FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: I feel so much safer now!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
, I still believe that if a person feels like they can't do anything and are sincerely desperate to feed their family if they are unemployed they may steal to support the family.

Well the problem with that statement is. While that may sound logical. There isn't any evidence to support the supposition. Just look at the sentencings in Monday’s Flint Journal. See if there are any crimes there that might in some very far reaching obscure thought that might remotely fit that bill? Maybe one or two percent. The vast and overwhelming majority of crime is not committed by criminals that are attempting to feed or provide for their families. Most have a few baby’s momma’s or baby’s daddy’s. but not any type of “FAMILY” setting where Dad or mom is stealing to provide for their family.

It just isn’t commonly happening.
Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
insider
F L I N T O I D

How come after reading this, the first person that comes to mind is OJ? Proof galore that OJ was guilty, but since one of the cops was racist, it is all for naught???? I still get ill when I think of that case. I get more ill when I remember the people celebrating the verdict, remembering the words of the man standing next to me at the time... "there's one for the black man!"

(Excuse me while I puke)...

I would hope white people wouldn't celebrate Jeffrey Dahmer being found not guilty because one of the detectives or officers was a vegetarian. Sorry for the bad joke, but the reasoning for "not guilty" here would be just as stupid as the reasoning for "not guilty" in the OJ case.

Oh man, here comes that urge again... gotta run...

[quote="Ted Jankowski"]
quote:
Government can't do it. Government wants to. But it can’t. It has a responsibility to protect peoples rights. Not criminals wants! Our justice system spends more time protecting the rights of criminals, rather than protecting the lives and property of the individuals. Is evidence less than evidence if found without a proper warrant? It’s thrown out because the courts say they cannot use. But the criminal had no respect for the law when they committed the crime? Shouldn’t the person that didn’t get the warrant be disciplined and not throw out the evidence? LOL I’ve been thinking on this one for a long while. Shouldn’t judges be able to use some judgment, when deciding whether that evidence is any less valid because a mistake was made in improper search? If you have an officer who is constantly making improper searches for apparently no reason, be removed from their position of authority. And not let the criminal off the hook because the evidence isn’t usable any longer because the officer didn’t have a just cause t search the guy? Just some thoughts I’ve been tossing around in my mind.
Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:39 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:

quote:
, I still believe that if a person feels like they can't do anything and are sincerely desperate to feed their family if they are unemployed they may steal to support the family.

Well the problem with that statement is. While that may sound logical. There isn't any evidence to support the supposition. Just look at the sentencings in Monday’s Flint Journal. See if there are any crimes there that might in some very far reaching obscure thought that might remotely fit that bill? Maybe one or two percent. The vast and overwhelming majority of crime is not committed by criminals that are attempting to feed or provide for their families. Most have a few baby’s momma’s or baby’s daddy’s. but not any type of “FAMILY” setting where Dad or mom is stealing to provide for their family.

It just isn’t commonly happening.

I have to agree Ted, I was going to reference the same source. I look at the weekly report on court activity....no Jean Valjeans stealing bread to feed their children. If that were so, we'd see a lot more women being sentenced, since the problem seems to be a lot of single parent families. No Jeanne Valjeans listed either.

They seem to be predominately males, drug-related or violence or property crimes. Easier to sell some crack, rob or steal from a building than work a 40 hour shift at Mickey Ds perhaps?

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:13 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
The $50,000 contribution from the city would be a drop in the bucket at Hurley and would probably barely cover wages and benefits of one police officer. Yes, it could have helped buy gas for patrol officers though. When you think about the much larger sums from grant money to improve the image of Flint this is not a bad investment on the part of the city.

To improve on this image I'd like to see a litter ordinance enforced, and people to become more conscious about not tossing litter from car windows, and people catch litter blowing in their own yard before it blows on down the street.

Thanks for clarifying. I'd divert the $3 million state flower money towards Stae Police and/or local police and/or Hurley hospital. With effective leadership it seems like Clack, Gonzalez, Gleason, the governor Governor and our elected Flint city officials should be able to get this done. In other words I wonder when the flowers are going in.

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:30 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

code:

I have to agree Ted, I was going to reference the same source. I look at the weekly report on court activity....no Jean Valjeans stealing bread to feed their children. If that were so, we'd see a lot more women being sentenced, since the problem seems to be a lot of single parent families. No Jeanne Valjeans listed either.

They seem to be predominately males, drug-related or violence or property crimes. Easier to sell some crack, rob or steal from a building than work a 40 hour shift at Mickey Ds perhaps?

I love that analogy. Perfect in its usage. As the man was never a "CRIMINAL" therefore when he was released he spent his days trying to make a difference.

quote:
Thanks for clarifying. I'd divert the $3 million state flower money towards Stae Police and/or local police and/or Hurley hospital. With effective leadership it seems like Clack, Gonzalez, Gleason, the governor Governor and our elected Flint city officials should be able to get this done. In other words I wonder when the flowers are going in.

Then you need to call them and say something.
Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Typically, grants are specific to a project.

Did you know about Cities of Promise? Flint is one of eight cities in Michigan qualifying for assistance to eliminate blight. See
http://citiesofpromise.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:58 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Well, If you watch the show tonight. You'll see that I reported on Flint being a city of Promise.

I'm thrilled we are on that list. I'm thrilled we are getting the money.

Do we need flowers along I 69 while people are driving 85 - 90 MPH through Flint in fear for thier lives. Or do we need to get criminals off the streets so people will want to stop here. Flowers along the expressway are not what is keeping Flint DOWN! Crime is!. Blight doesn't help. So that is a good idea to clean things up. But while Dan Kildee is doing his best to remove blighted houses. THe problem isn't really getting much better as it seems boarded up houses are appearing almost as fast as they are torn down. I have more emppty and boarded up houses in my nieghborhood on the eastside today than I did four years ago.

So three milion for FLowers or three million to remove boarded up houses. Which would have been a better use of the money?

You know what would have looked just as nice along I69? Just mow the damn lawn! Flowers or not. If you don't maintain the property. Having nice planters and beautiful flowers don't look any better is the landscape around it is over gorwn with high grass and untrimed trees.

Another problem with Big Mney Grants. A few people make a lot of money off the grant. They big a few little pretty projects then Flint doesn't maintain them. You watch You'll see I'm correct! Just look at how often Flint revitalises Downtown? How long does the average Revitalisation last downtown?
Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:55 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: