FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dishonest Dayne Walling
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Sara Simmons
F L I N T O I D

For those of you who aren't aware...

The Walling for Mayor campaign has hired a firm out of Lansing to make thousands of phone calls to voters in Flint. The calls started last weekend. Under the guise of taking a survey about the Mayor's race, the caller delivers negative, misleading, and flat out false information about Dayne's opponents.

Specifically, Dayne is slinging mud at Sheldon Neeley and Dale Weighill, the two candidates who scored big in last week's debate at Asbury. This type of negative campaigning is known as "push polling" and was perfected by George Bush in 2000 when he made slanderous phone calls against Sen. John McCain in the South Carolina primary (voters were told that McCain had fathered an illegitimate black child).

Haven't we had enough of this kind of politics here in Flint? Aren't voters looking for something positive and different this year?

Dayne Walling is being dishonest. He figures the only way he can win in August is to lie about his opponents.

I say we do the right thing and send him a message that Washington DC politics won't work in Flint.
Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:43 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Do regular robo-calls annoy you? I tried those one time but I only did 1,000 in the 48506 zip code of Flint.

I'm surprised Dayne doesn't just use the massive war chest on radio, TV and literature.

Do you know what specifically he is saying against Sheldon and Dale?
Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:36 am 
philanthropiclady
F L I N T O I D

I know several people who received those "push" poll calls and they were very upset with the nature of the questions. They were obvious attacks at Sheldon and Dale. I have talked with them both and they will not stand for it.
I guess Dayne and the Mayor practice the same sort of BULLY tactics. I say its APPALLING for WALLING to be doing this type of Washington DC politics.
Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:06 am 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

My question is this:

What is being said about these candidates? And is it true?

And if it is true...........then doesn't Walling have a right to be informative and educate potential voters about the truth.

If it's NOT true, then shame on the Walling campaign and the Weigell and Neely should respond with ferocity.

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:22 am 
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

Once again! To squelch the rumor mill....I WILL NOT be returning to Flint to run for Mayor....once again, I will not be returning to Flint to run for mayor....I would be the "Ultimate Carpetbagger" if that happened.
I can see everyone coming out of the woodwork now with quotes from different Flint sites from the past few years! My campaign would be over before my suitcases were unpacked!

Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:26 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Once again we are seeing people say things that they can't back up! Where is the proof I ask? I think Dayne is a pretty striaght shooter, and he has told me personally this campaign will be one built on clean door to door, people to people campaing. I would like to see proof before believing this!
From personal experience I know how people like to start rumors, show us the proof before making such a claim!

quote:
Sara Simmons schreef:
For those of you who aren't aware...

The Walling for Mayor campaign has hired a firm out of Lansing to make thousands of phone calls to voters in Flint. The calls started last weekend. Under the guise of taking a survey about the Mayor's race, the caller delivers negative, misleading, and flat out false information about Dayne's opponents.

Specifically, Dayne is slinging mud at Sheldon Neeley and Dale Weighill, the two candidates who scored big in last week's debate at Asbury. This type of negative campaigning is known as "push polling" and was perfected by George Bush in 2000 when he made slanderous phone calls against Sen. John McCain in the South Carolina primary (voters were told that McCain had fathered an illegitimate black child).

Haven't we had enough of this kind of politics here in Flint? Aren't voters looking for something positive and different this year?

Dayne Walling is being dishonest. He figures the only way he can win in August is to lie about his opponents.

I say we do the right thing and send him a message that Washington DC politics won't work in Flint.

Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Sara Simmons
F L I N T O I D

Dayne is anything but a straight shooter. His campaign is calling Democrats in Flint and telling them that Dale Weighill is a Republican. I know for a fact that Dale considers himself to be a Democrat and is a member of the Genesee County Democratic Party. He had a Granholm sign on his lawn last fall, for God's sake. Besides, this is supposed to be a nonpartisan race!

Dayne is playing very loose with the truth and needs to stick to the issues. Dale and Sheldon are two of the good guys who are running. Shouldn't we be focusing on defeating Williamson, not going after each other?
Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:03 pm 
JackieOH
F L I N T O I D

I received the "survey" call. It was quite apparent who paid for the calls. This is not a high school election. We do not need candidates going around starting rumors to make themselves look better. The only message that was sent, is that candidate is not qualified. We need a new Mayor with solid qualifications, not a gossipy cheerleader.

Flint was ranked in Time magazine as being one of the most dangerous cities in the country. The last thing we need is a new mayor who got into public office by slandering the other candidates to get ahead.

One word, KARMA!!!
Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:11 pm 
R. Lebeau
F L I N T O I D

Weighhill a Dem? Didn't he run several Republican campaigns for Republicans in Livonia?
Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:49 pm 
philanthropiclady
F L I N T O I D

quote:
R. Lebeau schreef:
Weighhill a Dem? Didn't he run several Republican campaigns for Republicans in Livonia?

Let me set the record straight. I have known Dale for almost 15 years. Yes Dale has worked for democrats and republicans.. considering his degree is in political science. he wanted a wide range experience in the political field so he took the jobs that were avaialble. That said.. Dale has been and will always be a Democrat. If you really new Dale personally!!!! youd know he's certainly NOT a conservative republican. Its almost laughable!
Even so Dayne is making phone calls to voters lieing and telling them dale is a republican.
Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:10 pm 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

Flint could only be so lucky to have Dayne Walling as a Mayor. That post makes it look like the other camps are guilty of what theyre accusing the Walling camp of doing

Dayne Walling is a man of character, class and intelligence. His experience in public administration, his educational background, and his passion for Flint is exactly what Flint needs--A respectable and educated man. When I was growing up in Flint, Matt Collier and James Sharp held the top post. Its all been down hill from there. Wow...I wish I had a Rhodes Scholar as a Mayor. The mayor of my big city is thug with famliy and friends on the payroll (like FLint?) and thinks he can get away with anything because his mother is a U.S. Congresswoman...His 'ghetto' mentality is bad for the city and bad for business.

Dayne Walling is a man that people can look up to. Dayne has worked his entire life building the skills and education to bring home to his hometown to make a difference...How many people have left Flint and never took a second look back? (me included) Dayne is giving up a possible lucrative political career nationally to do what he can to make his hometown, a better place.

People decide to enter politics for two reasons:1. Greed and Power or 2. Public Service. In which category do you think Dayne falls? I thought so...
In which category do you think the current mayor of Flint falls?

Look...I'm from Flint but I havent lived there in 18 years. And I admit, I don't know much about the other candidates. But for the last 10 years or so, I have gotten constant emails and correspondence from Mr. Dayne Walling about his hopes of making Flint a better place. He's obviously been training and working for this day for a long time. A carpetbagger? Not a chance. He's from Flint and is allowing Flint to benefit from his valuable worldly education and experiences if he becomes Mayor. And plus, what's the Mayor make? A lousy $100 grand or so? He hasnt been in FLint long enough as an adult to be jaded or to owe anyone anything. Give your city a fresh start, man! and reap the benefits of what can be the smartest, youngest public servant to ever lead a mid-size city. Start from scratch.

Demand some integrity and honesty from your public officials, and from what I know, there seems to be a lack of that in the current administration. Not very many people have integrity, honesty, morals and a true commitment to public service. I think Dayne has it down pat.

Best of luck to Dayne and his family. It would be nice to see young, qualified, educated and respectable true public servants occupying city hall.

Velda

Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Sara Simmons
F L I N T O I D

quote:
R. Lebeau schreef:

Dale has never run or worked on a Republican campaign. He did work for several months for a Republican House member in Lansing, but never did any campaign work for her or the Republican party. He has, however, worked on a bunch of Democratic campaigns: Gore, Clinton, Dukakis in '88, etc.
Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:35 pm 
Sara Simmons
F L I N T O I D

One way to judge a person's character is to see how they react to adversity. Do they handle it with integrity, maturity, and optimism, or do they react negatively and lash out at people?

Dayne Walling, for example, is facing off against two very capable public servants in this year's mayor's race: Sheldon Neeley and Dale Weighill. Both men have records of public and community service here in Flint. Both are good guys who are running campaigns based on issues important to the city. Both would make fine Mayors.

Dayne realizes Sheldon and Dale represent a threat to his dream of becoming Mayor. Instead of emphasizing the merits of his plan for Flint and engaging in a healthy debate about our future direction, Dayne has decided he needs to "knock these guys down a few pegs" (I am quoting him directly). So, his campaign is paying for a "survey" that makes misleading statements to Flint voters in the hopes of damaging his opponents.

Does this sound like a man of character? You be the judge.
Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:50 pm 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Sara Simmons schreef:
quote:
R. Lebeau schreef:

Dale has never run or worked on a Republican campaign. He did work for several months for a Republican House member in Lansing, but never did any campaign work for her or the Republican party. He has, however, worked on a bunch of Democratic campaigns: Gore, Clinton, Dukakis in '88, etc.

YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME!!! HE WORKED ON LAURA TOY'S (R)- LIVONIA campaign!!!

Why not return to his hometown of Livonia and run for Mayor there?

Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
R. Lebeau
F L I N T O I D

I'd say there is a huge difference between "working on" a campaign and "running" a campaign.

Have you heard Mr. Walling's plan? Have you personally looked thru his literature? Or do you just take your cues from your boss and set out to muckrake?
Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:15 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: