FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: I feel so much safer now!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=5431925

Flint is getting a makeoverCity budgets $3 million for beautification
By Randy Conat
FLINT (WJRT) - (06/28/07)-- Later this summer, parts of Flint should look a lot nicer. Nearly $3 million is being spent on a beautification project.

For the past few weeks you may have seen earthmoving equipment along I-69 in Flint. It's part of an effort to make Flint more appealing.

"As you come in and out of the city, the service drives along the expressway were pretty horrendous. They didn't look very good," said mayoral aide Joe Conroy.

With state and federal grants of $2.9 million and $50,000 in city money, Flint is getting spruced up. Several large planters will line I-69.

"We will have bushes and flowers. It will be an attractive setting, done by professionals," Conroy said.

Black chain link fencing has replaced the old, rusty fences that used to line I-475.

In some locations blacks pole will form an arch as part of the beautification project. You're going to see arches throughout downtown Flint.

New brick sidewalks have been created at some street corners. It's all part of Mayor Don Williamson's plan to boost the city's image.

"Hopefully, it will be a little bit more like Frankenmuth and less like some industrial city," Conroy noted.

Not everyone is happy with tax dollars being spent on a beautification project. Maebelle Bullard is with the First Trinity Missionary Baptist Church, which is located near the work site. "I think they can do something else besides making that area right out there look beautiful. That's my opinion. I can't see what it's doing."

It's not the beautification effort itself that bothers her, but the location. "That's right. Areas where people are living. We're just driving through there."

"It will be a great asset to business in the community; to the 'look-see' of the town," Conroy said.

The flowers and bushes will be maintained by the city.

You mean we can find 3 million to plant flowers but not to arrest criminals and make the streets safer?
Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

******You mean we can find 3 million to plant flowers but not to arrest criminals and make the streets safer?*******

Ted, in one post you say "amen" to the overtones of needing some sort of sociological change in the Genesee County region to reduce the crime rate and in this post you seem to have the attitude of "lock em up".........what are your thoughts? They seem mixed.

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:35 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

technically, the city is only spending $50,000 for the beautification, although they will have to maintain it. $2.9 million comes from state and federal grants that might only be available for beautification projects.... which is interesting, at least from the state.

I'm curious how much is coming from the state, since Michigan seems to be having such a hard time with its budget and whatnot.

And what good are flowerpots and chainlink fences going to do when a majority of the houses and yards look like crap? The only hopefully outcome is that beautification will instill a sense of pride in the local homeowners or renters, but probably not.
Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:21 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Interesting the feds are coming up with a majority of the money for the "beautification"!! What's the old adage? "You can put lipstick on a pig, but the durn thing is still a pig? The pig being the crime rate. The lipstick being the flowers.

It may instill a sense of pride, but too much of the time apathy gets in the way, unfortunately.

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:30 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Government can't do it all. How much does it cost to pick up trash along the curb? One trash bag a month. It takes about 8 ounces of gas to mow a lot next door. Neatness only costs pennies and a little effort. As long as people either don't care how their neighborhoods look, or sit around waiting for someone to do it for them, nothing will change.

I live 3 blocks from Haskell Community Center. Our block looks nice. We mow the lawns at empty houses, we cut brush, we pick up trash & sweep along the curbs. We care.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I agree with your methods and hope other Flint residents would do the same. Across the street from the funeral home is a rental home which is currently not occupied. We have taken the lead in making sure the grass stays cut even though the owner is late in his maintenance efforts.
"Keep up the good work!"
Richard
Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:09 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
******You mean we can find 3 million to plant flowers but not to arrest criminals and make the streets safer?*******

Ted, in one post you say "amen" to the overtones of needing some sort of sociological change in the Genesee County region to reduce the crime rate and in this post you seem to have the attitude of "lock em up".........what are your thoughts? They seem mixed.

Both go hand in hand! You'll never get social change when there are consequences for crime. When criminals break into houses and police refuse to investigate because they know nothing is going to happen to the criminal once caught. When we tell our children that they can deal drugs, extort and damage other property because we are willing to put them in Jail.

You've created a social environment of acceptance of criminal behavior. I hear many say that if we could just find jobs for the criminal element they would have something to do and not commit crimes. This is a wet dream at best.

When a criminal can break into 10 cars in one night, pawn the stolen items from steros to personal affects. And make more than if they worked 2 weeks at McDonalds. This is not going to encourage them to get a job and leave their criminal behavior in the past. It doesn't work that way.

The OVERWHELMING majority of criminals do not rape, kill, steal or rob others, in order to feed thier family, or buy diapers for any of their illegitimate children.

Now as far as proof. All's you need to do it look at the Stats for Flint,

If you accept the Stats strictly at face value. You would have to conclude that:

Less police officers reduce crime and hiring more increases crime.
In 2002 Flint lost 1lmost 100 police officers so in 2003 Flint had the least amount of officers ever on the force and Crime was reduced by 10 percent in 2002 and 15 percent in 2003.

Higher Unemployment lowers crime and low unemployment creates crime.
Unemployment climbed from 1999 at 9 percent to a high in 2003 of 16 percent all the while Crime was decreasing an average of ten percent per year. IN 2004 Unemployment began to drop and crime skyrocketed 17 percent in 2004, 12 percent in 2005 and according to the federal government who is using estimated population stats instead of real ones Crime went up 13 percent (MUCH HIGHER if you figure actual population).

Poverty has a nill effect on crime one way or another. Since Flint has held at a slightly growing poverty rate of 30 percent in 1990 to 33 percent in 2005. 3 percent increase in 17 years. In New York as poverty climbed to a high of 12 percent crime actually decreased by 50 percent.
While poverty was slowing inching up from 30 to 33 percent. Crime was actually going down an average of 10 percent a year.

Now the one factor that actually contributes to crime is the one no one wants to discuss. FLINT'S 67 percent drop out rate. As more students make themselves unmarketable in the employment arena. The turn to crime because there isn't any incentive for them to stay in school! They have nothing to fear!

Because in Flint we make excuses for those people blaming everything from poor parenting to them not having a job. So yes some social change is necessary. Stop making excuses and hold criminals accountable.
Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Howdy Ted, thank you for the candid response, without the demeaning overtones, like our friend...............<evil grin>.

You know and I know that there are many facets for the committing of crimes, whether it's here in Genesee County or elsewhere. Shame is not a cure-all, accountability is not a cure-all. The old saying of "People do what they want to do and not what they have to do", comes to the forefront, in my opinion. We can say that social norms have changed but they really haven't. Only the prosecuting mentality. Was it okay in the early 1900's for my G-Gramps to run after my G-Grams and Grandma with a stone mallet? Probably, people just looked at it as he was keeping his family in line, yet a divorce was granted due to the fact that he couldn't support both of them effectively. Would my husband be thrown in jail nowadays (he's never done that of course)? Yippers. Smile

I have nary a problem with stats other than people can interpret them any way that they want, including, yes including police departments. You know that. I tend not to trust any police stats anymore......<sigh>.

*****Less police officers reduce crime and hiring more increases crime. ***

I do believe that you and I are on the same track pertaining to this actually. You know that the studies of the increased patrols don't mean squat and so do I. The presence can put a band-aid on the issue, the public is funny. Does the increased presence mean that there is more crime? (rhetorical) Does the increased presence mean that I should feel more secure? (rhetorical).

Then how in the hell do you stop the crime problem? <not sarcastic tone in there.> Figure out why it's happening, not just in Flint, but in the surrounding areas. People in Saginaw county are getting smart......they will stalk places right off of the expressway to make a clean break.

Why is crime happening? People don't care about "community" anymore? Make people care. People are stoned and need more money? Make people quit drugs. People need money to feed their families? Help people find jobs. People don't believe that they can make the changes to their neighborhoods to make them safe? Empower them. People don't like police officers anymore? Make the LEO's a clean bunch.

There is not a clear cut answer, is there?

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:27 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Although I appreciate the efforts to make Flint more attractive I think this money could have been better spent at struggling Hurley hospital to save lives or on police officers to make people feel safer or perhaps even gasoline for when state troopers patrol Flint. I have heard Michigan is telling troopers not to drive around so they can save gas.
Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:53 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

The $50,000 contribution from the city would be a drop in the bucket at Hurley and would probably barely cover wages and benefits of one police officer. Yes, it could have helped buy gas for patrol officers though. When you think about the much larger sums from grant money to improve the image of Flint this is not a bad investment on the part of the city.

To improve on this image I'd like to see a litter ordinance enforced, and people to become more conscious about not tossing litter from car windows, and people catch litter blowing in their own yard before it blows on down the street.
Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:56 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03

Why does crime happen?

Becuase it is is easier. Plain and simple. If you want something... just take it. Nothing is going to happen to you if you do. Does social conditions have an effect. SURE. Becuase in history as you put in your example about divorce. We can also look at the time during the great depression. When the majority of people were poor and crime did not go up signifcantly, or porportionally to any stats.

So I would have to point out. That if a criminal is in Jail and not on the street. He cannot commit crime while in Jail. In flint Crime has increased with the increase in the Drop out rate. Lack of education while not the only factor in Crime. Is a Major factor. The vast majority of crimes are committed by uneducated people. Now that doesn't mean your prone to crime because you don't have an education. But using the model that people have used to claim the because certain area with high poverty have high crime.

I cannot say with 100 percent certainity that poor education causes crime. But there is a lot more evidence to support that hypothisis than there is that unemployment or poverty do.
Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:21 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Ahh, did some, notice I said some, checking on the facts, currently Flint has a 7.8 percent unemployment rate (bls.gov/last modified June 27, 2007) crime rate high (yeah, no sh*t) Smile

You had stated or someone else stated that unemployment rate in 2003? was approx. 16% +/- and crime rate down.

These stats can be interpreted in a wide variety of ways. Have people found part-time jobs and taken off of the stats somewhere? People are leaving Flint as noted in another thread. Crime being reported more therefore driving up the stats? People being arrested more driving up stats? People getting extended unemployment bennies?

I was of the attitude that because unemployment rate is up crime goes up, but a little bit of research, don't know what to think, middle of the road now..........sheesh!!! What'd ya do to me Terry?!

Yes, education, I do believe has a lot to do with it. My mom just retired from teaching at an alternative education program.......sigh. The stories that I could tell. Not everyone turned out to have a number on their chest with a mug shot. Some of them, went on to get their Masters' Degree! If you can believe that! I guess it boils down to what a person feels like they can accomplish in life and what they can change.........dunno. I need a beer!! Wink

Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:24 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
These stats can be interpreted in a wide variety of ways.

I read what you wrote after that. I have to believe. That Yes the stats may not be 100 percent. However, the arguments for and against the stats DO NOT CHANGE. There is always the idea that Maybe it's being reported more or less. Or that some people have dropped off the unemployment roles, etc. Those ideas and possibilities are always there.

Thus, using of the statistical data is still sound. There are always people not being reported, there are always people collecting or filing for unemployment when they are actually working for cash under the table. Thereby understanding that the stats are already not 100percent. They are always not 100 percent! So what then else can use. Are they any more or less valid?

I know that I do not call police for every crime that happens in my neighborhood. Why? What’s the point. My car gets broken into. and I've become board with the typical response of 'Well what do you want me to do about it' When all the neighbors cars were broken into about sx months ago. Police were called by some of the neighbors. But after surveying all of them. out of the nine that were broken into only four called police. So are the crime stats good or bad? only four reports filed out of nine? Are people today reporting more or less? LOL Do you see where I'm going.

The stats are just what they are. The best information we have to gage anything by. because, statistical data is the only real way to make any type of finding.

Interoperation comes in when people ignore data that actually has a bearing on the issue at hand. To study just unemployment and crime. without regard to education is stupidity. Yet, many do. Joslyn Eleders infamous statement that Poverty causes crime was ridiculous. Because, if Poverty caused crime. Then all areas of high poverty or increasing poverty would have high crime. A simple viewing of poverty stats and crime stats shows there is absolutely, without a doubt NO CORRALATION! If there was. The maps would look very much similar by proportions. Yet they don't. Some high poverty areas actually have low crime. Some high unemployment areas have LOW crime.

I guess if you or i could ever figure out that infamous cause of crime that politicians swear that "if we can solve why people cause crime, then we can prevent it". Then they point to poverty or unemployment (neither of which causes crime). Ultimately, Crime is a matter of the heart. It's up to religion of a relationship with Christ to fix. Government can't do it. Government wants to. But it can’t. It has a responsibility to protect peoples rights. Not criminals wants! Our justice system spends more time protecting the rights of criminals, rather than protecting the lives and property of the individuals. Is evidence less than evidence if found without a proper warrant? It’s thrown out because the courts say they cannot use. But the criminal had no respect for the law when they committed the crime? Shouldn’t the person that didn’t get the warrant be disciplined and not throw out the evidence? LOL I’ve been thinking on this one for a long while. Shouldn’t judges be able to use some judgment, when deciding whether that evidence is any less valid because a mistake was made in improper search? If you have an officer who is constantly making improper searches for apparently no reason, be removed from their position of authority. And not let the criminal off the hook because the evidence isn’t usable any longer because the officer didn’t have a just cause t search the guy? Just some thoughts I’ve been tossing around in my mind.
Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:42 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Oh and if you didn't need a beer before your read all of that. You probably do now, Plus an asprin. LOL
Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:43 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I called you Terry.......Ted, I'll get it right.......<sigh>

I guess that you could say that it does boil down to a person's internal moral barometer, but yet, I still believe that if a person feels like they can't do anything and are sincerely desperate to feed their family if they are unemployed they may steal to support the family. I am not really going to let my point of view go entirely............oy vey!! Wink

The religion thing that you brought up, I am a "religious" person and am pretty active in the church that I attend, but I have known some "religious" people that are flat out nutters that also break the law. Sometimes religion is not the answer, it may help instill some social norms and provide a safe haven for a person's troubled times, but is not a cure all. Granted people have changed due to religion for the better, but sometimes not.

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:08 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: