FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: For those who might have missed this-Monday July 2 LTE

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
R. Lebeau
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-10/118338421431510.xml&coll=5

Walling Best Choice For Mayor
FLINT JOURNAL LETTER TO THE EDITOR FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Monday, July 02, 2007
By Cyndy Wolf
Journal Reader

After attending the recent forum for candidates running for Flint mayor, I feel there is one candidate who emerged as having the attributes that will be necessary to move Flint into the 21st century and that candidate is Dayne Walling.

Walling is intelligent, articulate, hardworking and, most importantly, presented a specific plan for what needs to be done to improve the quality of life for all the citizens who reside here. While there was a great deal of rhetoric tossed around by other people running, we need leadership that is able to recognize not only the problems but know what we are going to do about them.

Flint suffers from the same issues that plague other urban areas: globalization of industry, crime and a perceived lack of opportunity, but I believe we have been particularly focused on what was rather than on what could be.

We need to have someone with a plan for revitalizing our neighborhoods and schools before people will commit to staying here. We lose too many of our young people to other areas because they do not see Flint as having anything to offer. While Walling, with his education and background, could have moved his family anywhere, he chose to return home because he loves his hometown and wants to make a difference. I am confident that if he is elected, he will surround himself with other qualified people who share his vision.

We need a mayor who generates excitement, and can move us forward. We need a mayor who has the integrity, vision, intellect, work ethic and ability to work cooperatively with others. Flint needs Dayne Walling.

Cyndy Wolf

Flint
Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:35 pm 
FlintWorker67
F L I N T O I D

Dayne Wallin isn't gonna fix ours problems folks!
Mayor Don will win again I think, too many people running
the vote will be diluted.

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:51 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

True the vote will be diluted in the primary but the top two vote-getters will face off in the general election. It will be interesting to see if there are two who can get larger numbers than Williamson in the primary.
Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:16 am 
BPinFlint
F L I N T O I D

Has Dayne held any leadership positions other than Flint Club?
Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:47 am 
mark thompson
F L I N T O I D

quote:
R. Lebeau schreef:
http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-10/118338421431510.xml&coll=5

Walling Best Choice For Mayor
FLINT JOURNAL LETTER TO THE EDITOR FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Monday, July 02, 2007
By Cyndy Wolf
Journal Reader

After attending the recent forum for candidates running for Flint mayor, I feel there is one candidate who emerged as having the attributes that will be necessary to move Flint into the 21st century and that candidate is Dayne Walling.

Walling is intelligent, articulate, hardworking and, most importantly, presented a specific plan for what needs to be done to improve the quality of life for all the citizens who reside here. While there was a great deal of rhetoric tossed around by other people running, we need leadership that is able to recognize not only the problems but know what we are going to do about them.

Flint suffers from the same issues that plague other urban areas: globalization of industry, crime and a perceived lack of opportunity, but I believe we have been particularly focused on what was rather than on what could be.

We need to have someone with a plan for revitalizing our neighborhoods and schools before people will commit to staying here. We lose too many of our young people to other areas because they do not see Flint as having anything to offer. While Walling, with his education and background, could have moved his family anywhere, he chose to return home because he loves his hometown and wants to make a difference. I am confident that if he is elected, he will surround himself with other qualified people who share his vision.

We need a mayor who generates excitement, and can move us forward. We need a mayor who has the integrity, vision, intellect, work ethic and ability to work cooperatively with others. Flint needs Dayne Walling.

Cyndy Wolf

Flint

I was at the debate also. I think that the fact that Dayne Walling talks like James T. kirk qualifies him to run the STARSHIP ENTERPRISE but not Flint.
"This..... is......(pause) .... no....... joke...(pause)... folks"
Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:08 pm 
R. Lebeau
F L I N T O I D

"BPinFlint:

Has Dayne held any leadership positions other than Flint Club? "

http://www.votewalling.com/record.php

Maybe you should read the candidates sites before you ask these type of questions...

James T Kirk, eh?

Well I'd say most folks would welcome a Kirk-like figure to lead this "Starship Flint" to the next level..

When was the last time you spoke in front of 30, 40, 50, 100 people? I know from experience it's not as easy as it looks? How would it feel to you if someone said Dale Weighill looks like he has Troll-doll hair? The last thing we need is to start talking about appearance or speech pattern.

What's next? Sheldon Neely sounds too "urban" for you? Does the Tamara edwards sound too "woman-ly" ??

Issues people!! Issues!! stop trying to go for the LCD and deal with what we need to move the city forward.

If that mean I'm for Walling, then so be it..so far, his plan is the most sound, he's the most friendly and passionate candidate. And I've met all the candidates, INCLUDING the current Mayor..
Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:44 pm 
BPinFlint
F L I N T O I D

I have read his site and there is no indication that he has held a leadership position. It appears as though he has served on many teams, and worked as a student, researching, but no indication that he has ever lead an organization other than Flint Club. I looked into the 3MD project, and saw that he was a member of the steering committee, but in the three steering committee meetings posted on their site he is not named as an attendant of those meetings.

I'm tired of hearing, "Dayne is smart.." "Dayne is the thinking man's candidate." He's obviously a smart guy, but does he have leadership experience?

Seems like a man who thinks would ask, are you qualified?

Is Dayne qualified?
Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:00 pm 
philanthropiclady
F L I N T O I D

quote:
BPinFlint schreef:
I have read his site and there is no indication that he has held a leadership position. It appears as though he has served on many teams, and worked as a student, researching, but no indication that he has ever lead an organization other than Flint Club. I looked into the 3MD project, and saw that he was a member of the steering committee, but in the three steering committee meetings posted on their site he is not named as an attendant of those meetings.

I'm tired of hearing, "Dayne is smart.." "Dayne is the thinking man's candidate." He's obviously a smart guy, but does he have leadership experience?

Is Dayne qualified?

The fact is that Dayne Walling has no executive or elected official expeience. He may be more qualifed in 4 or 8 years to run for Mayor..but as of now he's basically a grad student running for elected office in Michigans fifth largest city.
Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:09 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Clearly "beauty" [eg ability to be a successful mayor] is in the eye of the beholder.

its a fact, if not a sad one, that we do judge people on their looks as well as behavior. Thats not to say good leaders only have to have Hollywood looks...if that were the case, most of our Presidents would never have been elected. Lincoln? hardly. Churchill? doubtful.

Behavior is important because it allows a window into ones character. Pols are usually effusive and charming, and if reasonably adept at people skills and preparation, will ALMOST always say the "right" thing [dependent upon the audience of course]. BUT. When we scrutinize their behavior do we get a chance to confirm if they walk their talk.

Finally, its not unreasonable, IMO, to look at ones curriculum vitae to see what their past performance [behavior] was. While its true that, like an investment instrument, past results are no guarantee of future performance, it is also true that as the twig is bent, so grows the tree [and a leopard can not change its spots...everyone have their fill of metaphors yet? Wink ]....

So some people may weight lack of "executive leadership" or certain experiences critical, others may not. Some may feel comfortable with personal charisma, others may not give a whit if they are rude [Williamson]as long as they get things done..

Thats what makes the world go round isn't it. We all agree on the goal; improve the life situation in and around Flint. We can not agree on what the specific best course of action is necessary to get us there, nor who best is equipped to lead us to that promised land.
But that is the process, as messy and emotional as it may be sometimes. It works. IF people get out there and vote. Only then do we get the gov't we truly deserve. And if we realize we made a mistake, there is always another election downstream to correct the situation.

So everyone study the candidates, against the issues, in the context of your values and beliefs...and then go execute [vote] and hope for the best.

heck we do that every 2 years with far greater, if less local issues at stake when we vote for our state & national gov't representatives.

take your best shot

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:00 pm 
R. Lebeau
F L I N T O I D

quote:
philanthropiclady schreef:
quote:
BPinFlint schreef:

Is Dayne qualified?

The fact is that Dayne Walling has no executive or elected official expeience. He may be more qualifed in 4 or 8 years to run for Mayor..but as of now he's basically a grad student running for elected office in Michigans fifth largest city.

not unlike your guy being a young school board member? or Michael Moore doing the same? He is a smart man, but not arogant and not a "rocket scientist" academic.

The gist of his whole academic career has been to study how to revitalize mid-sized midwestern towns like Flint! Why would you want to squander that kind of resource? Why would you want some other city to benefit from Walling's experiences when he wants to utilize them in his hometown??

I don't get it. You would throw away probably the best thing that could happen to our city, for what? What could possibly be better than someone, who has dedicated his life to coming back and making Flint a better place??

Seriously if you can tell me something better, then I'm all ears...
Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:28 pm 
circa99
F L I N T O I D

I love the fact that no other canidate has had a REAL plan other than Dale W. Everyone else just says "we need more for the kids, theres to much violence". Well, duh... how are you going to fix it? They eventually say more police etc etc. but no PLAN. Except for Dale. Hes had his "comprehensive" plan since Jan. I saw another article in the journal from some women that Dayne is the only one with a plan. Not until recently did Dayne present a "plan" in written form and some detail as to how he is going to manage his dreams for flint. To which is a combination of Dales Plan and another book written by a former flint native who lives in wash. dc now. I guess he was pressed for time?
Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:48 am 
R. Lebeau
F L I N T O I D

quote:
circa99 schreef:
I love the fact that no other canidate has had a REAL plan other than Dale W. Everyone else just says "we need more for the kids, theres to much violence". Well, duh... how are you going to fix it? They eventually say more police etc etc. but no PLAN. Except for Dale. Hes had his "comprehensive" plan since Jan. I saw another article in the journal from some women that Dayne is the only one with a plan. Not until recently did Dayne present a "plan" in written form and some detail as to how he is going to manage his dreams for flint. To which is a combination of Dales Plan and another book written by a former flint native who lives in wash. dc now. I guess he was pressed for time?

That's a flat out fabrication. Do you write fiction, sir?

Walling has had a plan since he started campaigning. It's called his Roadmap to Opportunity. That has been out since petition signatures needed to be gathered. I know because he had it with him when he knocked on my door back in April..

Now it comes down to Weighill supporters getting into negative campaigning.
Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:56 am 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

I plan on voting for the Gay Republican. Why? Because I'm a fiscal conservative and social liberal (libertarian probably better describes me)

Like I've said before, if you really want to turn a city around for the better, make it Gay-Friendly. Property values will sky rocket and crime will drop.

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:38 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: