FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Mayor accused of campaign finance violations Do over!?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mayor accused of campaign finance violations
Posted by mraymer June 28, 2007 17:19PM
Categories: Breaking News, Flint, Politics
FLINT -- Armed with more photos and documentation, mayoral critics are again asking the Secretary of State to investigate Mayor Don Williamson for alleged campaign finance violations.

The main complaint is about what they consider corporate contributions to Williamson's re-election campaign because at least one of the trucks bears a dealership license plate. Similar complaints previously have been registered in connection with political campaigns by Williamson and his wife, Patsy Lou.

Joe Conroy, a mayoral aide, unilaterally dismissed the accusations.

"He knows the rules and he follows him. It's just not true," Conroy said. "The mayor is following the rules on election law."

Conroy said Williamson hires a private attorney to ensure he follows the law to a T.

Three candidates opposing Williamson -- Norm Bryant, Dayne Walling and Dale Weighill -- also jointly attended a press conference Thursday at City Hall on the issue, an unusual collaboration for candidates just weeks from the August primary.

The demand for action by the Secretary of State comes just one week after the office announced the dismissal of most accusations of campaign finance violations. However, the investigation into previously alleged corporate contributions is ongoing.

Frequent mayoral critic Kate Fields provided the media with documentation showing that at least one truck that was the source of complaints during Patsy Lou Williamson's Senate campaign last year is being used now by Don Williamson's campaign.

"The same things are being continued in this campaign," Fields said.

The mayor's opponents said it is important for the integrity of the Democratic process for the accusations to be properly investigated. All three also signed a letter being sent to the Secretary of State demanding action.

http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2007/06/mayor_accused_of_campaign_fina.html

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
The main complaint is about what they consider corporate contributions to Williamson's re-election campaign because at least one of the trucks bears a dealership license plate. Similar complaints previously have been registered in connection with political campaigns by Williamson and his wife, Patsy Lou.

How talk about spin!

quote:
Frequent mayoral critic Kate Fields provided the media with documentation showing that at least one truck that was the source of complaints during Patsy Lou Williamson's Senate campaign last year is being used now by Don Williamson's campaign.

WOW! That's a huge spin. I'll have to get all those pictures back up for everyone to see. Also see if I can did up the ones from the Mayorial election. I wish i would have seen this before I edited my show for this week! If you watch the whole thing! You'll see at least 6 trucks and vans with Patsy Lou Williamson for Senate on them with Dealer Plates. I know there were many more. I didn't even include the POV's given to campaign workers that had dealer plates. I did it because of what was discussed at council. Had I known about this article I'd covered that in my show even more.

The point is. That is a violation of LAW. Not just campaign Law but state law. If you or I got caught doing the same thing we would be fined!

Same thing with the leasing. Does this mean if I lease a car from Patsy Lou dealership. I get to use a dealer plate? I can garuentee you I cannot! Nor can you. It is against the law! There are certain reasons you can use a dealer plate. Leasing and to be used for normal driving or rentals. Is not any of the reasons.
Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:51 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: