FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Police Department Problmes. Backlog of complaints.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
AdamFord

Did anyone watch ABC 12 evening news? They talked about Saginaw's police problems. They don't have enough officers to investigate complaints. Apparently the way police departments work is the officer takes the complaint and then the investigator investigates the complaints. In other words if we had 1000 police officers in Flint and only a couple detectives we can easily have criminals walking around free.

To back this up, don't we have a backlog of complaints in Flint? Haven't some crimes been going uninvestigated?

Adam
Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:47 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Thank You. I believe one of my suggestions was to have the officers on the scene start to do the investigation. Since it seems to take an investigator to do most of the work. The officer on the scene could be knocking on doors of Neighbors houses. Instead of standing there wondering why no one comes out to talk to them.

I know I've been blaming the department as a whole. But in prior posts. I have talked extensively about Lack of leadership. And the "Well what do you want me to do about it" theme that officers on the scene seem to so quick to reply. They are doing their job. They don't do investigation, (I'm guessing.) But for some silly reason. They seem to think we know exactly what they can and can't do. When we call police, We expect, them to show up promptly and then ask questions, take the complaint, and begin to work on the problem. That's not what happens. If your lucky, after the complaint is taken you may get a return call. But you'll probably never see another officer except the one that showed up. Who thinks, "Hey, I did my part of the job." they may even follow up with the detective. But, don't expect anything else to happen. Unless you've been killed. That's the only priority crime Flint investigates. I know I've said this before. But, if we tackled more of the easy small crimes, like car theft, home invasion, etc. We wouldn't be having all the Killings in Flint.
Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Hey guys, Eric Mays agrees with you. 1000 patrol officers and few detectives. He sited the recent murders and Mary Cleaves who was beaten by the same perps prior. He also mentioned another case were the car of murder victim was returned with evidence in the trunk. Gun shells, cell phone, it took days for the police to come back out and collect evidence. Not until Jim at 66 was called did the police pick up the evidence.

So.... Please bring your list or give me your list of your ideas to present to City Task Force on Crime. march 15, 7pm at Browns.

What is needed and solutions. ACTION
thanks
Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:42 pm 
AdamFord

I'm don't think patrol offiers have the authority to do investigations. With the police union contract we can also not hire in detectives to investigate crimes. Unless the police chief begins promoting patrol officers to investigators it will be semi-pointless to have more patrol officers. Having officers take complaints does nothing unless you have investigations leading to arrests. Without investigators you can not have investigations leading to arrests. Having police officers come take complaints gives a false image. Taking complaints means nothing. I wonder how many citizen complaints gets closed without even getting investigated?

Adam Ford
Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:47 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: