's office. She has a high level of enthusiasm and compassion. More importantly she is not from this area; therefore, she has no political ties to anyone unlike many of the other candidates vying for the position. She will come to Flint as an Ombudsman with a fresh perspective. I am strongly confident she will make the necessary adjustments to make the Ombudsman's office credible and accountable. Her theme was to engage all of the community's stakeholders through communication, education, and problem resolution. Finally, Kristina delivered on her professionalism during her interview by not only answering the tough questions with confidence, but also with compassion.

We need not appoint a candidate due to politics or because he or she has the backing from organizations, groups or individuals within the Flint community. This choice must be a choice of neutrality. We cannot appoint an Ombudsman with a personal agenda or someone aligned with the city council or the mayor's administration.

There is a difference between making a political decision and the right decision. I am all for making the right decision, even if it is not the most popular decision to make.
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:22 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: